Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:run: :run: :run:

The first TDU had shit physics but my god did I love that game. I'm excited as fuck for this.

The Test Drive racing video game franchise got its start back in 1987. Over the years, the game has jumped systems, developers, and publishers, with the most recent release arriving eight years ago. However, that's about to change with Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown. A short, 25-second teaser video announces the franchise's new installment, showing off high-fidelity graphics and shiny supercars.

However, details about the new game are scarce. A release date is TBA, and the timing of the game's announcement is odd. This year, Sony and Microsoft will launch their next-generation video game systems, which will offer better graphics and more processing power. The new Test Drive Unlimited game could arrive for both current- and next-generation consoles, which some publishers are doing. Or the game could serve as a swan song for racing games on the current generation of consoles as the two biggest racing franchises – Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport – gear up for a next-gen release.

Like previous Test Drive Unlimited video games, TDU Solar Crown will feature an "open-world driving and lifestyle experience," according to the game's official page on Steam. "Remember, social status is everything in the world of TDU," the short descriptor teases. The game will recreate an open-world island at a "1:1 scale," according to details from PC Gamer, and gamers will be able to play the game solo or online with others. Solar Crown is the in-universe name of the racing competition that appeared in earlier TDU games.

According to PC Gamer, French studio KT Racing is developing the game, which is responsible for the WRC and TT Isle of Man video games. Alain Jarniou will lead the game's development. Previously, he's worked on Test Drive Unlimited, WRC 5, FlatOut4, and more. There's still a lot we have to learn about the game and how it plays, but having a new racing video game to choose from is always nice.

• Love
Reactions: Outlaw and IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
200_d.gif

God I loved the first one. 2nd one......ehh. But first one was so good. To this day one of my favorite things ive done in a driving/racing game was doing an entire lap around the island on a bike in that game. Think it took me like 45 minutes to an hour to go around the whole island flat out whenever I could. Games like horizon or the crew wouldnt be around today if it werent for this game. I always wanted to buy the Shelby Daytona in that game but it was always so damn expensive and I dont think I ever made enough money to buy it :LOL:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I don't remember there being a TDU2, but I think I have more play time on the OG TDU than any other game. Half the time I wasn't really even playing the game. There were two or three races with big payouts that I liked to do over and over again in different cars. Also, marking up the entire map is a hell of an achievement. You really have to try though, because it's easy to miss those little highway turnarounds. I agree that the overall physics sucked. I think the possibility of actually wrecking your car would have made the game legendary.

Reactions: Outlaw and IDAFC21

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Drops in September :run:

The company made the announcement during a Nacon Connect livestream. Developer KT Racing says the automotive MMO will take place in Hong Kong, following the Oahu and Ibiza settings of previous games, and it's recreating the region in a 1:1 scale. Along with urban areas, you can expect to explore forests, mountains, marshes and beaches.

The game will feature a racing tournament as well as a conflict between two clans, the Streets and the Sharps. You'll join one of them, try to rise through the ranks and attempt to overthrow your rival clan. More details about the first Test Drive Unlimited game in over a decade will emerge in the coming months.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
30?? WTF.

Also "LeSs CaRs wIlL fEeL mOrE UnIQuE"

Fuck that! Give me all the cars!! Thats why I'm playing a VIDEO GAME. I grab every single car in forza horizon I can, even if i only realistically drive maybe 15% of them. Why? Because they're there and I can! If I wanna be disappointed by how little cars I have I'll just look in my driveway.

Thread Info