đź“° Auto News Tesla with another Price Increase (Model Y and 3)

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Electrek Nov 12,2021

Tesla has again increased the price of the Model Y in the US (the eighth time this year), and it is coming as new incentives are expected.

Tesla prices have increased widely across the entire lineup in 2021.

Last month alone, there were two significant price increases on Model 3 and Model Y.

In November, Tesla started the month with another significant price increase across the lineup.

Now just a week later, the automaker is again increasing prices, but this time it’s only for the Model Y.

Tesla Model Y prices
With the very frequent price increases this year, Tesla would generally apply them to both Model 3 and Model Y, which share lots of parts and the automaker blamed price increases on supply chain costs.

However, in this price increase revealed through another overnight configurator update, Tesla only appears to be increasing the price of the Model Y.

Both trims have received a $1,000 price increase.

Here are all the updated prices for all versions of the Model Y:

• Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor: price went from $57,990 to $58,990
  • Tesla Model Y Performance: price went from $62,990 to $63,990
Here’s what Tesla’s Model Y configurator looks like after the overnight update:

While $1,000 might not be much relative to the total price, it is more about the accumulation of the smaller price increases throughout the year.

Early in 2021, Tesla was selling the Model Y Long Range for just $50,000. It is now $9,000 more expensive.

New EV incentive in the US
The recent price increases have come as Tesla buyers are expected to soon regain access to the federal EV incentive.

The pending Build Back Better Act should give Tesla buyers $7,500 in tax credit.

However, some details are vague, and it’s not clear if it will be retroactive for vehicles delivered during a period of time in 2021 or if it will be for new electric cars bought in 2022.

The new Model Y prices announced today are for new orders, which are not expected to be delivered until next year.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I got a ride in my CTOs in the Beta, it’s definitely still “Beta”, but made some pretty impressive decisions I admit. Not enough for me to drop $10,000 on though
The last version 10.4 was awful. I just got 10.5 on Monday and it’s a huge improvement. It still struggles with unprotected left turns, but other than that it is pretty impressive.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I never went for that. My Y came with normal autopilot and honestly that’s all I need. Esp since I work remote now, the only place I consistently drive is to the gym or the store.

Short trips don’t bother me. Autopilot really shines though on road trips
I use the shit out of summon at Work or if a store parking lot isn’t busy. Also auto lane change and navigate on autopilot make a huge difference on interstates

Reactions: Dasfinc

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The last version 10.4 was awful. I just got 10.5 on Monday and it’s a huge improvement. It still struggles with unprotected left turns, but other than that it is pretty impressive.

yea, we had a double left turn and an oncoming semi turning opposite us, it was “displeased”.

My work commute is 75% 88/355, and I have free charging available at work (in bolingbrook), so I’m properly excited.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You end up doing a Y or a 3?
we originally ordered a Y but the wife freaked out at the last minute at the price and found out the car seat fit fine in the 3.

Between being 6’2” with longer legs, having dogs, and being able to order a hitch the Y felt like the right choice.

I drove every flavor before pulling the trigger (3 dual, 3 perf, Y dual, Y perf), and the Y dual hilariously “felt slow” compared to either performance.

The last kicker was in regards to “how they are built”, enough break downs (engineering taking apart wise) indicates that the Y is revolutionarily better than the 3 from a build/engineering perspective and it was abundantly clear Tesla made dramatic improvements in that tight timespan. I’m sure some of them have since been made to the 3 as well, but the Y seemed better regarded despite the early hiccups.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Between being 6’2” with longer legs, having dogs, and being able to order a hitch the Y felt like the right choice.

I drove every flavor before pulling the trigger (3 dual, 3 perf, Y dual, Y perf), and the Y dual hilariously “felt slow” compared to either performance.

The last kicker was in regards to “how they are built”, enough break downs (engineering taking apart wise) indicates that the Y is revolutionarily better than the 3 from a build/engineering perspective and it was abundantly clear Tesla made dramatic improvements in that tight timespan. I’m sure some of them have since been made to the 3 as well, but the Y seemed better regarded despite the early hiccups.
Yea the 3 now has stuff like the octovalve and the Y interior. Only thing it lacks is the bio weapon defense mode

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yea the 3 now has stuff like the octovalve and the Y interior. Only thing it lacks is the bio weapon defense mode

All seriousness, the Build Back Better legislation is the biggest reason next to the Dogs, hitch, and then delivery time for the Y Performance.

Current wording exempts sedans and “Other” over $55k and I don’t see reason for that to change (while the Y counts as an SUV and is under the $80,000 cap). I can afford comfortably either even if everything falls apart, but Im willing to take the gamble to not miss out on an $8,000+ incentive.

We were contemplating consolidating the current camper and my Expedition while prices were still hyper inflated. The Y Hitch is plenty for my tiny utility trailer and cargo basket for moving “shit” around and the hatch makes the back dog friendly for road trips while the 3 simply wouldn’t be feasible with the dogs.

It’s worth noting, I had an order for a Mach E GT until I drove both back to back and found out that the EPA qualifies the Mach as a “Wagon”, and therefore may be exempted from the current wording of the legislation (being over $55,000 in GT trim).

I’ll make a thread eventually on the whole thing, but am going to wait until it’s in my driveway. Granted snow tires/wheels, interior mats and accessories are all arriving next month so I’m pretty well committed.

Timing is all going to be TIIIIGHT…

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
#soon
A8C5F37A-EB4D-4062-8B1C-4C37CFE4905E.jpeg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
That reminds me, I think I’m done charging at 3.6kw. I’m buying the Tesla wall connector. I’m probably gonna hook it up to 40a so it’ll charge at ~30 miles per hour.
I did the NEMA 14-50 because it’s not $500+, allows for charging other makes/models, tether my camper (it goes outside too), and still will charge at like 30 miles an hour anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info