🔧 BUILD The 1954 Bel Air Build Thread

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Yeah you guys aren't wrong.
Even my C10 which I did most of the plumbing on had a few slow leaks I have had to address. Pain in the ass.
The adjustability of air is the only thing that draws me to it.
My buddy ordered the crossmember and brake master/booster shit.
Once I get that mounted and do some measuring I'll order the rest of the suspension shit.
If the weather holds tomorrow I may run down and get the new gas tank in.
I hope to have this thing back on the ground early-mid March and driving down the road before Easter.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Air ride would probably be more comfortable. Also, you're a mad man. I can't even find the time to the pull the dash out of the car sitting in my garage and you trailered the car and have it half apart.
This thing came apart fuckin easy. Everything so far has been easy. I hope it continues.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I've been slacking here on the pics and updates.
Did get down there this last weekend and got the brakes about updated.
The supposedly bolt in CPP booster/master combo didn't work - not for use with manual trans vehicles. Had to search for a while to figure that out as they don't list it on their site until you go 3 layers deep.
But, found a Chassis Engineering brake that bolts in and will let me keep the stick. So, installed that. No pics, sorry, busy jamming shit out.
Then my buddy came down and we got after the M2.
Measure about 45x, beat the crossmember into place, added the spring hats and tacked it all in place.
Then installed the suspension to verify we aren't idiots and that the tires are centered in the wheelwell.

PXL_20230307_000744883.jpg
PXL_20230307_011229013.jpg

There's no spring in there in these pics, just the jack to check position at ride height.
I think it'll be ok as we are. If not M2 drop spindles are cheap.

Night off tomorrow night to grab a beer with a friend who's gonna be in town.
Then if the weather holds I'll be back down there to finish weld everything Wednesday or this weekend.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Went back down this morning and got the finish welding wrapped up. Then put everything together for hopefully the last time.
It's back on all 4 now.

PXL_20230311_184614548.jpg
PXL_20230311_184639458.jpg

I need to order a coil over adjusting wrench, some drop spindles so I can keep this ride height and adjust the coil overs up some.

Gonna go back down tomorrow and install the rack and tre's. If time I'm going to run front brake lines and get brakes connected up.

Monday I need to order the split manifold, spindles, column saver and blocks to drop the rear. Hope to have that shit by next weekend, if so and the weather is decent I should be able to pound that all out except the manifold. I'll wait till I have the other carb rebuilt then swap intake/exhaust manifolds together.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Fought with the rack install the last 2 weekends but getting about to the point I can see the light.

Source of my problem - the steering shaft from the column to the rack went right through the driver's motor mount stand.

You can see the mounting plate off of the motor just left of my hand here.
PXL_20230326_201151755.jpg

Yesterday I got the steering column torn down and shortened. Also got the column saver stuck in it.
Today went down, supported the driver's side of the motor and pulled the mounting bracket. Got that trimmed up to the point the rack would fit and also clearances it for the steering shaft.
Got that all done, measured for steering shaft and cut one to fit only to find the shaft hits the frame rail.
Called it at that point, ordered a double joint and another support bearing for the shaft.
My hope is that the double joint will get the shaft over outside of the frame rail and give enough clearance to bolt it all together.
So, getting there but not there yet...

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Went down today and got to work - finished up the steering shaft - set length, threw a couple tig tacks on it just to be safe, reassembled the shifter box for the 3-on-the-tree shifter, installed 2" dropped spindles and gave it a quick home brew alignment.

IMG_20230408_211036.jpg
IMG_20230408_211038.jpg
IMG_20230408_211053.jpg

That's ride height, might be a little low but too low is just right for me. It has a very small rake at this height too which is good to my eyes.
Wifey is on direct orders to pay attention when she's driving it.

Tomorrow going back down and going to finish assembling the steering column, bleed the brakes, finish wiring up the alternator. Monday I hope to get gas in the tank and find out if the fuel pump is good.

Thread Info