Tell me about Jeep Grand Cherokees

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
depends on the year/generation.
i worked at a jeep/chrysler svc dept from 02-05 and i would say try and stay away from 99-04
i can give you a laundry list of problems. brake rotors being one of them. people would complain every 5K-10K on new pads and rotors of pulsating brakes.
window regulators, door lock actuators, rear diff bearings, trans valve body, governor switch....the only real concern with 4.0's is the rear main seal will go after a while....usually after 100K miles.

when we first got the 05's in....there were alot of electrical issues ( front control module mostly)....then i left....so hopefully they resolved the new body styles problems

dont get me wrong, they are great, can handle the winter and retain a decent value.
BUT
a wrangler ( TJ 97-06) or a square cherokee ( last one was 01 ) would cause you less " nickel and dime headaches "

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
My dad has a 99 JGC Limited with the 4.7. The engine has been rock solid, just had to replace 1 coilpack, and hes at 150k. The trans went thru 2 Speed Sensor's (common), but otherwise shifts pretty well. We had an electrical problem with the Leak Detection Pump, but it ended up being a pinched wire.

The rear diff bearing howls (common), replaced all the 02's but the cats were bad (calif. Emission equipped), the transfer case (NV247) is shot it needs to be rebuilt, A/C system leaks, the front tweeters are blown (common), both front axles need to be rebooted or possibly replaced.

BUT the heated seats work great, no problems with the heating system, the memory seats work, the seats are comfy as hell, it does a good job towing a 21ft open bow boat, and its no slouch.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've driven:
91 Cherokee 4.0 *On its second transmission, and second X-fer case at 160K*
93 Cherokee 4.0 *on its third transmission at 212K, dunno how many if any X-fer cases*
96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 *On its second transmission at 67K
03 Grand Cherokee 4.7 *On its second trans at 112K, and had a trans sensor failing at the time*

All of the 4.0's felt and rode the same (Rough and coarse) *Granted the 96 GC was the older style*
the 03 was super comfy and rode smoothly for original suspension, but the interior felt dated, and had a slew of electrical issues as mentioned above. the 4.7 had some decent guts to it, but those transmissions scare me...

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i've had my 00 GC for just over a year now. it has the selec-trac 2 or 4wd transfer case. i get 16MPG city only driving, and got 24-25 on the highway (65-70MPH). i really like it, the 4.7l gets up and goes, with pretty much the same gas mileage as the 4.0l (if not better). it rides great (nice on long hauls or just around), is awesome in the snow, and has quite a few nice creature comforts (dual heated leater seats, dual climate control, dual power seats, keyless entry linked memory seats, etc).
only real problem i've had (besides having to rebuild the engine after the previous owner ran it out of oil) is the blend doors for the dual climate control broke, which meant i had no heat. i had to pull the dash, and the part was ~$120. this is a common problem in these...other than that it hasnt given me a single problem. it starts up and rides great everyday.
104k miles and no trans, diff, or transfer case issues yet. *knock on wood*
if you want a jeep for a DD, i would go with the GC over the cherokee simply because the suspension/ride quality is alot better.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the 03 was super comfy and rode smoothly for original suspension, but the interior felt dated.

you must have driven a laredo, and not a limited. mine has a better interior than any ford or chevy suv from that same year.

and yeah, the old 4.0s were pretty rough riders back in the early to mid 90s. they just kept running though

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you must have driven a laredo, and not a limited. mine has a better interior than any ford or chevy suv from that same year.

and yeah, the old 4.0s were pretty rough riders back in the early to mid 90s. they just kept running though

I just popped onto consumer guide... Maybe I drove a 00? There were like 3 different 'interior revisions' through the years it looks like

Regardless, Was 'much nicer place to be' than the cherokee's
*Consumer guide content below*

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Two-wheel-drive Grand Cherokees now were available with V8 power. The 6-cylinder engine had previously been mandatory with rear-drive. For 2000, Selec-Trac 4WD was available with the V8, after being limited to the 6-cylinder. Front seatbelt pretensioners became standard, as did sunvisor extensions and a "Headlights-On" indicator on the dashboard.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Interior revisions and larger wheels were new this year. A 5-speed automatic transmission replaced the 4-speed for V8 models. A second overdrive top gear in the new 5-speed automatic was intended to increase highway fuel economy. Like the 4-speed, it had an extra gear between second and third gears, to improve passing response. Limited models exchanged their standard 16-inch wheels for 17-inchers, which were optional on Laredos. Aluminum-finished interior trim was added, and the available universal garage-door opener was newly backlit for easier nighttime viewing. New standard features included a rear storage net, rear child-seat anchors, and a connector for electric trailer brakes.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee: New models for 2002 included the Sport, with leather upholstery, heated mirrors, and other amenities standard, and the Special Edition, with a 10-disc CD changer and body-color exterior trim. Topping the line was the new Overland, with a 260-hp V8 engine, altered front and rear styling, and special interior trim. Side curtain airbags and power-adjustable brake and accelerator pedals were newly optional.
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Laredo got revised front seats for '03, and rear seats gained the LATCH child-seat attachment system.
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Jeep offered a 2WD version of their most-expensive model, Overland, for 2004. Also new this year is an available navigation system.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
i agree with the blend air doors with the dual climate control, we started seeing them in 2002-2004 ( mostly limiteds ) and through the dealer it was like a 6 hour job and cost 800+ bucks !!!

the 4.7 and 45re ( i think ) trans is damn near bulletproof as long as you keep up with maintenance......my dad has this combo in his 2000 durango and has had ZERO problems

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info