Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

With the Taycan 4S configurator up and running, we jumped in for our traditional most expensive survey and we won’t pull any punches. With no less than $90,720 in options, you could buy base Taycan, a Tesla Model S Long Range, and still have enough to buy a secondhand first-generation Boxster. All total, we elevated the 4S to $195,870, and with the sheer number of options and combinations that Porsche offers, it’s quite possible we missed a few pricier selections.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If the Taycan really passed the moose test at 97kph thats damned impressive.

In fact, after some searching that seems to be the fastest recorded one I've seen. None have passed 90kph. Which makes me question the test they used.

In the moose test, just a few KPH completely transforms a car from passing with flying colors to whacking cones all over the place.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SaturdaysGS

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Still not surprised. Porsche has built cars longer but Tesla has done the EV performance market longer which is a whole different animal.

Still though I expect this back and forth to continue for a while longer as each side is for sure sand bagging.

Horsepower is one consideration when it comes to making a car fast on the track. Aerodynamics, brakes, tires, and suspension are even more critical. Porsche (and pretty much any manufacturer that endurance races) has the expertise to do what Tesla did here. They essentially put a ringer (stripped weight, aero, R compounds) on the track and passed it off as a test vehicle.

I'd like to see someone take a production S vs product Taycan there and see who wins. My money would be on Porsche.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
No video because it isn’t an official test.

Sure going around the ring fast is impressive but the most impressive aspect of the Tesla isn’t the speed or handling. Most manufacturers will soon find out just how far tesla is ahead with motor controls and battery software. I mean the model S with “old 18650” batteries and old chemistry is achieving 373miles a charge not because of an absurd amount of batteries, but because Tesla’s electronics can control them so precisely. Not to mention when they figure out how to do it better they just send the update to all the cars. I mean the taycan is a decent enough car and if the Tesla didn’t exist we’d all think it was badass.... but Tesla does exist and gets over 100 more miles in a single charge with only slightly bigger battery. The other manufacturers are in for a rude awakening when their customers demand these Tesla features and they are unable to deliver

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Ouch....

The Environmental Protection Agency has listed the Porsche Taycan Turbo with an EPA-estimated range of 201 miles per charge. The all-electric sports car’s range rating places the vehicle below electric cars from veterans such as Tesla, as well as rivals from fellow European automakers Jaguar and Audi.

201 miles is a joke.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I mean it’s 172 miles less range than the base model S that costs $72,xxx. That is ridiculous for a vehicle that is supposed to be a “Tesla killer” and costs at least $100,000 more. I mean I get that it’s ”nicer” inside, but $100K nicer? I’ve seen video of some of the screens and infotainment system and that shit lags like a 2009 android phone. Not very luxurious

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
It’s just sad to see these high end manufacturers that are supposed to be the pinnacle of automotive technology fail so hard when it comes to things like range.
its not that surprising though considering what their initial investments were in. Tesla got the jump on them and they are playing catch up.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I love how when people questioned trips in a Tesla and the additional time it takes to stop at charging stations and whatnot. The Tesla diehard are all like "It doesn't matter, stopping is great, charging is so quick, no one takes road trips, the car is used 99.9% of the time locally in day to day use...' and so on.

Now another car with less mileage and it's the end of the world. That the car is DOA. You fucking Tesla guys kill me. :rofl:

I'm not against Tesla at all. I'm not against electric cars at all. I do think the range on the Porsche is not ideal for trips. But for the average person day to day, it won't matter if it only gets 200 miles per day. Same as with the Tesla or any other car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info