Tell me why I shouldn’t buy a newer Suburban and go!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My 03 Suburban has been a positive tank, but I’d seriously take pause taking it on a journey out of state. I’ve been on a 3 hour trip down to Galesburg in 90 degree heat with the A/C on full blast with a loaded travel trailer and it did the trip without hesitation, but honestly with my daughter, my wife, and my dogs all in transit, I realize that there is real risk of even a small over the road failure having dire consequences that far from home.

That being said I’d like a 3 row SUV with towing chops, newer than say 2011, and that can tow ~6500lbs+ (my travel trailer is 4500 dry, 6500 max capacity) and under $40,000. Having sufficient space BEHIND the third row for the dogs and gear is also a requirement

We intend to camp once a month or more during spring/summer/fall.

I will be using it for work and transporting equipment/clients/staff in/around rail yards.

4x4 is a must (Our families farm in Abbington can get hairy when wet pulling a camper out).

I don’t want to deal with it, so 75,000 miles or less, and dead reliable.

My wife says no Escalades, but to my understanding options are really limited for the needs I’ve listed. Having usable space behind the third row seems to be the show stopper for anything that’s not an Expedition EL or GM Full-size offering.

Am I missing any other options? Any real reason to seriously consider an EcoBoost EL over a Burb? (Both also offer 8000-9000 max tow packages)

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Another consideration beside max tow is gvwr and gcvwr. At Max tow you also need to make sure on the weight of the burb itself.

Back to the question at hand. You have AAA and a as said about if it's newer and doesn't have a warranty you are basically in the same position if you have the current one sorted.

Now I'd you go low miles and single owner or perhaps fleet owner then yeah you cod get maintenance history and that goes a long way.... This is kind of more of a ramble than anything

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Another consideration beside max tow is gvwr and gcvwr. At Max tow you also need to make sure on the weight of the burb itself.

Back to the question at hand. You have AAA and a as said about if it's newer and doesn't have a warranty you are basically in the same position if you have the current one sorted.

Now I'd you go low miles and single owner or perhaps fleet owner then yeah you cod get maintenance history and that goes a long way.... This is kind of more of a ramble than anything

I agree, but there is a level of piece of mind having something 10 years newer when pushing its upper boundaries. It’s also a consolidation effort, ditching the Mustang and current Burb in favor of bring back the Ranger and having a newer/nicer truck.

It’s only a “high priced Escalade” when it’s new.

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/774609646/overview?aff=share_other

I can get a Similar Suburban for 4-6k less still? It more about she doesn’t like the Escalade Stigma. I admit at work a Suburban or even a Yukon denali is viewed as acceptable and even necessary, while an Escalade is Pompous.

You guys are still kind of missing the point; am I missing any other options given the needs? Is the Expo even worth considering? It’s max Tow has 1000lbs over the Burb, but it’s kind of moot with GVWR etc.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
We might have opposing viewpoints here with you having a family and all, but, I just took my 2003 with 314,000 miles on it on a 1,000 mile trip towing a trailer and wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow... I personally think you've got just as good of a chance of a three year old truck breaking down as you do with a well maintained older one. The only breakdowns I've ever had have actually been in "newer" vehicles.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I just bought a 2017 Expedition EL XLT in October 2018. 34k Miles. Fully loaded, heated and cooled seats, tow package, 4X4, downhill assist etc etc. I payed $35k. Love it a lot. Drives really nice. Drove awesome in the deep snow in Northern Wisconsin/Lake Superior.

If you’re not brand loyal like myself. I think the Expedition EL is a better bargain price wise.

969fbb057af9217a0c81ed4c0f04c9a8.jpg

d4d8d5f922c98a93ce96603b5215ab25.jpg

cfa0ce73e9a46107d4d2dfb992a5472b.jpg

d1b71822610a0113cb51734d3ecb8c72.jpg

bb7135bc8f5025e47832e064a09fe8df.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I just bought a 2017 Expedition EL XLT in October 2018. 34k Miles. Fully loaded, heated and cooled seats, tow package, 4X4, downhill assist etc etc. I payed $35k. Love it a lot. Drives really nice. Drove awesome in the deep snow in Northern Wisconsin/Lake Superior.

If you’re not brand loyal like myself. I think the Expedition EL is a better bargain price wise.

Have you towed anything significant with it? How is the interior holding up so far? My biggest dissatisfier with my Mustang currently is material wise it hasn’t been holding up well, especially for how low the usage of the car is. When shopping did you spend any time around earlier than 2017 ones to compare?

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Have you towed anything significant with it? How is the interior holding up so far? My biggest dissatisfier with my Mustang currently is material wise it hasn’t been holding up well, especially for how low the usage of the car is. When shopping did you spend any time around earlier than 2017 ones to compare?

I have not towed anything yet. But there is a towing thread on the Expedition forum that I’ve followed loosely. Seams they tow very well. You’ll have to jump ahead in the thread to read about the Ecoboost models.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/photos-of-trailer-s-that-you-tow-with-your-expedition.11135/

Fit and finish are great still. I’m at 50k miles now and the drivers seat looks really good still. I did not look at earlier models nor did I look at the standard size models. I knew I wanted a newer 2016 and up. I did compare XLT’s versus the Platinum’s. The Platinums were just too costly for the amount of miles on them versus what I could get in a loaded XLT with 20,000+ miles less than a Platinums.

Plus there are plenty of mods that can be done to the Ecoboost and there is always Forscan that people tinker with to change various onscreen displays.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
For what it's worth, I have 170,000 miles on my 6.7 F350 that more than likely shares many of the same interior components, materials and build standards. It still looks as good as the day it left the factory. No wear on buttons, no torn seats or peeling/ stretched leather. All of the functions still work as designed.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you've found 1500 burb's with max tow package?

that package is rare as fuck in the pickup trucks...

8k is a solid amount of weight.

wind resistance sucks more though.

there's a local 2012 Z71 with it right now for 17; I'm still trying to read/find what is in the package outside of 3.42's Vs. the 3.08's.

I had the understanding that Burbs with integrated trailer brake controllers had their associated max tow package? I've seen quite a few LTZ's with that present and the VIN Decoder confirms 3.42s

I had no issue towing with my 03 Burb doing 70 most the way down to Galesburg, double axle trailer and the longer wheel base of the Burb probably helped the general stability a lot.

So back to the original post though, Expedition EL or Burb the only viable options then? Correct?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info