Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So we all know the Xen search is kind of trash. It barely functions and even when doing a search for a thread a member started sometimes yields unexpected results.

As a test, I have replaced the Xen search with a custom Google search that ONLY pulls results from TCG. The results are more accurate but you don't have the option to search by thread starter, etc. This is easily reversible but I'll leave it on a few days to see if you guys like it more, or less.

Reactions: Bru and GTvert90

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It would be nice to be able to search titles instead of just everything.

However, a search that works is better than the garbage of the default search. I have no idea how they got it so wrong!

The ability however to use the google search tags helps a lot though. GoogleFu is almost a requirement these days.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
don't like it. is there a way to still use the old search?

the thing is, with the old search, i could do all the specific forum searches it lets me... and if i wanted to try something else, i'd pop into google and do a search for whatever and add site:thechicagogarage.com. i'd say they were complementary. now i can only do the google one it seems.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
One "meeting halfway" solution would be to return the default search and then add a direct link to Google Custom Search in the navbar. It forces and extra click but at least it will still exist. The downside is since the navbar is hidden on mobile, mobile only users are likely to not even realize it exists.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I used the Google search to find something the other day and it worked flawlessly. Better than the old search or so I thought. Tried finding my tint thread the other day instead of going through my profile, found 100 other tint threads but not mine. So I feel like having both isn't a bad idea

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I used the Google search to find something the other day and it worked flawlessly. Better than the old search or so I thought. Tried finding my tint thread the other day instead of going through my profile, found 100 other tint threads but not mine. So I feel like having both isn't a bad idea
In that case, it's possible that your thread was new enough that it hadn't been crawled and added to the custom search.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
One "meeting halfway" solution would be to return the default search and then add a direct link to Google Custom Search in the navbar. It forces and extra click but at least it will still exist. The downside is since the navbar is hidden on mobile, mobile only users are likely to not even realize it exists.

do eet.

extra click or knowing how to site search google worth keeping built in search around IMHO. you can't do some basic things on google like search by author for example.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Thread Info