⚡ EV Tesla Model S Plaid Has 1100 HP and Does 0-60 MPH in Under 2 Seconds

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
That is insane. I cant wait to see what the new battery design does for the other models. I read the new Model Y casting in Texas are for the new 4680 cells.

RIMAC Nevera is estimating 8.6.

Hyper car vs daily driver. I'm surprised how close Tesla is.
Exactly. The Rimac is a “production car” even though they are building what? 150 of them by hand. Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool and it’s fast but I don’t think they should hold the record for a production car.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO

43055B20-2BC4-42ED-B394-7319274B77F5.png

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Jesus that is incredible.

And I got to play with this thing at work. My boss made me take him for a ride because he had no idea how to operate the controls or anything- I launched it on rt31 and he said he could feel the “skin on his face roll back onto his neck” lol. I can’t imaging knocking off 1 more second from the 1/4 mile time and another .3-.4 from the 0-60…..

E0E879CE-56A4-4C9F-A6E7-14E89851CCB6.jpeg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Just think, Tesla could make it faster with a software update if they wanted to. This thing isn’t maxed. I wonder if they will offer an upgrade for speed once the carbon ceramic brakes launch
didn't realize they were working on these. what percentage of people even track their model s? i'm under the impression right now that is a short race between what fails first: battery overheating, battery duration, or brakes overheating. i am quite curious how long a tesla can lap a track in present form, and even once brake heat is addressed with these, how well they last and how long one can still lap and it would take to charge again. if a track day is 30-30-30 sessions or 20-20-20 sessions, can someone actually drive every session during the day?

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
didn't realize they were working on these. what percentage of people even track their model s? i'm under the impression right now that is a short race between what fails first: battery overheating, battery duration, or brakes overheating. i am quite curious how long a tesla can lap a track in present form, and even once brake heat is addressed with these, how well they last and how long one can still lap and it would take to charge again. if a track day is 30-30-30 sessions or 20-20-20 sessions, can someone actually drive every session during the day?
It seems they solved the battery overheating issues. Brakes getting cooked is the big thing. They are perfectly fine on the vehicle for driving and even making a few pulls. In fact, I think the stopping distance is within 3 feet of the Porsche taycan from 60-0. The whole “the brakes are dangerous” thing is overblown just like every other Tesla “problem” out there. The problem is after a few laps they are done. That’s not a typical scenario for driving on the street and if you bought a plaid S for road courses, then that’s a weird move- but they now offer the carbon ceramics so if you choose to track the car it’s probably a good move

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
It seems they solved the battery overheating issues. Brakes getting cooked is the big thing. They are perfectly fine on the vehicle for driving and even making a few pulls. In fact, I think the stopping distance is within 3 feet of the Porsche taycan from 60-0. The whole “the brakes are dangerous” thing is overblown just like every other Tesla “problem” out there. The problem is after a few laps they are done. That’s not a typical scenario for driving on the street and if you bought a plaid S for road courses, then that’s a weird move- but they now offer the carbon ceramics so if you choose to track the car it’s probably a good move
you definitely are not going to overheat the brakes driving on the street in any car, i would argue that would be extremely hard to do even if you were driving like a total fucking asshole. buying a plaid s would definitely not be my road course choice, but who else would these brakes actually be for? well, besides bragging rights? even the first sentence on their shop page seems to indicate this: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s-plaid-carbon-ceramic-brake-kit

Designed for the ultimate track experience, the Model S Plaid Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit is a complete hardware package that delivers maximum, repeatable stopping power during high-performance driving.

i'm actually curious how many people who buy factory cars with these keep them or like the option. in the end they are so expensive, plus sensitive to deal with, that i was under the impression that it was not that uncommon for people like porsche owners actually tracking to go back to steel rotors. for a tracked tesla they simply seem to be a necessity, due to both the amount of power/speeds it can get to and then the weight and momentum that pig has that needs to be slowed down. i'm sure a model s is well over 1000 lb more than a porsche carrying ceramics.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
you definitely are not going to overheat the brakes driving on the street in any car, i would argue that would be extremely hard to do even if you were driving like a total fucking asshole. buying a plaid s would definitely not be my road course choice, but who else would these brakes actually be for? well, besides bragging rights? even the first sentence on their shop page seems to indicate this: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s-plaid-carbon-ceramic-brake-kit

Designed for the ultimate track experience, the Model S Plaid Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit is a complete hardware package that delivers maximum, repeatable stopping power during high-performance driving.

i'm actually curious how many people who buy factory cars with these keep them or like the option. in the end they are so expensive, plus sensitive to deal with, that i was under the impression that it was not that uncommon for people like porsche owners actually tracking to go back to steel rotors. for a tracked tesla they simply seem to be a necessity, due to both the amount of power/speeds it can get to and then the weight and momentum that pig has that needs to be slowed down. i'm sure a model s is well over 1000 lb more than a porsche carrying ceramics.
I’m just comparing a taycan turbo s. They are similar in weight and performance. And what I’m saying is every car publication is making a mountain out of a molehill concerning the plaids brakes. That in turn means every troglodyte on social media claims the plaids brakes just fail instantly and the car is dangerous to drive and the FUD over Tesla and EVs in general continues. At least now, if you choose to track your 4 door family car for some reason there is a factory option for brakes that will be up to the task.

To me complaining about the plaid brakes only lasting a few laps on a road course is like complaining a dodge demon doesn’t handle as good as lotus. You’re trying to make the car do something it wasn’t intended for.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I’ll take a Rimac Nivera over the plaid if money wasn’t an issue.

Check out the plaid wrecking just about everyone then watch the rimac vs plus on YT.

If I can sell it, yea. But have you seen the Doug Demiro video on the Rimac? Nothing actually worked and the interface was super slow. Everything was just “they say it’ll be working when it comes out”. That’s not confidence inspiring for somebody that’s about to drop 3 million on a vehicle. Honestly if you want to go stupid fast in an EV but don’t want a Tesla the Porsche Taycan is already proven to be a great vehicle.

Not to mention the roadster is the more direct comparison to the rimac, and it’s supposedly faster

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
If I can sell it, yea. But have you seen the Doug Demiro video on the Rimac? Nothing actually worked and the interface was super slow. Everything was just “they say it’ll be working when it comes out”. That’s not confidence inspiring for somebody that’s about to drop 3 million on a vehicle. Honestly if you want to go stupid fast in an EV but don’t want a Tesla the Porsche Taycan is already proven to be a great vehicle.

Not to mention the roadster is the more direct comparison to the rimac, and it’s supposedly faster

I did see that. I was under the impression that was a prototype nivera (concept two) that was later changed to the nivera.

I’ve heard the roadster is fast, but it’s been “rumored” for years and we still don’t have anything concrete.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info