đź“° Auto News The average new car price is now $40,573

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I saw a few videos in the past week with parking lots full of repossessed vehicles. They said anywhere from 5 to 10 times what they normally would see. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues.
It's been happening all year. My friend works for a company that developed recovery scanning cameras for repos. They've been booming. The market adjusting is starting to (and will) make it worse.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
When I go used I try to take it out for the max I can 5-6 years, I like to have a low payment which gives some room in case of job loss etc... ( I’m in sales it’s a up and down thing ) I also pay more into each month and end up paying off my car early, or equity for a new to me pre owned.
I always do this when I take out a loan on a car. At least in the past I did when interest rates were less than 3.9% for 72 months. For now I plan to keep my '17 Escape as long as I can.

I like having a low monthly payment for the months that I may be short on cash. I always pay extra and end up getting ahead on the loan in the months when I can afford to. It's also nice being able to skip the payment some months too. I usually end up paying off a 72 months loan, at least a year early.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I was thinking about the ASP on new cars the other day and with absolutely no data to back up my numbers here I recalled that in the early 90s my parents bought decent, middle of the road cars for about 20k to 25k. A eagle vision tsi, eagle talon tsi, ford explorer Eddie Bauer v6, dodge grand caravan… so not cheap ass entry level cars, but not luxury autos by any means. I’d consider those average vehicles that a lot of people bought at the time. Well in todays money that $20-25k car is about $40-45k. So are cars really that much more expensive now? Or did wages just not really keep up with inflation so they seem more expensive?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I was thinking about the ASP on new cars the other day and with absolutely no data to back up my numbers here I recalled that in the early 90s my parents bought decent, middle of the road cars for about 20k to 25k. A eagle vision tsi, eagle talon tsi, ford explorer Eddie Bauer v6, dodge grand caravan… so not cheap ass entry level cars, but not luxury autos by any means. I’d consider those average vehicles that a lot of people bought at the time. Well in todays money that $20-25k car is about $40-45k. So are cars really that much more expensive now? Or did wages just not really keep up with inflation so they seem more expensive?
There's data on this out there but you're right, vehicle CPI over the past few decades was pretty much in line with inflation (ie super low) until covid happened. Keep in mind CPI/inflation factors in quality improvements and cars have advanced in quality/technology damn near as fast as phones have, so while the sticker price might outpace inflation, that's mostly accounted for when you factor in improvements in quality and features.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
People complain about the stickers of cars right now, take an escalade for example. Then I remember that my dad had a fwd deville that was like $50k in 2001. That is $83,800 in todays money for a vehicle that was a total piece of shit. So as crazy as it sounds, 100k for a 2022 escalade makes total sense lol

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
People complain about the stickers of cars right now, take an escalade for example. Then I remember that my dad had a fwd deville that was like $50k in 2001. That is $83,800 in todays money for a vehicle that was a total piece of shit. So as crazy as it sounds, 100k for a 2022 escalade makes total sense lol
Not to mention compared to todays cars, older cars are complete death traps. New vehicles are unbelievably safe compared to cars even 15 years ago

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Not to mention compared to todays cars, older cars are complete death traps. New vehicles are unbelievably safe compared to cars even 15 years ago
That's almost always true though.

A car today is probably 2x-3x safer than one produced 15yrs ago, and the same 15yr old car is 2x-3x safer than a car produced 30yrs ago.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
For sure, and I think it'll be significant. I also think the "fun" cars that we're all interested in have a lot more room to correct than SUV's, trucks and sedans. Nobody is going to buy something they don't need for top dollar at 7% and IMO there are very few cash buyers in the performance market, despite what some people think. Can't wait to see how far c8's drop lol

Make 911 turbos depreciate 15%/year again

For new vehicles, who knows. My guess is msrp's stay high but the OEM's spend a lot of money buying low interest loans for their customers.

View attachment 138399
Can't wait for the carvana clearance section

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Have I got a Chinese truck for you!

jin cheng wu laugh GIF

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info