Terminator or Coyote?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is the better car to own for street/strip? We all know unmolested and low milage 03-04 cobras are few and far between. Good condition ones seem to be going for the low 20's. How do they compare to the 2011+ GT's which can be had for only a little more?

I know terminators have tons of potential for making power but the newer GT's have a refined chassis, option for an auto tranny and a solid axle. I think they both look equally cool. Help me out fellas, I'm a GM guy :smile:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
id personally be in a 5.0

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
5.0. It is a much better all around car. It is what you would expect for a car that has that many years to be refined. It is a much more capable all around car. People have gone high to mid tens with just bolt ons. And a converter for the auto equipped cars.

If you can swing it the Boss would be even a better bet. A forged motor with cnc ported heads, different intake and much more when compared to the GT's Coyote motor. There are many examples out there that have added boost and have been fine with over 800-900 rwhp.

serb82

Reaction score
I like the overall look of a cobra better then a plain 5.0, but a little bit in appearance section and they are sweet, plus 10 year newer technology in them.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
The 5.0 interior is way way better IMO. I like the sound of the terminators better though. If you want to drag it, then 5.0 is set up better from the start. I dont think i could ever own a sports car in auto form though. The manual has a bit of a bad rep, but MGW that bitch and call it gold.

Frank Dukes

Reaction score
side bar on this one - are cobras going to continue to hold value while the 5.0s get cheaper? i would think yes.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
side bar on this one - are cobras going to continue to hold value while the 5.0s get cheaper? i would think yes.
I did think they were going to drop significantly, but I now may be eating my own words... i think the "nicer" ones will be holding their value just because of their exclusivity & relative rarity.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
Who cares? That means you will still have to pay more for them than modern mustangs. The answer is easy here.

If you want raw/easily up-gradable performance with little to NO creature comforts then its the termy.

If you want all the modern comforts available in a new car, plus updated styling and performance with a warranty, then its the coyote.

I personally want a nice riding, comfortable and fast performance car that can be upgraded to make fast. I dont need to make 800 to the tire, but could if needed with deeper pockets.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
If I did it all over again, Id still get the cobra. Best car Ive owned hands down.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
If I did it all over again, Id still get the cobra. Best car Ive owned hands down.
They are still pricey to buy, but cheap to mod. Whats a 2.9 whipple cost these days?? Like $3k? Thats a steal to make 650 to the tire. The FRPP whipple kit for the coyote from ford is like $7500.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I wouldnt even call them pricey anymore. I mean ya there are guys selling super clean low mileage ones...but you can get them under 20k quite easily these days.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
They are still pricey to buy, but cheap to mod. Whats a 2.9 whipple cost these days?? Like $3k? Thats a steal to make 650 to the tire. The FRPP whipple kit for the coyote from ford is like $7500.
yeah but can't the rest of the 5.0 support that whipple from a drag standpoint better than a cobra can... ie... the rear end?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
The IRS in the cobra is more than capable of going fast...brace + bushings = go to town.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
yeah but can't the rest of the 5.0 support that whipple from a drag standpoint better than a cobra can... ie... the rear end?
Yeah totally. The solid rear setup is fine if you dont get the track pack with the torsen rearend. Thats made for road racing.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
In the past they have held heir value very well. Clean ones will continue to do so. But I have seen 03/04 cobras sell for mid to low teens. They are getting older and some have been beat, rusting bodies and problems. But a clean example will continue to demand top dollar as will any car as it ages.

The 8.8 in the live axle is basically the same 8.8 that has been in the mustang since the Foxbody and light duty trucks before that. Built they have gone 7's in the quarter. Very good rear end, strength wise, especially when you beef them up some.

The IRS in the cobra is more than capable of going fast...brace + bushings = go to town.
Yes and no. I have seen more broke or cracked IRS housings than I have seen with the live axle 8.8. Plus the live axls is much better from a drag racing suspension stand point. The triangulated four link in the live axle is much easier to get to work than the IRS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom