Tesla vs. Porsche

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I think the Taycan thread got deleted in the thread, so I am starting a new one. Over the past couple of weeks, there's been some interesting competition at the Ring for the EV crown. Porsche announced a record time of 7:42 and Musk with his ego came out and said that he'd have a Telsa out trying to beat Porsche "next week". The thing that Musk didn't realize is that it's hard to get a manufacturer rental session for a clean run to attempt a record. Fast forward to last week, a "plaid" version of the S was spotted at the Ring testing though it looks to me like they brought a ringer (no pun intented). The modified S has new aero mods and is running super sticky near race compound Eagle F1 SuperSport RS, bascially a non-production version of the S. These tires are now standard on the GT2RS from what I've read and even sticker than the Michelin Cup 2R's that were used to set the Ring record.

Anyways, if EV's are the future, it's cool that manufacturers are pushing the envelope.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
such a good looking car

it's mindfucking anyone buys a 3 or an X when the S is that good looking.

1568734529199.png

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I was going to post this update before just didn’t know where the thread went haha.

But yea apparently this S is running the potential new powertrain that will be available in the future. Different aero etc. I believe this same setup also set a lap record at laguna seca for 4 door cars.

I think Porsche is in trouble on this one.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I was going to post this update before just didn’t know where the thread went haha.

But yea apparently this S is running the potential new powertrain that will be available in the future. Different aero etc. I believe this same setup also set a lap record at laguna seca for 4 door cars.

I think Porsche is in trouble on this one.

It's kind of apples to oranges though if Porsche truely ran a production Taycan. Porsche is pretty conservative with performance metrics from what I've seen. Tesla on the other hand brought a modified car to the Ring. Those tires alone are probably worth a good chunk of time compared to traditional performance tires.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I guess lap time aside Porsche still has a very long way to go to even match Tesla.

Will the Porsche do over the air updates? Will they be free? Will they listen to consumers and make those changes? Will the car improve itself over time? How much will fast charging cost?

Example: the next update for my car will be adding theater mode and “Joe mode”

Theater mode will enable the car to watch YouTube and Netflix while stopped or supercharging, Joe mode will reduce the noise coming from alerts in the car. So you won’t wake any sleeping children in the back. (This was someone asked for my people on twitter and Tesla did it)

I’m skeptical and like I said Porsche has a long way to go.

Reactions: frank

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The ring mods aren't OTA though. It's essentially a new powertrain, near racing slicks, aero, and Brembo carbon ceramic brakes. Maybe Tesla will offer a Track pack, but no amount of firmware changes is going to allow an existing Tesla to match the bolted on mods that are on the car running the Ring. I'm sure Porsche will shoot back.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The ring mods aren't OTA though. It's essentially a new powertrain, near racing slicks, aero, and Brembo carbon ceramic brakes. Maybe Tesla will offer a Track pack, but no amount of firmware changes is going to allow an existing Tesla to match the bolted on mods that are on the car running the Ring. I'm sure Porsche will shoot back.

Apparently this new powertrain will be offered in the near future from rumors I’ve heard. Basically the new performance model. Maybe not those tires, but the drivetrain is supposed to be something you can purchase.

Time will tell. I wouldn’t doubt it though. It will probably be the same powertrain in the new roadster

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

set down the kool aid for a second bro.

Didn’t read that before. It’s good to know they are following suit with this. It’s such a nice thing to have. I hope other cars head this way as well. Even gas cars

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Didn’t read that before. It’s good to know they are following suit with this. It’s such a nice thing to have. I hope other cars head this way as well. Even gas cars

ready for a fun one?

my truck has lane sensing bullshit, and the forward collision alert, and a "safe distance"following whatthefuckever.

in my wife's crv, the notification system on the dash looks IDENTICAL. welp. i assumed it was adaptive cruise control.

NOPE. i almost love tapped a semi as i hoped for my truck to slow itself down when i first got it.

no 2019 sierra's or silverado's have adaptive cruise, but apparently have all the hardware for it, just aren't programmed for it... 2020 will. imma stab someone in the eye if i can't easily add it when it comes out.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That’s freaking terrifying and I’m surprised that symbol hasn’t been standardized.

I’ve only had the car panic stop me once. It’s a little shocking how fast it applies everything and how quickly I came to a stop.

Also had autopilot go into panic mode when a semi moved over on me. Car did great but shit that’s weird when you are not the one controlling it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have read that many car manufacturers are going to offer OTA options. So I think OTA stuff will become more common. What has to be seen is what will be free versus what is paid for.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
photographer Stefan Bauldauf was able to time the Model S lapping the ‘Ring at 7 minutes and 23 seconds. While not an official time, it's still 19 seconds faster than the Taycan managed to lap the same track.

Many might write off Tesla's efforts due to the Model S being a pre-production unit, but it's important to note that the Taycan which set the 7:42 lap record was as well. But, as Jalopnik has pointed out, there are still many unknowns about the car and equipment that Tesla used to set such a low run time.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I do like the Porsche a lot, but the stock wheels aren't my favorite.

Also, I'd expect the Porsche to be a superior overall product (materials quality, fit, and finish) just by the mere fact they've been around for 75+ years building high quality cars, and likely have more stable parts and materials suppliers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info