Tesla Competition? Think Not

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Good video to watch. They do a cannonball run in the Porsche Electric car. I would never do such a drive, but it shows the huge glaring issues the car has as well as the Charging network it runs on.

Porsche claimed 350kw of charging, however nearly all of those chargers did not work with the car. Some sort of software bug possibly. Also the car had glitches as well, the main screen just shutting off, the navigation was frozen in another state and even Porsche couldnā€™t fix it at the dealer.

Itā€™s a long video, but it shows that the competition is still years away and they are feeling some of the same pains Tesla did before. Just because you are some big bad manufacturer doesnā€™t mean you will get it right.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would not. Simply because like Iā€™ve said from the beginning their charging network is nowhere close. This video showed huge issues they need to figure out and soon.

Want a super expensive car for putting around locally? Sure. But as a competitor? It is not

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I would not. Simply because like Iā€™ve said from the beginning their charging network is nowhere close. This video showed huge issues they need to figure out and soon.

Want a super expensive car for putting around locally? Sure. But as a competitor? It is not
Exactly, depends what youā€™re using it for. Car would be trickle charged at work and home so it doesnā€™t really matter. Weā€™d have other gassers for road trips.

Reactions: frank and Yaj Yak

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Exactly, depends what youā€™re using it for. Car would be trickle charged at work and home so it doesnā€™t really matter. Weā€™d have other gassers for road trips.

Totally different story. And like most of those reviews you saw Iā€™m sure were for a day where they were loaned the car to blast around and rave about the speed and tech. Very few Iā€™m sure were longer drives.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I don't want to watch such a long video, but if they are using Electrify America, they are total crap. I've tried three different times to charge our cars on their stations and its never worked.
I read an article on how they outsourced everything and they have 4 different vendors for card readers and making the physical stations. They aren't working well together and they are just plagued with problems.

As Turk said, if you buy an electric car for around town and a gasser for long trips, you'll be fine. If you plan on road tripping your electric car, Tesla is the only real option right now in the US.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don't want to watch such a long video, but if they are using Electrify America, they are total crap. I've tried three different times to charge our cars on their stations and its never worked.
I read an article on how they outsourced everything and they have 4 different vendors for card readers and making the physical stations. They aren't working well together and they are just plagued with problems.

As Turk said, if you buy an electric car for around town and a gasser for long trips, you'll be fine. If you plan on road tripping your electric car, Tesla is the only real option right now in the US.

Electrify America partnered with VW and Porsche. So ā€œtechnicallyā€ this is as close to the supercharger network for this Porsche as you can get since they had their hand in it.

So really these types of issues should not be happening in production. And it should not take random YouTube people to figure this issue out for them.

Also I know itā€™s long. Just skip around. Nearly every charging stop was plagued with problems. They had to resort to only using the 150kw connectors as the 350s wouldnā€™t work.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
If this worked I wouldnā€™t be knocking it. ā€œWhenā€ they were actually able to get it to work it was comparable to my model Y charging wise. I can pull 250kws at a version 3 Tesla charger. The Porsche in the video was typically about 240-260 kws on the 350 charger. So that actually makes me question if the car would ever be able to do 350kws or if Porsche over promised and under performed.

That being said 90% of the time they couldnā€™t get them to work. So they wasted 5-10 mins every stop going from 350kw charger to the next before finally giving up and just resorting to the 150 level charger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info