Tesla is the King of Autonomy and Nobody Sees It

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
KINGGGGG

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/e...-teslas-autopilot-team-report-says-2019-07-09

Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Elon Musk is “unhappy” with his company’s progress in developing fully autonomous vehicles, and at least 11 members of the software team have left in the past few months, according to a Tuesday report on The Information that cited one current and one former Tesla employee with knowledge of the matter.

Musk is also upset that some employees have said they can’t meet the timelines Musk has set for Tesla’s TSLA, +2.35% developing technology, the report said.

Tesla did not immediately return a request for comment.

Musk, who over the weekend tweeted about a possible price increase for future fully autonomous Teslas, has set a goal of having a million Tesla “robotaxis” on the road by the end of 2020 in some locations, among other plans for fully self-driving cars. He also said that a chip upgrade that would enable full self driving for older Teslas will be available by the end of the year.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I think he’s saying that there will be a million Teslas on the road by end of 2020 with AP2.0 or higher allowing an upgrade if needed to FSD computer as they have all sensor hardware already. The computer upgrade is a 20 minute job that is free for anybody who purchased FSD. I actually believe that will happen. I don’t think the regulators will allow it by then. It’ll be at least 2025 before driverless cars are legal everywhere

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
thank you!

finally someone responded to the main part of what i shared :rofl:

jessus

Tesla should hire this guy to manage all PR

ComicalAli.jpg

His reports were legendary!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I never mentioned it here but I bought a 3 last month. I bought number 431 off of the production line, one of the first hand made models. I absolutely adore it. After owning three Model S's I really think the 3 is the better all around car and my only real gripe is that they didn't make it a hatch like the S.

That said, Tesla can have a solid lead in autonomy AND Elon Musk can still be unsatisfied with the speed at which the program is moving. The two are mutually exclusive. Steve Jobs was famously pissed off at Apple engineers during early iPhone days despite Apple being years ahead of their competition in the product cycle.

As far as Autopilot goes, my only gripe with the current iteration is it wants to feel a hand on the steering wheel before every lane change or merging attempt and the way I rest my hand on the steering wheel while driving doesn't put enough pressure on it to set off the torque sensor so I have to tug the wheel every time it's going to make a lane change. I solved that with a 1lb wrist weight that I wrap around the corner of the wheel while I'm on the expressway. This makes the car effectively fully autonomous from onramp to offramp and I'm of course watching every lane change and always have my eye on the road but the car is doing 100% of the work.

Driving it like that gives a new appreciation for how far along Tesla is. I drove from my house to my girlfriend's 30 minutes and three different expressways away. I enabled autopilot on the onramp and the car merged on to the highway, overtook slower traffic, got in the correct lane to get onto each subsequent expressway and then exited at my stop and handed control back over. But the most impressive parts are in the details. When other cars are merging my car anticipates it and slows down ever so slightly to widen the gap so they can get in. And when it needs to get over a lane but there's a car to the side of it, it determines whether it's going to speed up to overtake that car and then get into the lane or if it's going to slow down and get behind it. And it does all of this somewhat disturbingly well, especially in rush hour traffic.

Elon famously said last year that autonomous cars were too "nice" and could easily be bullied in high traffic situations where cars simply wouldn't let them in. I've got mine set to mad max mode (yes that's a thing) and will force itself into the next lane in traffic the same way I would. It's uncanny.

These are the details that people don't know unless they experience them. I think the hard stuff is really the 1% situations. When a lane line disappears or there's an odd curb. For true level 5 autonomy you can't be good 99% of the time. You need to be good 99.9999% of the time.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You can’t fix stupid. I remember when autopilot first came out there was a company selling a device you could put on your steering wheel to fool it thinking it was your hand. Needless to say I believe Tesla either sued them or threatened enough legal action that they stopped selling it.

I trust my autopilot but not that much. The car can still be fooled on occasion by crappy construction reroutes.

Guilty. The NHTSA threatened them and so they re-released it as a phone holder. I went out and bought a one pound wrist weight and I wrap it around the wheel in traffic.

With navigate on autopilot the car wants to feel a hand on the wheel immediately before it initiates a lane change, merge. This is a problem because the way I hold the steering wheel, my hand often doesn't trigger the torque sensor which results in the car constantly asking me to put my hand on the wheel and me constantly tugging at the wheel to get rid of the warning. The 1lb weight fixes this and I am of course always checking my blind spots before allowing it to merge and generally monitoring the car as if I am driving it.

Doing so has given me a new appreciation for navigate on autopilot though. My car squeezes into other lanes like I would and even bails on a lane change if a car in the next lane is approaching too fast. The system is basically flawless on the expressway. I can get on, engage it on the onramp and it will merge, move me over to the HOV lane, merge me onto other expressways, pass slower cars and then exit at the right time. In that situation, the car is more attentive than I am because the car is literally always paying attention whereas a human often isn't.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea it’s gotten a lot better. Over the weekend had it go into accident avoidance mode when a semi came into my lane. Alarms went off and the car puts on the brakes and moved over into the shoulder. I was impressed, I didn’t even notice the semi moving over until the alarms went off. It was a lot quicker than I would have reacted.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I used this when summon was still in its original form. (Back in and out of the garage or space)

It was cool, but it was just a gimmick to show off to friends. This is a little more advanced.... but it’s still a gimmick. Don’t get be wrong it’s cool and light years ahead of anyone else. But it’s definitely not there yet.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Where Tesla is really winning is cool factor. I know it's totally psychological manipulation but I like the car. I like the weird shit they make it do like the video games and smart summon. I like the easter eggs. They've got cool factor down in a way that nobody else does and I'm even acknowledging that that's not really a measurable metric but it's a large part of the reason people love the cars and aspire to own them.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The King needs to work on its accuracy and detection :rofl:

fooled by a piece of tape. I am surprised it doesnt rely on GPS/maps for speed limit area verification as well. It wasnt even a big change :rofl: it still read 35 to humans.

The researchers stuck a tiny and nearly imperceptible sticker on a speed limit sign. The camera read the sign as 85 instead of 35, and in testing, both the 2016 Tesla Model X and that year’s Model S sped up 50 miles per hour.

adsf.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info