tesla crash at who knows what, off at 160+

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I don’t know much about the plaid brakes, but just watching the video it looks like it has big ass carbon rotors and six pot brakes. Why the fuck would they not put a dot 4 high temp fluid in the car from the factory?
And what race track let’s you go out without a helmet on?
Teslas own kit literally comes with high temp brake fluid, this guy bought somebody else’s kit and didn’t even flush the brakes.

not to mention the thing was like half disassembled and the airbags were disabled

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Well, this guy now has some more experience! :ROFLMAO:

quote-good-decisions-come-from-experience-experience-comes-from-making-bad-decisions-mark-twain-61-4-0491.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I don’t know much about the plaid brakes, but just watching the video it looks like it has big ass carbon rotors and six pot brakes. Why the fuck would they not put a dot 4 high temp fluid in the car from the factory?
And what race track let’s you go out without a helmet on?
He put the big brake kit on it.

Chillin’ with Chet
2 days ago
Unplugged Performance brakes were not the cause of this brake failure. It literally boils down to the stock tesla dot3 brake fluid. I will explain in depth next video. Tesla also likes to say this is a passenger sedan not meant for track use…it has and was in “Track Mode” if this car has no place on a track and is not to be pushed on a track then why have a track mode? A recall needs to be made now before more people get hurt and eventually killed by this under performing brake system and recall the inferior Dot3 fluid to be more specific. Remember, it failed on me before on my first track day but luckily i had plenty of run off unlike this time. 1000hp warrants 1000ph safety. No i did not have a helmet on and i will explain why in the next video as well. One last thing for thought…Take a 5lb helmet without full neck support and I would have broken my spine at approx 20g’s when my neck became the fulcrum point. Not saying I shouldnt have had a helmet on but if I did I know would never have walked away from this one. Again Thank You everyone your love and support has been humbling and I promise to do better and set a better safety standard in the future. GB

Everything in bold is why this guy is a moron. You only worry about a helmet becoming a fulcrum point when you are fully strapped in to a 5 point harness so the only things that can move is your head in a crash, which is why we have HANS devices. And if he really cared about that then you can wear one of these which lets you have neck restraint without a 5 point harness. It straps to your body and then attaches to your helmet.

1656336476524.png

He was in a 3 point stock belt system so your whole body is moving around so your 3.5 lb helmet isn't that big of an issue.

If Tesla put racing fluid in they would see tons of complains from people who won't change that shit for 4 years and it getting super squishy/dangerous. Even just regular dot4 would have burned up at the speeds he was doing. Also most people who are new to the track have way higher braking temperatures as they tend to brake much longer and softer than they need to vs shorter quick hits of the brakes. I have seen new drivers cook very good brake systems in 2-3 laps because of this.

Not sure what group was running that track day but they have to be concerned about their insurance as it shows they let somebody out there without a helmet.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I spotted the front/rear mismatched tires, but didn't look hard enough to realize both the fronts were mis-matched left to right as well. More idiot decisions here.

And I'll be honest here, very few cars brake systems can withstand road course work. Its almost always the fluid that gives up first because Fluid that can last a long time, is usually fluid that boils at lower temperatures.

One of the first pieces of Advice I heard when I uttered "Maybe I'll take my car on track" was "You should bleed the fluid with good aftermarket and switch to track pads".

And while you don't always have to switch to a track pad, you pretty much ALWAYS have to flush the system with a good hi-temp fluid.

I put RBF600 into the RS when I took it to Autobahn and it last all day long without a hint of fade. The stock pads were fine for what I was doing and the speeds I was getting up to.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it's going to depend on the track (blackhawk always had hottest temps for me) but newbies their first day out if they came unprepped for the work are usually blasting through tires or brakes regardless of car. dunno if anything comes from the factory without simple street fluid. you might be best off in a miata or something being a light boi. 1000 hp in a battery sled though, few minutes to fucked isn't all that surprising

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
he mentions tracking his porsche and viper but how much track experience do you have if you decide to take a 2 ton 1000hp car out on a track, and that speed, and with street fluid? i wouldn't have done that with 300 hp and 1000 lb less.

all i noticed in his previous videos was a single time on track

where he didn't wear a helmet his first session either. looks like he just picks up a loaner one after that too, and the footage is all on him instead of the course or hands or anything but it even looks like he's taking some turns with one hand, which is like a road course sin.

his normal drag combo (where i'm sure they are much more lax about this) of a racing seat and a stock seat belt would be totally frowned upon too (although i think most everywhere would let you drive on it)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info