3800 Thalord!! & club =aim virus

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
Someone posted this on CLUBGP this is the link I clicked and since then my comp is been acting funny RE:the post I made yesterday about my comp!!!

has anyone noticed this. ive noticed alot of people with the exact same profile. a link that says " whoa look what i found." now i have it. everytime i sign on its in my profile. i delete it put it back to normal and next time it goes back to that damn link. how do you get rid of it? my friend said it was some virus thats going around.

i just figured it out. if you quickly click on the link. there is a pop-up window that no one prob reads. it informs you it is gonan install a file on your computer that will effect your AIm profile. it even tells you teh file name is "b.exe" to get rid of it. sign off of AIM and exit the program totally. go to task manager " ctrl+alt+delete" and scroll down to you see something called "B". end that task. do a file search for b.exe and delete it. restart computer and you should be all set

(Is that how I get rid of it??)

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
sounds like the virii that my bro infectedmy network with... W32.Spybot.Worm ...

Takes advantage of a security vulnerability with Microsoft Media Player where it is allowed to upload a file to your computer... then it is able to determine the location of your local cache and redirect your browser to your local cache and the executable thus infecting you...

Once infected it sends security information (logons and passwords) to a remote IRC server.....

I had a guy take over my account a while back... but when I did a lil research and found out who he was where he lived etc. etc... he got so scared he gave me back my AIM handle :)

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
just make sure your virus definitions are up to date...

Apparently the "you're logged on at xxx computers" is something new... but they don't seem to have the bugs worked out...

Right now I'm seeing:
"AOL System Msg: Your screen name (MichaelHorist) is now signed into AOL® Instant Messenger ™ in 3 locations. Click here for more information."

earlier today it was 2 (my home PC and work PC) ... but during the day I lost network connection at work... when I signed back on it didn't log off my other session and since my work network has multiple IPs to the net it thought I was a new session...so now it's 3

just an annoyance ... thing that really sucks is you can't block it :(

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by syP@Nov 24 2003, 05:10 PM
that impossible... when you sign onto your name from another location it automatically kicks you off on the 1st computer... make sure you have aim 5.2 +
apparently it's changed as of sometime this weekend or today...

http://www.aim.com/password/routing.adp

wow... guess it's not too new:
http://www.ddrgirl.com/it/archives/00000145.htm

but seems they may have just started it with AIM only (whereas before it was only if you had AIM and AOL open)

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by dole21@Nov 24 2003, 06:39 PM
so...I never clicked on the link in the message. but could I still have gotten the virus or anthing like that? would it be able to steal my password? All I did was accept the message and it said something like in the 2nd link you provided.

?
it's not a virus (the message from AOL System Msg) ... it's AOL, it's a message from AOL, 100% legit, nothing funky going on... AOL just made a change

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info