🔧 BUILD The auto NA Supra build -- Jamming a 6.2L LS into a Supra.

General Information

Let me first start off by saying that this isnt my car. I have been hired to get some work done on it for the owner, and may end up getting it 100% finished up. Anyway, lets dive right in shall we :D

This car is a 1995 Hardtop auto N/A car that is white with a black interior, and I believe it came from Texas. The owner was able to scoop it up before the prices went absolutely insane. He has done a lot of the work to the car before it came to me such as stripping out the drivetrain, modifying the tunnel, etc.

So lets jump into pics!

i-NbHDvDW-X4.jpg

Lots of projects as always
i-ffGwV3r-X4.jpg

i-rSqLN3p-X4.jpg

I have to say, having these cars side by side they really are VERY alike. Now lets get to the contriversial part :D

i-6mG2jTW-X2.jpg

The motor is a all aluminum 6.2 with a cam. I dont know all the specs, but its new lifters (DOD delete), pushrods, I think a trunion upgrade, head gaskets and ARP head bolts. It has and f-body pan, and he is still sorting out the front drive setup. I thnk he has it figured out just trying to find some of the parts. The trans is a 6L80e with a Circle D Specialties converter and Lokar shifter. The trans tunnel needed some serious massaging to make it fit, lucky for me I didnt have to deal with that LOL

1688880577146.png

I have been tasked with getting the motor and trans bolted together (along with the converter), and installed in the car., fabricating a transmission crossmember, getting the shifter mounted and set up for now. I may end up finishing the car, but not sure just yet.

As it is I started in on the shfter first just incase I needed acess from under the car at all. I knew I would have none once the trans was in. Here is the Lokar shifter all laid out on my bench. It is a very nice unit, I was impressed.

i-FrH33z6-X4.jpg

I made a plate that bolts into the stock bolt holes, and then bolted the shifter to the plate. Nice and simple, but gets the job done.

i-ftqSTBG-X4.jpg

i-jjSHZFh-X2.jpg

He brought the car to me with the auto shifter bezel, so I made it fit that.
i-qPhrWgz-X4.jpg

He brought the car to me with the manual shifter bezel, so I made it fit that.
i-jHCr8qP-X4.jpg

The manual bezel needs a little trimming on the bottom side, but I am pretty happy with it. Next up I had to do something about the rear cross brace. The owner had cut it out, and planned to clean it up. Well since I was installing the motor, I figured now is the time to tackle it.

Before
i-ndJhg3p-X4.jpg

During
i-8VSTPJH-X4.jpg

i-NDmZPjS-X4.jpg

And after some paint
i-qvB3PNg-X4.jpg

Once that was done, I started getting the engine ready to go starting with the flexplate. I had some new OEM bolts to throw in.
i-BgG7Ms3-X4.jpg

All done and torqued
i-FL7d7FL-X4.jpg

Next were the Sikky headers and the new dipstick
i-XFnrxmn-X4.jpg

i-hXq25WR-X4.jpg

After that (but should have been before) were the Sikky mounts. I also installed a new block heater plug that he supplied.
i-3nKhQFK-X4.jpg

i-RxVB7jQ-X4.jpg

I am gonna stop this post here since its getting pretty long. I have been videoing this as well for YouTube, so I should have that up soon as well. Let me know what you think of this one :D

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Its been a hot minute, but I am back to working on this thing. I keep doing a little here and there, but we will just focus on the main work over the last couple of weeks.

Started laying out all of the various fittings and things for the car. This covers fuel, trans cooler, catch can, and I think thats all.
i-L4s2kPD-X4.jpg

Once I had that all sorted so I knew what was working with, I started with the fuel. I already had one of the lines run, and the other length of line came with a bunch of these fittings so it seemed like a good place to start. Since we have had good weather I was able to move everything out from under the car so I could lower it down and work with the door open.
i-HGpwtHT-X4.jpg

i-PZn6nkH-X2.jpg

I noticed it had a hose clamp around the fuel pump hanger deal. I guess someone has been in here before for something.
i-zg8qwCv-X2.jpg

I dont know what for though, shit looks original to me. Maybe it had a pump done a long time ago, who knows.
i-tBjV6D4-X2.jpg

I stared setting up the new hanger and pump, and moved the level senor over.
i-9p6bQDw-X2.jpg

I am not quite sure how I want to make all my connections yet. I am thinking some deutch connectors, but not sure.

Anyway, I decided to finish routing the fuel lines this past weekend. I had to remove the remaining bits of the stock stuff first, and of course got gas in my eye! Once I flushed that out and put on safety glasses, no more fuel.

He decided he wanted to run -8 feed and return lines. I am glad he didnt do -10 like I wanted because the -8 is pretty much the largest that would fit.

i-d2ps7HV-X2.jpg

i-sJpgwKg-X4.jpg

i-hp6hKh3-X4.jpg

i-bbghz8R-X4.jpg

i-DBdMDW5-X4.jpg

With that done I moved on to the fuel filter.
i-VwzCFBD-X4.jpg

That was pretty much all I had time for. I want to finish up the fuel plumbing, I need to finish setting up and wiring the fuel pump hanger before I can get that in. He also needs to get some different fittings for the rails and the regulator so I can wrap up the engine side.

Speaking of plumbing, we laid out a lot of the fittings needed a while back and I wrote down 4 1/2 NPT to -6 fittings. He bought them, and I cant for the life of me think of what the hell we need them for LOL I also need to find the right fittings for the trans cooler. They are 3/8" female compression on the cooler and we are running -6 AN. Which brings me to the next hang up, the trans side of the cooler. He brought me the ICT adapter, but even after giving it a lot of room in the tunnel it still has no chance of fitting. I bought the motion one which comes out at a 90, and will clear. Only downside is that the engine and trans will need to come out to install it first. Technically only the trans has to come out, but I will take both to make other things easier.

Thats all for now. I am trying to boune back and forth between this car and my car. I have a race the first week of june, and I also want to get this one wrapped out and out so I can bring in the new car. I am going to work on getting some videos up soon for both cars.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Those fuel line brackets are neat looking, are they application specific? I'm guessing not inexpensive regardless.
They are super nice. They are also application specific (Supra and SC). They are fucking expensive. I wanted them for my car, then saw the price and figured adel clapms and riv nuts are JUST fine :)

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I worked on this thing some more!! Vince brought over some of the fittings I needed, so I tried to finish the fuel lines. I started by plumbing the feed to the Y block.

i-xdQftRc-X4.jpg

Turns out I am probably going to move that. Once I lowered the car back down I didnt really like the space I had to get the lines though. Hard to see, but that also kind of ilistrates the point.
i-xNcTdjx-X2.jpg

I messed around with the routing and I think I have it figured out, but of course that means I need some new fittings.
i-d56gf6X-X4.jpg

Then I messed around with the catch can. I went back and forth on where to put it, but ultimeately decided on the firewall. Unfortunately that means I need to (you guessed it) order some fittings to make it work.
i-kbdKFqC-X2.jpg

Last up, I figured lets start laying out the engine harness just to see what I am dealing with. Its a BP Automotive harness which is really nice.
i-WHLW979-X4.jpg

It may not look all that bad, but it gets worse
i-8cQdjnn-X4.jpg

Most of that goes inside the car so I guess thats something. The last thing I did was lay out the belt routing for a sanity check. I wanted to verify that we do need that idler up high on the passenger side.
i-Sj7Ck7Z-X4.jpg

The keen eye among you will notice that the TB is flipped from the first pic. The harness wants the plug on the passenger side, so thats why I flipped it. May have to go back and extend the wiring. I also need to check some more of the connections to make sure everything reaches and how the routing is going to be.

Well thats enough for now. Gonna go post about my car :D

Reactions: BS ISF and IDAFC21

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
That wiring harness actually looks really nice. Usually when people post up pics of wiring I start having panic attacks :ROFLMAO:
It is a very nice harness. I will do my best to route it as cleanly as possible too which will help. When I pull everything out I think I am going to lay the harness on out of the car. I have to double check how the firewall gomet is, it may want to go from inside to out not out to in if that makes sense.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Hey, this thing! I am back to working on it now that Sick Summer is over and I can take it easy on my car. I am working on the brakes first, so lets dive in.

I think it needs new studs!
i-r22zpWB-X2.jpg

Lets knock em out
i-5THQNsC-X4.jpg

Thats better
i-mmdxLVg-X4.jpg

I am not sure if I ever mentioned it before, but he is doing CTS-V brakes on this thing. They are absolutely fucking massive! Allow me to show you :)

Here is a rear caliper
i-Hw7cGbX-X4.jpg

Here is a front caliper
i-swQ3KpG-X4.jpg

My hand compared to the front rotor.
i-LQDNsCV-X2.jpg

Lets get these (kinda) on the car. Here is the stock front rotor vs the new one.
i-MmKZks9-X2.jpg

i-cn7nwPV-X4.jpg

i-wM8qpgb-X4.jpg

How about with the stock caliper for comparison
i-b3PLhVC-X4.jpg

Rear caliper just kinda sorta on
i-ZN5sGDz-X4.jpg

i-zfrhLKQ-X4.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do, and I need the rear rotors which he has already. I just wanted to get some idea what I was working with. I need to deal with the dust shields, do some grinding and so on and so on. I also have to remove the rear hubs to do the studs out back. I guess thats a good learning experience for when I do my wheel studs LOL.

Thats all for now, but there should be more coming soon. I want to get this wrapped up and out so I can bring in the next car :D

Thread Info