• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Testing coil packs

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
Testing cop's & fuel filter

Can CoP's be tested? If so, how?

I have an issue of when accelerating that it feels like it wants to backfire. I will be pulling and checking the plugs in a couple of days. I am also thinking the fuel pump may be faulty as well. I read the fuel pressure not to long ago and it was at 32...seems a little low? Is there a way to test that?

Any thoughts.

99 NA Cobra 79000 miles

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Can coil packs be tested? If so, how?

I have an issue of when accelerating that it feels like it wants to backfire. I will be pulling and checking the plugs in a couple of days. I am also thinking the fuel pump may be faulty as well. I read the fuel pressure not to long ago and it was at 32...seems a little low? Is there a way to test that?

Any thoughts.

99 NA Cobra 79000 miles

I am pretty sure you can get them checked out at AutoZone. I was suspect that I had a pack bad on my Blazer and they were able to check it thru using an Olm Meter and looking for a certain resistance values.

Regarding the wanting to backfire it sounds like it could be a plug issue. When I had my 97 Cobra I had a similar issue but what ended up happening was I had a set of plug wires that didnt completly seat around the plug and I went thru and washed the engine down water got down in there... started her up and that was that I ended up fouling out a couple of the plugs I replaced them out and I was back in bidness. They were crappy ass Bosch Platinums anyway :rolleyes:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Find an inductive timing light and wrap the pickup around the leads to each coil, one at a time. I have found that the COP that is misfiring will not illuminate the timing light when the miss occurs.

I have used this successfully on several cars/truck, but YMMV.

Dan

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
so what was it?

Still got me on this one....It is an intermittent thing, only happening at the lower RPM's.. :dunno:

Plugs looked fine when I pulled them. However, I will be replacing them soon with Autolites. Right now Bosch Platinums are in.

Any suggestions on what to do would be great. I have cleaned the MAF and IAC, and the fuel filter was changed at the end of last year. only 2500 miles ago.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I remember you saying you had simular issue last summer and I mentioned your plugs then after your power washing the engine and how to seal the coil pack covers.

What gap did you set them at this time?

If and when you get the next chance, skip gapping plugs with the Key ring gappers and use a feeler gauge instead. Much more accurate then the .75 cent gapper in the jugs at the registars at the local part stores. They suck imo!

Sears sells some nice gapping tools:biggthump

Glad you got it fixed though. If the problem comes back, you may have a bad coil pack though. New plugs may disguise it temporilary or intermittently.

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
I remember you saying you had simular issue last summer and I mentioned your plugs then after your power washing the engine and how to seal the coil pack covers.

What gap did you set them at this time?

If and when you get the next chance, skip gapping plugs with the Key ring gappers and use a feeler gauge instead. Much more accurate then the .75 cent gapper in the jugs at the registars at the local part stores. They suck imo!

Sears sells some nice gapping tools:biggthump

Glad you got it fixed though. If the problem comes back, you may have a bad coil pack though. New plugs may disguise it temporilary or intermittently.

I used feeler guages!:headbang: Yes, and thanks for the advice on the covers. No issues with water since then. :biggthump

I hope the problem doesn't come back. If it does, I will start to look a little closer at the coil packs.

Passed emissions as well. :headbang:

All around a good day today! ***so far

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Thanks. Even though I changed it last year, it could be bad again...

Here's to hoping that all it was were the spark plugs. :toast:

Glad you used the Feeler gauges:biggthump.

Highly doubt your newer fuel filter gave it up already w/ only 2500 new miles on it. It would take a lot of debris in the tank (Doubt it) to cause that sort of issue your having. If a filter is clogged, it stays clogged thus you wouldnt have this intermentent issues with lag imo. A fuel prsssure test at the rails would rule that out.

BTW...did you get the cleaning advice for the MAF and IAC off my STICKY on CHP? I have alot of good usefull info in Tech on that stuff:D

Did you have your hood shipped or did you find a place local for PU? I'm looking to replace my 2000 R hood in favor of a 95R hood:headbang:

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
Glad you used the Feeler gauges:biggthump.

Highly doubt your newer fuel filter gave it up already w/ only 2500 new miles on it. It would take a lot of debris in the tank (Doubt it) to cause that sort of issue your having. If a filter is clogged, it stays clogged thus you wouldnt have this intermentent issues with lag imo. A fuel prsssure test at the rails would rule that out.

BTW...did you get the cleaning advice for the MAF and IAC off my STICKY on CHP? I have alot of good usefull info in Tech on that stuff:D

Did you have your hood shipped or did you find a place local for PU? I'm looking to replace my 2000 R hood in favor of a 95R hood:headbang:

You betcha I got the advice off of CHP...:biggthump I may not post much there but I check out alot of tech sections while chasing issues/problems. Good stuff right there as a sticky!

Hood was shipped. No local place. And I absolutley love it. Makes it look sexy! New pics should be up this weekend!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info