Tesla vs. Porsche

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
that's awesome

so "full range" in around a half hour or less then?
Well on a trip you would never go from 0-100%. More like 15-80% and that takes around 15-20 minutes. It’s slower than fueling with a gas pump, but not unreasonable.

Plus you can watch Netflix or hbo or Hulu or YouTube on the screen while waiting. Or play one of the Built in video games

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Well on a trip you would never go from 0-100%. More like 15-80% and that takes around 15-20 minutes. It’s slower than fueling with a gas pump, but not unreasonable.

I gotchya

and again, all this is considering there are superchargers/chargers near enough to your destination/route/etc which i know we have more than beaten to death on here and more are being added quickly.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I gotchya

and again, all this is considering there are superchargers/chargers near enough to your destination/route/etc which i know we have more than beaten to death on here and more are being added quickly.
I mean if you are traveling by interstate you’re gonna easily have coverage. If you’re going to a remote cabin in Missouri, it’s not going to be that convenient but it’ll get there some day

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I mean if you are traveling by interstate you’re gonna easily have coverage. If you’re going to a remote cabin in Missouri, it’s not going to be that convenient but it’ll get there some day

exactly.

quite often i like non-interstate routes if they are similar amounts of time or barely more....

for example... my family has a cabin near neshkoro, wi, all the routes are similar times and I like the center one the most to avoid the mayhem that is madison or milwaukee on a friday afternoon.

1590511583277.png

but again, the distances for the cars your're talking about, being able to make it, would make this a non issue, provided I don't drive around too much up there and don't need to trailer anything up there either.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
My girlfriend and I just took a trip up the coast along Pacific Coast Highway last weekend on a whim. I haven't been on a long road trip in the Model 3 basically ever. My last long trip was in my 2015 Model S P85D. I took that up to the bay area a few times and would generally need to stop three times. Once in Tejon Ranch, once in Harris Ranch and once in Gilroy or right along the bay area. My P85D had a full range charge of 242 miles in a larger, less efficient car that was only able to charge at slower speeds. About 120kw max and that would quickly ramp down as the charge rate went up.

Each stop was generally 20 - 30 minutes with one needing to be a full 50 minute charge. We had kids. It wasn't a terrible endeavor. Pee breaks and grabbing snacks generally take 10 - 15 minutes and then you're only sitting a few minutes more on top of that. On the 50 minute charge we'd eat a meal. It's wasn't spectacular but it wasn't terrible. But I remember opining at the time (here specifically) that eventually the cars would charge so fast that it wouldn't even be a consideration.

So fast forward a couple years and we're taking my Model 3 up the coast on a whim. The Model 3 has a couple advantages out of the gate. For one, it's smaller and more efficient. Beyond that, it has 325 miles of range and the ability to charge at a full 250kw charge rate on new V3 superchargers. These are the ones that give you 1000 miles of range per hour. Here's how it went. We left my house in the Hollywood Hills and took the 101 to Santa Barbara where we took a turn north to San Luis Obisbo. We detoured 50 miles for an errand. We left my house with 317 miles of range and arrived in San Luis Obispo, 230 or so miles away, with about a seventy miles of range. The supercharger was at the Madonna Inn which is an old landmark along the coast. We took a bathroom break and walked around for a bit. We did not consider charging time at all. In other words, we weren't taking our sweet time while waiting for the car to charge. In fact, I kept checking my phone and the car was charging so fast that we walked around there much longer than we would have needed to. All told, we were probably there for 20 - 30 minutes and left with 287 miles of range.

From there we headed up the coast. The trip up the PCH is barren. For about a 100 mile stretch of very curvy, very slow driving road there is only you, the mountains and the ocean. No gas stations, no food, nothing. You're on your own. It was about a 3 or 4 hour drive up through Big Sur, Bixby Bridge and all the cool PCH landmarks. During that trip we skipped two superchargers because we didn't need them. This would have been a foreign feeling in my old P85D. We pulled into Monterey, both starving, and decided to grab some dinner. I used dinner time to charge the car and we ate at a California Pizza Kitchen next to the charger. Once again, the limitation in us leaving wasn't the car's charging speed; it was dinner. Between ordering the food and picking it up the car had fully charged. Like, from 150 miles or so to full in a matter of 25 - 30 minutes. Once again, there was no consideration to take our time while the car charged. The consideration was in hurrying our asses up so we weren't sitting there for nothing while the car was fully charged. We pulled the car up to CPK, grabbed our food and watched an episode of Better Call Saul on the built in screen while we ate. In the old days, that time spent eating would be time spent plugged in and waiting. Now? The car was already charged. No sense in driving it back to the charger.

We continued our trip and ended up in Santa Cruz. We didn't bother looking for a hotel with a charger because it wasn't needed. The next morning we made it another 100 miles north and stopped so my girlfriend could do a zoom meeting for work. I used that time to charge. We drove around everywhere, probably putting 300 - 400 miles on the car in the bay area over two days. Every time we charged it wasn't needed because the car's range is so high. But if we had to grab something at Target we'd stop at the Target with a supercharger and plug it in while we went in, generally coming out to a full charge even with the slow superchargers.

You might say to yourself, this is all well and good in a heavily populated area like California with a heavy Tesla presence and in the Bay area you'd be right. Chargers are pretty ubiquitous. But where the chargers are much more important was on the actual road trip where range really was the winner and allowed us to ignore the fact that the route we were taking had few superchargers. Things will only get better from here too.

On our return trip we left with a full charge and drove over 200 miles to the Kettleman City supercharger. This is basically a Tesla rest stop with 40 covered stalls, a lounge with bathrooms, lounge chairs, a barista, etc. More important, it has 250kw V3 superchargers. This was our only supercharger stop on the way back. By combination of longer range, more efficient car and faster chargers, my return trip from San Fran to Hollywood had just one 40 minute charge stop versus the three stops totally an hour and a half - two hours with my last car.

This is the first trip where I could honestly say that having an electric car was no less convenient than having a gas car and in fact, in many ways it was more convenient because whereas in the Tesla I could pop into Target and just plug the car in while I was doing something I would have been doing otherwise, in a gas car I would have had to have made an additional stop at a gas station before or after. It was objectively less hassle to take the Model 3 than it would have been to take my Q5. And all my gas was free. There's something liberating about knowing you can travel literally anywhere in the country for the life of your car, absolutely free of charge.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Most are cool when it comes to destination chargers and honestly a lot of employees don’t even know what they are. I always ask and sometimes I get weird looks like “what are you asking to do?”

Hotels can sometimes be patron only but that’s a given

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Most are cool when it comes to destination chargers and honestly a lot of employees don’t even know what they are. I always ask and sometimes I get weird looks like “what are you asking to do?”

Hotels can sometimes be patron only but that’s a given
It’s kind of bullshit too because tesla is the one paying to have the destination chargers installed. The cost of the electricity that the business owner pays is negligible

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
^this. It’s meant to draw you to that business and grab a drink or some food.... or stay the night if it’s a hotel.

But like I said most are pretty cool about it. There are chargers in downtown Naperville in the parking garage. Supposed to be for hotel guests only, but they have never had an issue with me charging for a few hours while I was there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info