• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Terminator or Coyote?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well obviously a sra is a better all out choice for a drag car but the IRS can do it too....you probably see more busted b/c people dont get out of it when the car hops :rofl:

"Hmm, the rear ends feels weird. Better keep my foot in it."

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Its a solid motor. I like the cars a lot...I still think the interior isnt all that great (but its a massive, ginormous leap from the cobra :rofl:)

Having owned a 05 and an 06 S197, and now a 14, even the difference between those cars and the 14 is another giant leap IMO. I've driven 'new edge' 99-04 cars, and the interior reminds me of 95 Ford Explorers and Rangers... Modern, for the early 90's....

Lots of little details that I like a ton even on my base car that my older premium car didn't have:

Cup holder cover (Because that's where your arm rests anyways) instead of having your elbow sitting in a cupholder

Soft Touch plastics everywhere that you actually have your hands/knees near (Especially at the base of the Console, extremely nice to have

6 speed (6th gear is a true overdrive, I see 28mpg on the highway, while I saw 23-24 in my 4.6 powered cars)

Base GT's now have 18s

Aux input in the armrest

Aux power in the armrest

Steering wheel audio controls

Dashboard Aux power has a built in cover that doesn't just fall out

Trunk Release button on center console (05-09 was keyfob only)

Emergency brake has real boot instead of crappy rubber guard

I also like the new visual stuff for the 13-14 year cars (The headlights that pay homage to the old 70's mustangs *And have projectors*, that the front Grill is a bit taller than the headlights, the heat extractors on the hood, the sequential taillights and the styling of them). I was not keen on the 11-12 year cars.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

:picard: lol

Well obviously a sra is a better all out choice for a drag car but the IRS can do it too....you probably see more busted b/c people dont get out of it when the car hops :rofl:

"Hmm, the rear ends feels weird. Better keep my foot in it."

no doubt.

Even SRAs aren't immune to snapping shit on wheel hop.

Yes you can. But you are limited on axle size with the IRS, Stage 5 axles seem to break often for their ungodly price, limited on the carrier you can run (does anyone make a spool for a IRS?) and most importantly no way to change the instant center, percentage of rise or anti squat. With a IRS it is more hope and praying it will hook over a science that it is with a live axle.

I love the IRS, don't get me wrong. For a street car and rod race car it is tits. Not so much for serious drag racing.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
The 5.0 interior is way way better IMO. I like the sound of the terminators better though. If you want to drag it, then 5.0 is set up better from the start. I dont think i could ever own a sports car in auto form though. The manual has a bit of a bad rep, but MGW that bitch and call it gold.

Yea I hear ya. Nothing beats rowing through the gears for pure driving pleasure on a street car. All 3 of my cars have been manuals. These new 6 speed autos just seem to be getting more capable and I would think it would be a better route for a hardcore drag car. Not that I plan on doing that.

Wild White Pony

TCG Elite Member
Oct 13, 2012
If you want to have a fast street/strip car go with the Coyote and a blower. If it's about looks I'd take the Cobra. You will get 2X back for every dollar spent on go fast parts with Coyote vs the Cobra, you will have far fewer overall upgrades to suspension and drive line to plant that power with the Coyote if it's an Auto. If it's a Cobra get one that the previous owner has already spent his life savings on while chasing power with endless upgrades. If you opt for a new Boss, you'll get that forged motor but will be forced into a manual trans.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Both are bad ass for sure.

You can get a twin screw termi that's hopefully got a solid swap for under what you could a new 5.0. And you'll have a bad ass car right away, not have to build up one from stock.

Now the new 5.0 is bad ass, and will make gobs of power with a blower as well, but it's gonna cost a little more to get you there. Now if the money isn't a concern then I would prob go with this. Then you can build what you want.

Laughing at people saying more modern look when it's a retro design on the 5.0

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Both are bad ass for sure.

You can get a twin screw termi that's hopefully got a solid swap for under what you could a new 5.0. And you'll have a bad ass car right away, not have to build up one from stock.

Now the new 5.0 is bad ass, and will make gobs of power with a blower as well, but it's gonna cost a little more to get you there. Now if the money isn't a concern then I would prob go with this. Then you can build what you want.

Laughing at people saying more modern look when it's a retro design on the 5.0

Its worlds more modern than the terminator's body and interior design. Doesn't matter what its modeled after unless it was literally the 65 body on there. Your statement makes no sense. I award you no likes and may god have mercy on your soul.

:pedobear:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Coyote is superior in almost every way. Only thing the Cobra has is the engine can make more power before needing upgrades. That being said, just saw a stock long block coyote (on s197forum) with an On3 turbo (cheap junk essentially) go 9.37@154. The coyotes are stupid, and I hate them because I don't have one.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
They heads on the coyote flow unreal numbers for a stock head. The cam timing is gonna help driveability and power production. Especially when you add cams. Ported heads have been flown in the 340 cfm range. Due to the head design you are limited some on the cam lift due to clearance issues. But there may be way around that as well.

The technology in the motor is incredible.

I think the interior is even much better than the 2005-2009 cars. Especially since it goes with the retro theme as it is modeled after a 1967-1968 Mustang. The "soft tough" materials are a nice touch. ergonomics are much better than the 03/04 and the bells and whistles are a big bonus.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the interior is even much better than the 2005-2009 cars. Especially since it goes with the retro theme as it is modeled after a 1967-1968 Mustang. The "soft tough" materials are a nice touch. ergonomics are much better than the 03/04 and the bells and whistles are a big bonus.

I'm gunna disagree on this one. My bro has a 14 and I have an 08. I like my interior FAR better than his.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm gunna disagree on this one. My bro has a 14 and I have an 08. I like my interior FAR better than his.

False.

I used to be a bit biased to the 05-09 interior, now owning a 14 for the past few weeks I feel like I'd have to be on Crack to believe that.

See my 'list of reasons' further up in this thread. I think style wise they are very similar, I just feel like the 14 offers more basic creature comforts that the 05-09 model should have had anyways.

03 (Has extra gauges, but same angle as the other 2)

m5lp_1008_04_o2B2003_ford_mustang_cobra2Binterior_zpsbc836715.jpg

ag_07mustang_interior.jpg

2014-Ford-Mustang-interior-2_zpsff37e7e9.jpg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
False.

I used to be a bit biased to the 05-09 interior, now owning a 14 for the past few weeks I feel like I'd have to be on Crack to believe that.

See my 'list of reasons' further up in this thread. I think style wise they are very similar, I just feel like the 14 offers more basic creature comforts that the 05-09 model should have had anyways.

ag_07mustang_interior.jpg

2014-Ford-Mustang-interior-2.jpg

Posting the pictures just reaffirms my belief (for me at least.) I drive my bros 14 a lot, I'm well aware of what it has and what its lacking.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
I'd take a boss not a regular 5.0 unless I had the cash to build a motor.

However if your taking 2 cars lets say same price the termi would most likely be the better track performer because there is $ into it and the potential for power and times is there if it does not have upgrades.

If your into interiors which most of you seem to be concerned with go with the new 5.0.

If you go to the track a lot it's a toss up based on how fast you want to go. A low modded cobra will be in the 11's and so will a 5.0. If you want creature features go with the newer car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info