🔧 BUILD The auto NA Supra build -- Jamming a 6.2L LS into a Supra.

General Information

Let me first start off by saying that this isnt my car. I have been hired to get some work done on it for the owner, and may end up getting it 100% finished up. Anyway, lets dive right in shall we :D

This car is a 1995 Hardtop auto N/A car that is white with a black interior, and I believe it came from Texas. The owner was able to scoop it up before the prices went absolutely insane. He has done a lot of the work to the car before it came to me such as stripping out the drivetrain, modifying the tunnel, etc.

So lets jump into pics!

i-NbHDvDW-X4.jpg

Lots of projects as always
i-ffGwV3r-X4.jpg

i-rSqLN3p-X4.jpg

I have to say, having these cars side by side they really are VERY alike. Now lets get to the contriversial part :D

i-6mG2jTW-X2.jpg

The motor is a all aluminum 6.2 with a cam. I dont know all the specs, but its new lifters (DOD delete), pushrods, I think a trunion upgrade, head gaskets and ARP head bolts. It has and f-body pan, and he is still sorting out the front drive setup. I thnk he has it figured out just trying to find some of the parts. The trans is a 6L80e with a Circle D Specialties converter and Lokar shifter. The trans tunnel needed some serious massaging to make it fit, lucky for me I didnt have to deal with that LOL

1688880577146.png

I have been tasked with getting the motor and trans bolted together (along with the converter), and installed in the car., fabricating a transmission crossmember, getting the shifter mounted and set up for now. I may end up finishing the car, but not sure just yet.

As it is I started in on the shfter first just incase I needed acess from under the car at all. I knew I would have none once the trans was in. Here is the Lokar shifter all laid out on my bench. It is a very nice unit, I was impressed.

i-FrH33z6-X4.jpg

I made a plate that bolts into the stock bolt holes, and then bolted the shifter to the plate. Nice and simple, but gets the job done.

i-ftqSTBG-X4.jpg

i-jjSHZFh-X2.jpg

He brought the car to me with the auto shifter bezel, so I made it fit that.
i-qPhrWgz-X4.jpg

He brought the car to me with the manual shifter bezel, so I made it fit that.
i-jHCr8qP-X4.jpg

The manual bezel needs a little trimming on the bottom side, but I am pretty happy with it. Next up I had to do something about the rear cross brace. The owner had cut it out, and planned to clean it up. Well since I was installing the motor, I figured now is the time to tackle it.

Before
i-ndJhg3p-X4.jpg

During
i-8VSTPJH-X4.jpg

i-NDmZPjS-X4.jpg

And after some paint
i-qvB3PNg-X4.jpg

Once that was done, I started getting the engine ready to go starting with the flexplate. I had some new OEM bolts to throw in.
i-BgG7Ms3-X4.jpg

All done and torqued
i-FL7d7FL-X4.jpg

Next were the Sikky headers and the new dipstick
i-XFnrxmn-X4.jpg

i-hXq25WR-X4.jpg

After that (but should have been before) were the Sikky mounts. I also installed a new block heater plug that he supplied.
i-3nKhQFK-X4.jpg

i-RxVB7jQ-X4.jpg

I am gonna stop this post here since its getting pretty long. I have been videoing this as well for YouTube, so I should have that up soon as well. Let me know what you think of this one :D

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Oh, this ole thing! Ready for a big update?

I eventually got the engine and trans back in after beating the hell out of the tunnel. Then I moved it to side to work on my car LOL. Now that my pile is done enough, I am going to be getting back onto the Supra. I moved it back up onto the lift the other day so I can start making the trans crossmember.

i-8kM6Gp3-X4.jpg

Thats all I got.

Oh, and maybe this
i-rP5bVzd-X4.jpg

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Here it is, the moment nobody has been waiting for!!! I finally started working on this thing again :)

It's been a while since I have done a video, so sorry in advance. I want to get back to doing one a week, which will keep me moving on the cars. I have a LOT to do to both of them, so I need to get cracking. Anyway let me know what you all think!

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
rolling an engine hoist around in flip flops

TLzF1MQ.gif

:LOL:

LOL yeah.... Thats my neighbor who is always down to help, even if he was just swinging by to hang out. I was gonna use the clip of me doing it by myself, but it was dragging on. This was actually the second time it all went in. I did it myself, then found that the trans tunnel needed a good bit more work. Took it all out did a lot of shit, and then this clip of it going in and actually fitting.

Suuuuubscribed
WOO thanks!!!

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Monday I had some free time, so I ran down to my buddies shop to do some machining. I recorded it all, so I will probably put it in a video, but here is the end result.

Had to knock down two if the bosses on the water pump to clear the bracket
20220207_160714-X4.jpg

And then made up some new pieces for the trans crossmember. Had to make them a bit thicker for the new trans.
20220207_160642-X4.jpg

Nothing too crazy, but both of these have been holding me up for a bit. Unfortunately I seem to have fucked up my shoulder pretty good. We will see what the Dr says on Friday, but as it is now I cant work on a car for sure :( At least I will be ready to go as soon as I have this all figured out.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
i spy a 3d printed sumthin

those big slots are Deezuz approved
He does some 3D printing for prototyping. Its a CNC job shop, basically they can do anything with metal. Actually another friend of mine works for a big 3D printer company and when they were first rolling out thier metal printers he brought a bunch of parts down to the machine shop to see how workable the prints were. That was pretty cool, we machined them, welded them, etc. DIfferent metals, different fills and so on.

Kaman Tool in Cicero

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Small update today. After being injured, or sick for the last few weeks I was finally able to back in the garage for a bit. I don't have a good excuse, but I really just didnt get out there as much as I should have this weekend. Anyway I worked on getting the front drive stuff worked out.

20220227_142406-X4.jpg

So that is a Vortch blower with an A&A C6 bracket setup. The advantage is that it is VERY compact. The disadvantage is that its very COMPACT. As you saw in my last post I had to machine the water pump to clear, but it looks like its still hitting.

This is where its still hitting. I wasnt told that this area needed any work, and was never able to get it assembled far enough before to see it.
20220227_142327-X2.jpg

Here you can see the two places I did machine down, and how close they still are.
20220227_142336-X2.jpg

20220227_142349-X2.jpg

Now It may actually fit without doing more work. This is clearly a used kit, and came mostly loose a while back. There are a mix of bolts and spacers that are different sizes, and there is not really any clear indication where most of it goes. I have figured out a lot of it, but there are still some open questions for sure. The instructions I have found so far are not all that helpful. I will probably reach out to A&A directly to get the info I am after.

For now I should have it installed enough to worry about the rest of the accesories. Hopefully the rest of those go a bit easier than it has been so far. The owner is alos suposed to be brining me the intake bolts and some other parts so I can keep installing things for the final time. As much as I love having this car around, I want to get it done so I can start on my car which is getting a lot of work.

Thats all for now. I am going to try and get a video out this week about it. In the meantime thanks for following along!

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Apparently its a Paxton?
i-nMNmKjP-X2.jpg

But anyway, it came off so it doesnt matter anymore :D The owner came out last weekend and we talked over a bunch of stuff and ultimately decided to forgo the blower for now. The good news is that kind of cleared the way to get some shit done finally. I didnt take a lot of pics along the way, but I got a few. First up, I apparently got the wrong intake manifold gaskets.

i-sSqxCzq-X2.jpg

So that project will have to wiat to be completed. I put the injectors in after that so the intake is basically ready to go when I get the right ones. Then I moved on to the front drive stuff.

i-Ttvd7F2-X2.jpg

It was about here that I found the brand new alternator
i-JMprVBF-X2.jpg

Got it swapped out
i-9bxJMfr-X2.jpg

Then did the power steering pump
i-CQsCQSw-X4.jpg

I called it a night there, and came back out in the morning to finish up. Starting with the tensioner on the pasenger side. He had one that "fit" but didnt fit with the throttlebody.

i-gMKMcjZ-X2.jpg

I had some others around the garage, and also a smaller pulley to try. None of them worked or helped in any way, so I left this one on as is, and flipped the throttle over.

Once that was sorted out I put the power steering pulley on, and just went through everything and tightened it all up. Got the coil packs and the mounts all finished up, well except for the one missing coil pack. Got the thermostat and housing intsalled, the steam vent closer to done and a few other little things. Here is how it looked more or less when I called it a day.

i-dJ97QXt-X4.jpg

He is ordering up all new sensors, a coil pack, and a new crank pulley. I also tacked up the trans crossmember, so I need to get new hardware for it so I can actually bolt it in properly and make sure its all good.

So thats all for this weekend, Ill have a video at some point to go with it.

Thread Info