that doesn't look quite right

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
after much time/pain/dollars, cylinder 2 developed misfire has been identified - some ugly arse looking direct injectors.

cyl 4 was still stuck in car. seal compromised on 2. 3 not looking so hot either. close up of 2.

my mechanic says e85 is primarily to blame for this. car purchased in 2012, tracked 2013. e85 early 2015. have run 93 in winters and e85 during track season. 53k miles? many a track day, although driver still slows. might just cycle in some 93 tanks or not run e85 until track day. anyone else ever get this nastiness?

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
If you don't cycle in 93 every few tanks, you should probably throw something like the Lucas ethanol fuel conditioner. That might help.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
thought i heard not to use something like that on DI engines or something like that? all out now.

surprisingly the hot 1/3 side i've replaced many a coil pack on looks far better than the 2/4 side.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd do a compression or better yet a leak down test on the cylinders.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is there a big enough power difference from 93 to E85 that warrants this as worth the trouble?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
I'd do a compression or better yet a leak down test on the cylinders.
cold
88 87 88 88

hot just did #2, 87

Is there a big enough power difference from 93 to E85 that warrants this as worth the trouble?
modest but noticeable gain.

same driver, owns 2 86s, e85 one 93 the other. ab south

if my only change is running 93 between track days and having it last at least as long/longer, tolerable

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Those are definitely good enough for the small sacrifice of switching on track days IMO. HP wise that's probably pretty significant. There's just no way to do this without the destruction? This is 2019, we are in a time where everything is possible...?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
Those are definitely good enough for the small sacrifice of switching on track days IMO. HP wise that's probably pretty significant. There's just no way to do this without the destruction? This is 2019, we are in a time where everything is possible...?
i'm not exactly clear on the problem. sounds like it is e85, sounds perhaps more accurately that it is additives put in e85? my ports looked pretty clean btw.

the flex fuel kit is all aftermarket. we were going to see if there are injectors that could be used instead that are actually designed differently for e and would perform better. if not i'll just be popping in all new oem ones.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
E85 is definitely corrosive , I actually just bought some of that Lucas e85 stuff Pressure ratio posted seems legit, feels like an oil of some type one bottle treats like 80 gallons, I’ll probably pull the injectors this next winter and have them cleaned anyway though

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
another guy posted some injectors with 25k miles and 20 autocrosses and 1 track day. his looked pretty good. he thinks some water got on top of mine. seems surprising to have that to happen to multiple though? doesn't really change my plans i suppose either way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom