⚡ EV Tesla Model S Plaid Has 1100 HP and Does 0-60 MPH in Under 2 Seconds

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I have this debate in my head about which performance car will be next for me....Tesla or a Hellcat Charger. The only con for me is not hearing that sweet revving motor. And I generally prefer the body styles of traditional sports cars. The AWD performance Tesla's make a pretty good case.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Ugh, not a fan of those diffusers though, they're obnoxious.

i figured that was only for tracks, is that normal? pretty aggressive for something straight from the factory indeed.

looks so nice. Who else wouldn’t mind seeing a Model S race car? Stripped interior, roll cage and the whole 9?

A completely electric car race would be boring to hear, but very interesting to watch.

there is formula e, which iirc, the pit stops include the driver swapping cars. i wonder how long the battery lasts full tilt, i'm not under the impression one could spend a whole day driving an hpde track day on most (all?) teslas without having to miss sessions to recharge. kinda very well suited for time attack though.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I’m wondering what my next car will be. It’ll most likely be a tesla but I don’t want to have two model 3s at the house. I’m not sure I want a model Y. Cybertruck would be cool but not if it doesn’t fit in my garage. I’m pretty sure GM won’t have anything cool that’s electric by then that costs less than a tesla so it’ll be a tough decision

AngelWhite_ST

Regular
Jul 20, 2015
Real Name
TJ
i figured that was only for tracks, is that normal? pretty aggressive for something straight from the factory indeed.

there is formula e, which iirc, the pit stops include the driver swapping cars. i wonder how long the battery lasts full tilt, i'm not under the impression one could spend a whole day driving an hpde track day on most (all?) teslas without having to miss sessions to recharge. kinda very well suited for time attack though.

I agree with all. I'll have to check it out. I would give it a few laps before it almost overheats and needs to charge, having another car is a great way to add in additional challenges.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

they used to switch cars but recently they go the whole race in one car. Obviously you’re not going to do a 24hr lemans in an electric any time soon butfor like 10-15 lap time attacks they are amazing

Reactions: AngelWhite_ST

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
\The AWD performance Tesla's make a pretty good case.

AWD has always been helpful in sports cars. Especially now for traction with the new "Horse Power wars" we are seeing. Plus things like torque vectoring helping cars turn better and be more stable. A great car that shows the benefits of AWD is the Nissan GTR. That thing performs better than it should on paper. It's ET is impressive due to the traction. But it's handling is incredible compared to it's weight, tires, and other things say it should handle. Imagine that car as an RWD. It wouldn't be anything close to what the car actually is.

Tesla probably offers easier progress as they can make software changes and see results. They went out with the model 3 and was able to make the car get around a track better with software changes. And being able to offer all customers over the air upgrades to those specs is huge. Verses being limited in hardware as an ICE engine with electronic locking diffs, viscous coupling center diff, and so on.

It is exciting to see an electric car being able to progress like this. It definitely helps make the case for electric cars when it comes to gearheads. lol

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
They already get mega pissed at 95SC 95SC when he brings his R8 out....cant imagine the melts over this thing :rofl:
Oh yea , it was a shit show . They put me in the all out class with the promod looking cars that can't even make on their own from trailer to the staging lanes . They still cry about it after the races anyways :D:D.

20200530_184540.jpg

20200530_185407.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Car needs a redesign.
I’m pretty sure that’s why this thing isn’t coming out till late 2021. The shell we are seeing in the videos is just the old car body on top of the new motors and suspension. The outside doesn’t need much tweaking but the interior is long overdue for a refresh. They just don’t want people to stop buying the current S/X yet

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
AWD has always been helpful in sports cars. Especially now for traction with the new "Horse Power wars" we are seeing. Plus things like torque vectoring helping cars turn better and be more stable. A great car that shows the benefits of AWD is the Nissan GTR. That thing performs better than it should on paper. It's ET is impressive due to the traction. But it's handling is incredible compared to it's weight, tires, and other things say it should handle. Imagine that car as an RWD. It wouldn't be anything close to what the car actually is.

Tesla probably offers easier progress as they can make software changes and see results. They went out with the model 3 and was able to make the car get around a track better with software changes. And being able to offer all customers over the air upgrades to those specs is huge. Verses being limited in hardware as an ICE engine with electronic locking diffs, viscous coupling center diff, and so on.

It is exciting to see an electric car being able to progress like this. It definitely helps make the case for electric cars when it comes to gearheads. lol

yeah but like, what left is there for a gearhead to do? for power you are probably just throwing more battery or something at it, not that you really need it, and for tuning straight or a road track it seems like the unlocks are largely in the software. so rather than wrenching you are just driving, but it's kind of doing more of everything for you.

e.g. it's probably impossible to beat it just letting it drive itself straight, you could probably do a fully hands off 1/4 mile with launch control and having it control the whole ride through, at which point you could even be in the back seat with no one at the front. so you're not even really a driver but just along for an acceleration amusement ride.

it would take much much longer to get to that point on a road track and you're still doing plenty there, but with all the awd and software controls it's certainly providing an ever increasing amount of driver aid. but that's also where a ton of the skill and fun exists too.

Reactions: Eagle

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am not saying that lap times would be the same due to the car no matter who is driving. Obviously the driver inputs can overwhelm any aid the car can offer if the inputs were so bad. We have seen videos in recent years where drivers ran laps with aids on and off. Even the pro driver improves lap times with the aids on. That is impressive that it can make a mediocre driver look pretty good and in control. And help make a great driver even a little bit better. Heck, on these high hp cars even reducing or eliminating wheel spin coming out of the corner could help lap times. So you can see where it can benefit everyone. And ever-improving software available with an over the air update is pretty cool. Be it making more power, power management, battery life improvement, or stability control.

Letting the car drive around the track with me in the back seat sounds horrifying. Even if it could run faster laps than me and be safer. Couldn't do it. Nope. hahaha

I agree, as a gear head, these cars lack something ICE cars offer. One is the exhaust sound. It's just hard to miss that music when driving. I hate driving my car with the windows up because I enjoy the sound. The other thing is limited engagement with modding the car. The suspension is about all you are going to be able to play with. Not that suspension is easy or not worth doing. But most gearheads are into making more power than doing suspension and brakes. But I feel this car is going to be owned mostly by people who don't work on their own cars or even modify them.

On the other side, as I get older, I don't want to maintain my car and be working on it all the time. I'd rather be driving it or out using it. So a car I don't have to do maintenance or mods on the powertrain is appealing as well. I'm not gonna lie, a Model 3 Performance makes a pretty good case for a nice daily driver and track toy. If battery power and charging weren't an issue I would be 100% sold. So maybe a crazy-ass Model S Plaid makes a really strong case for some car owners that want to track a car as well. Especially if the bankroll is there and the specs Tesla is claiming become reality.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm not saying everyone is going to have the same time either; although they're going to be a lot closer if the car glazes over your mistakes. i guess it depends where people derive their kicks, but i want to know i did something better and not that the car did it for me. like it's way more fun and rewarding if i got 3 seconds better a lap because i worked all summer and achieved that, vs. installed a software upgrade and didn't feel like i even did anything differently. although to your point there is an issue of even basic safety when you are in something that can put 1000 hp out.

i don't want to do any maintenance either and just drive my car. 200hp 300hp 400hp i don't really care, i just want to be able to drive it somewhere, beat on it for hours, drive it home and watch tv. then just be able to wake up and do it again the next day, and do little maintenance if any outside of occasionally change oil and brakes. second to that i'd like to beat my own lap times, then beat my peers in similar class cars or the same car.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
looks so nice. Who else wouldn’t mind seeing a Model S race car? Stripped interior, roll cage and the whole 9?

A completely electric car race would be boring to hear, but very interesting to watch.

B8CF4CBC-AFF6-41B1-8EDD-A6B55C7BBD12.jpg
they have electric car only races now.....because they shit all over gas.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelWhite_ST

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Aaaannnndddd they just released the NHRA official 1/4 mile times for the standard plaid.

“I’ll tell you what I did. I went up to Famoso Dragway in Bakersfield,” Leno said on the podcast. “And the Tesla Plaid…I drove by, and the NHRA guy was there to make it official. It turned a 9.247, at 152 MPH.”.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
That is insane. I cant wait to see what the new battery design does for the other models. I read the new Model Y casting in Texas are for the new 4680 cells.

RIMAC Nevera is estimating 8.6.

Hyper car vs daily driver. I'm surprised how close Tesla is.

• Wow
Reactions: Eagle and Yaj Yak

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
That is insane. I cant wait to see what the new battery design does for the other models. I read the new Model Y casting in Texas are for the new 4680 cells.

RIMAC Nevera is estimating 8.6.

Hyper car vs daily driver. I'm surprised how close Tesla is.
They ran it on an airstrip. GPS said 8.6 @ 171mph.

• Wow
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info