Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ive got my desktop (which i really only use for photoshopping and web browsing anymore), my laptop...which i use for browsing and my phone.

i find myself on my phone more than both of those other two combined when im at home. i use it for aim / chat, web browsing, music, etc. i was thinking of looking into the new galaxy 10.1 tablet that comes out today. looks pretty bauce and i of course love android...but i'm not sure if i'm sold on the need for a tablet. it would for sure replace the need for a laptop and its far less cumbersome to use around the house, in the garage, etc.

i can basically do everything on it that my laptop can do (aside from photoshop, but thats what my desktop is for).

anyway, does anyone own a tablet or have a legit opinion on the topic?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
stone_tablet.jpg

I'm not sure how this is going to help you....

To be honest, I have a closet love affair with iPads....

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I would wait on the 10.1 Galaxy, seeing as the first one was a fucking joke. IF you were going to get a tablet, I would say iPad 2, Xoom, or if you wait to see the reviews and use it yourself on the 10.1, (because the thing is fucking awesome I played with it last night at work).

My first impressions on the 10.1 Galaxy is it's thinner than the iPad, bigger screen, but 'feels' cheaper. It has a very plasticy back to it, but the screen is nice. It's fast as it should be...it's bascially another Xoom. The OS is flawless, but then again I only used it for about 5 minutes. I really hope it doesn't prove to be just a great first impression because it's a nice device. The iPad2 has some good competition if it stays good.

Going onto the Xoom...I really think that this would destory the iPad if it wasn't $100 more. I like the Xoom... honeycomb, just as fast as the ipad, flash...you couldn't ask for more. We use one at work to help us look up shit, show people what you can do with tablets with like wireless printing and using it as your TV remote, and I think it's flawless. One of the less buggy tablets.

I should also mention that I own an iPad 1 and I love the thing...but if I had to do it again, I would want to do something more along the lines of an android because I'm so used to my phone and honeycomb is boss

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The problem with the Android Tablets and Android as a whole is fragmentation. With Apple, programmers have a few devices to program for and thus don't need to account for different operating system versions, different resolution screens, different processing power, etc. So while Android has this beautiful marketplace, you have to be really careful about what works where. My brother's Mytouch 3g plays Angry Birds at something like 5 frames a second.

This problem doesn't exist with the iPad and because of it's popularity and the fact that you don't have to account for a bunch of extra variables, programmers flock to IOS in spades.

So while people like to have the fight about what's better, the Android product or the Apple product... Well, the Android products are often better but the Apple product has the software and at the end of the day that's the only thing that matters.

IMO, right now as far as tablets go, iPad is it.

Plus, Mr Mook, you like racing and shit. There's this game called Real Racing for the iPad right... If you have an Apple TV you can wirelessly stream the game to your TV in 1080P and use your iPad as your dashboard/ steering wheel. In short, this is fucking awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GaT9EGsLrk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info