Temporary Test: Replacing Xen search with a custom Google Search

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
So we all know the Xen search is kind of trash. It barely functions and even when doing a search for a thread a member started sometimes yields unexpected results.

As a test, I have replaced the Xen search with a custom Google search that ONLY pulls results from TCG. The results are more accurate but you don't have the option to search by thread starter, etc. This is easily reversible but I'll leave it on a few days to see if you guys like it more, or less.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I like accuracy over the filter features.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
It would be nice to be able to search titles instead of just everything.

However, a search that works is better than the garbage of the default search. I have no idea how they got it so wrong!

The ability however to use the google search tags helps a lot though. GoogleFu is almost a requirement these days.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Maybe some of the Google pros know of a way to search titles.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
don't like it. is there a way to still use the old search?

the thing is, with the old search, i could do all the specific forum searches it lets me... and if i wanted to try something else, i'd pop into google and do a search for whatever and add site:thechicagogarage.com. i'd say they were complementary. now i can only do the google one it seems.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
B/c thats how I have it for now. Said I was gonna give it the weekend. Typical of TCG, not getting that much feedback :mamoru:

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
So I need to know if this is staying or going.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
One "meeting halfway" solution would be to return the default search and then add a direct link to Google Custom Search in the navbar. It forces and extra click but at least it will still exist. The downside is since the navbar is hidden on mobile, mobile only users are likely to not even realize it exists.

GTvert90

Reaction score
I used the Google search to find something the other day and it worked flawlessly. Better than the old search or so I thought. Tried finding my tint thread the other day instead of going through my profile, found 100 other tint threads but not mine. So I feel like having both isn't a bad idea

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I used the Google search to find something the other day and it worked flawlessly. Better than the old search or so I thought. Tried finding my tint thread the other day instead of going through my profile, found 100 other tint threads but not mine. So I feel like having both isn't a bad idea
In that case, it's possible that your thread was new enough that it hadn't been crawled and added to the custom search.

GTvert90

Reaction score
In that case, it's possible that your thread was new enough that it hadn't been crawled and added to the custom search.
I thought of that as I was posting. Still seems like a con abeit a small one the search did function quite a bit better the first time though vs the built in one

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
One "meeting halfway" solution would be to return the default search and then add a direct link to Google Custom Search in the navbar. It forces and extra click but at least it will still exist. The downside is since the navbar is hidden on mobile, mobile only users are likely to not even realize it exists.
do eet.

extra click or knowing how to site search google worth keeping built in search around IMHO. you can't do some basic things on google like search by author for example.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I agree. I prefer the original other then the 3 letter problem and the results being in oldest thread created first

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i like this new search

didnt read the thread

but now i will

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
read the thread

i like it

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I tried searching for the current rock auto discount code via the integrated google search and it showed me old/expired stuff? Just input.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I tried searching for the current rock auto discount code via the integrated google search and it showed me old/expired stuff? Just input.
I have no control over the Google results. The only input I have is telling it to only search TCG. It's up to Google to effectively crawl the site.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I have no control over the Google results. The only input I have is telling it to only search TCG. It's up to Google to effectively crawl the site.
Understood; was just mentioning something i noticed.

The "Quick Search" Got me what I needed still.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Quick search works pretty well typically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom