Ten bolt 5 lug gm disc conversion.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
Are there any off the shelf parts I can do this with on my 99 Astro? Been looking. Haven't seen any solutions. Maybe y'all know.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
If I were going to be doing it I would check the 92-96 Impala SS stuff out.

A very common swap was 11" drums as well. I believe there were more than one bolt pattern used on the backing plates, so you'd have to figure that out. The 9" I had came with 11" drums which were actually an excellent upgrade.

An 03-05 axle uses rear disks but is 6 lug. Converting a front to 6 lug is going to be involved and a PITA. Not worth it IMO.

Keep in mind that the 7.5" Ten Bolt in the back is a c-clip axle which means you'll be having to pull the shafts out to swap the backing plates. These like to break the bolt in the diff that holds the carrier pin in, so be prepared to have fun getting the axle shafts out.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
94-96 impala ss/9c1 rear disk brakes should bolt right up.

this is what i plan on doing with my chebby.

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
Fuck drums. Hate hate hate drums

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I want to eventually do wilwood twin piston d52 setup out front and discs in rear. Not bad. Be just over 800 f/r to give this turd some great stopping power

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
does it even have enough power to get to speeds requiring superb stopping power?

OP
Slow Buick

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
does it even have enough power to get to speeds requiring superb stopping power?
it's daily driven on the freeways. every morning when i leave work going northbound , everyone is 90 or better. it's governed at 100 but i would like a little more confidence than the single pots and work-when-they-want-to drums have to offer. :jg:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
When I was on Turbo Mustangs there was a guy hauling his 1/2 ton truck down from 150 in the 1/4 with essentially the same brakes which was likely a higher weight. He had ducting but still, it's a good system.

I would KISS it and get some quality organic pads not ceramic along with good quality rotors. You'll end up detailing your wheels more but they are better grabbing typically. You can tell by the codes on them:

DOT Pad Codes

The Wildwood D52s are kinda meh to me quite frankly, the stock calipers on these vans have quite a bit of piston area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom