• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Tensioner removal on 3800 Series II

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
How do you remove it? I haven't gone to check it out yet, but my friends dad says there aren't any bolts to take it off (they just called me).... He snapped the bolt to take the pulley off.

BoostJunki3

Slow M90 Setup
Reaction score
sc belt tensioner and acc belt tensioner i believe you just take off the pulley on the tensioner and deep inside the pivot point on the tensioner there is a 13 mm nut in there you can remove with a deep socket. i know the sc belt tensioner is like this.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm, don't think i have ever taken the accessory tensioner off.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
u gotta give'r hell. its a bitch to get off... nut in the center of it. unless we are talkin bout different ones... you got a pic?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
i thought the acc tensioner was part of the alt bracket that has the coolant elbows? Take the alt off and then there are three bolt that hold the whole deal on to the side of the head. You will lose coolant and break the coolant elbows too.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
i thought the acc tensioner was part of the alt bracket that has the coolant elbows? Take the alt off and then there are three bolt that hold the whole deal on to the side of the head. You will lose coolant and break the coolant elbows too.
that sounds about right, i was with them when the picked the car up after it broke and seen it. Its right in that area that your talking about. it on the older model Riviera

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh makes sense, I've taken the entire alternator bracket off but never singled out the tensioner. I went through some bolts myself before i realized those were reverse thread... Durrr..

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
There are 3 bolts that hold on the tensoner assembly then the o-rings on the elbows hold it on a bit too..... if you remove the Alt. and coolant resovoir (on the newer ones) it isn't too hard to get the tensoner off

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
yea we got it off, the replaced the whole this... fuck changing the belt though, had to remove the motor mount brace :picard: dumb design

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
remove the motor mount to change the belt?seriously?

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
oh did i forget to mention the PS pump had to come off to to get to 1 of the bolts for the motor mount bracket :picard:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
weird. i did one yesterday on a supercharged car without takin off anything... maybe na cars are different

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this a 96 to 99 Bonneville? They're the only ones that I know are like that.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm sounds like a pain in the ass.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom