The 'Big Dogs' of Illinois Municipal Government: 2017 Edition

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2018/03/03/the-big-dogs-of-illinois-municipal-government-2017-edition/#621a03204221

Who are the 'Big Dogs' in 2017 – our list of the most highly compensated public employees in Illinois local government? It's a who's who of public servants – but most you've never heard of – who learned how to game the system for personal gain.

The latest salary and compensation data captured by our organization and posted at OpenTheBooks.com from fiscal year 2017 shows Illinois local governments needs far more scrutiny. With many Americans focused on Washington, D.C., citizens aren’t doing enough to stop taxpayer abuse in their own backyards, in their own neighborhoods.

In Illinois, 144 employees at local units of government made more than $190,000 and out-earned every governor. These highly compensated public employees work for municipalities, counties, health clinics, forest preserves, water, park, airport, and mass transit districts, and even some school districts.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Sickmint posted this in the property taxes thread, are you just wanting to discuss it on it's own I take it?

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Let's discuss, I'll go first.
Fuck

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I didn't see that thread.

Aggravating we pay such ridiculous high property taxes, and people are cashing in big on it.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Asinine.

Should be a cap for that position just like private companies

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Streamwood seems tame based of some of those rates... The Village Manager is the highest paid at $154K, then all the other department managers right behind her.

Spivitz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Think about the sweet ass pensions these fuckers are getting. G, why is the state broke again

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
What is the pension? Like is that dude from Grayslake going to retire at 58 years old and collect $225k a year for the rest of his life?

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile 911 centers and fire protection districts are being gutted, the level of service is going to shit . . . But yes we are the problem with local government

Outlaw

Reaction score
What is the pension? Like is that dude from Grayslake going to retire at 58 years old and collect $225k a year for the rest of his life?
Yeah probably 80% of gross? Not sure on that one but that's a pretty common figure.

Spivitz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Am sure it's real nice. I have a couple friends, both retired Firemen.

Retired at 50 $95,000 pension.... I always think Fuck, should had been a Fireman..
Oooops

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile 911 centers and fire protection districts are being gutted, the level of service is going to shit . . . But yes we are the problem with local government

The last one on this list is rare I'm assuming correct?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score

That’s a whole different topic, 911 surcharges are what make up most of the funds 911 centers use operationally. Those rates need to go up first, secondly the state needs to pay them out a lot faster. This whole consolidation legislature and the many different ETSB’s don’t make that any easier.

Can’t speak to fire protections districts.

As for these muni’s making buttloads of cash, having seen how they run would make you even more pissed. There are a few that work real hard for their constituents but there are so many more that don’t do their jobs and waste a fuckton if money!!!

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
its not only that, its at least 80-100% of full salary but then these guys take another position for a couple years after retirement that is funded by a different pension with less requirements and end up making BANK when they finally do retire.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Am sure it's real nice. I have a couple friends, both retired Firemen.

Retired at 50 $95,000 pension.... I always think Fuck, should had been a Fireman..
Oooops
My business partner is a retired Chief from CFD.
Retired like 2 months after making Chief at 55 years old.
His pension is 6 figures.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
ya my uncle retired as paramedic early 50's with full pension. Those 3 day shifts left him 4 day weekends to run a business so now he does that full time so living pretty comfortably I'd imagine.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
I still think first responders should get pensions.. that will be enough on its own for us to support, NOT THESE FUCKING VILLAGE MANAGERS.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
When I paid the taxes on the West Chicago house last June (and September), I layed out the year over year change. Surprisingly, even in DuPage County, it wasn't the Pension Funds that added up to the biggest year over year increase. They were only $12.92 of the $728 increase. So I was shocked.

The bulk of that increase, $345, went to District 33 schools (the elementry schools in town), and District 94 (the high school), got $159. This for schools that I don't use BTW! This befuddles me because neither there are building new schools or having any major infrastructure for them being upgraded, rebuilt, etc...

I got the WeGo Park district increase of $39 because of the new Arc center up at Reed Keppler park, but...

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
I still think first responders should get pensions.. that will be enough on its own for us to support, NOT THESE FUCKING VILLAGE MANAGERS.
Disagree personally.

I say pay them more now and let them invest in their own retirements. If they can still plan well enough to retire at 50, then good for them. Retiring at 50 and having us pay for the rest of their lives I'll pass on though.

Spivitz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Beautiful plan, boooost your already inflated salary, hell double it right before you retire.
Collect sick pension.... Retire in Naples, laugh your ass off year round in your pool.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Disagree personally.

I say pay them more now and let them invest in their own retirements. If they can still plan well enough to retire at 50, then good for them. Retiring at 50 and having us pay for the rest of their lives I'll pass on though.
I can sort of agree with this. Not sure about how the suburban fire departments work. But the Chgo guys have it fucking made!!! Besides my business partner we have 4-5 CFD guys that work for us part time. The shit these guys tell me and the extra shit they get paid for.......smfh is all I will say.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Even if you bump their pay something like 15k a year over their current salary, if they work 30 years that's $450,000 over their work period. Better than them retiring at 50 and paying them 75k a year for 20+ years.

Same for the teachers, pay them more now and they're on their own with a 401k. Paying these people ridiculous amounts for the remainder of their lives is just way too much a burden on tax payers.

radioguy6

Reaction score
Mostly Cook and Lake county, home of the highest property taxes in the state. I'd like to job shadow these village managers and see what makes them worth $250k+/year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom