Food / Drink The Best Beef Jerky

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
How similar is it to the Buffalo bills brand? I really only like their hickory smoked though, I hate any jerky that's sweet, gotta be salty AF and their hickory smoked is fuckin' salty AF. Perfect for basketball nights to keep that sodium content up to par and blood pressure too high.
I see what you're saying now, packaging is the same

Screenshot_20181204-084411_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
it starts as half an inch thick, raw, i bet it winds up as pretty thin when you're done drying it out.

Ya, when it dries it will reduce in size for sure. But this stuff probably starts out thinner. Like lunch meat I bet. It is thin as the original stuff is left to air dry. Thinner cuts would make it easier to air dry. But most people don't have a way to slice stuff that thin. But I guess you can ask your butcher to cut if for you. Hmmm Maybe I should try that and get a drying rack to do this. Save some money. lol

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ya, when it dries it will reduce in size for sure. But this stuff probably starts out thinner. Like lunch meat I bet. It is thin as the original stuff is left to air dry. Thinner cuts would make it easier to air dry. But most people don't have a way to slice stuff that thin. But I guess you can ask your butcher to cut if for you. Hmmm Maybe I should try that and get a drying rack to do this. Save some money. lol

you can get some decent meat slicers for pretty cheap now too

i got one a few years back and it can go quite thin

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Y'all are going to think I'm crazy but I have had a lot of good luck this summer with Great Value. I bought it on one of my ATV trips and it was awesome. Tender and flavorful, not to mention cheaper than Jack Link's. I tried it a couple different times and flavors over the summer and was not disappointed.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
If we are talking quality and flavor, Kalahari Biltong is the best I have had. The original and Peri Peri (spicey) is my favorites. But calling it jerky isn't truely fair. It is thin sliced and still soft. Like a cured meat. The guy was in South Africa where he tried this style of jerky. It isn't like the sugar filled jerky you are accustomed to at all.

"Their product is air-dried like prosciutto, hung for more than two weeks, rather than baked at high heat. Hand-sliced strips of pasture-raised beef, sourced from small family farms in Pennsylvania, are marinated in vinegar, salt, black pepper, mild chile seasoning, and ground coriander seed. Flavors are deeply meaty and altogether addictive, with a surprisingly tender chew."

will try these out.. I'm doing keto and its been hard finding jerky and meat snacks without added sugar/carbs.

For beef sticks, these are my favorite so far.

https://chomps.com/

Web_24_Beef_Jalapeno_x1200.png

Web_24_beef_original_x1200.png

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Of course slim jim is delicious but I recently started thinking Jack Link beef sticks are better

There's a place in South Elgin off 31 where I used to get some jerky or snack sticks from. They'd have different meats for their snack sticks like wild hog, gators, kangaroo, beef, deer, and I think a few others. Can be a little pricey but good.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I just ordered a different companies Biltong to see if it is as good but at a better price. I will update when I get it in.

So the second brand of Biltong I ordered here came in and I was very disappointed in the lack of flavor. It was pretty bland in comparison to the Kalahari brand. But although bland it was cut thicker and still very easy to chew. This might be more for those looking to fit it in a specific diet and want to eat a lot of Biltong as it is much cheaper, $2.19 per ounce versus $3.67 per ounce :eek3: .

Even though the Kalahari brand is expensive, but to me, it still has the best eating experience and flavor. Bar none.

My rankings of Jerky I have had in the last year or so with prices.

Jack Links Pork Korean BBQ - $1.73
Jack Links Hickory bacon - $?
Kalahari Peri Peri - $4.00 / oz
Kalahari original - 3.67 / oz
Barron Creek garlic - $2.50 / oz
Buc-ees garlic - $1.29 / oz
Jack Links 16 oz - $1.37 / oz
Below are jerky I would not buy again.
Country Archer - $1.38 / oz
Brooklyn Biltong - 2.19 / oz
Pawnee Bill (way too salty) - $2.19 / oz

Some other jerky I like that isn't beef is the Jack Links Pork Korean BBQ. (I added these to my list) Tender and great flavor. I love Korean BBQ and they nailed the flavor for sure. Then Jack Links Jerky Hickory Smoked bacon. It's bacon. Of what else is there to say? :rofl:

Thread Info