Tech Folk - Is a tablet worth it yet?

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
My gf has the original iPad and uses it everyday, she barely uses her PC anymore. Good battery life and she can do about 75% of things that can be done on a PC. I used to hate on tablets but they are actually pretty useful tools. I'd personally never drop the money on an ipad since it lacks things like Flash support. Tablets will continue to keep getting better and better, and every major tech company seems to be making their own. Just hope they improve on the batteries too. I'll probably buy one some day too but for now I can wait.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The problem with the Android Tablets and Android as a whole is fragmentation. With Apple, programmers have a few devices to program for and thus don't need to account for different operating system versions, different resolution screens, different processing power, etc. So while Android has this beautiful marketplace, you have to be really careful about what works where. My brother's Mytouch 3g plays Angry Birds at something like 5 frames a second.

This problem doesn't exist with the iPad and because of it's popularity and the fact that you don't have to account for a bunch of extra variables, programmers flock to IOS in spades.

So while people like to have the fight about what's better, the Android product or the Apple product... Well, the Android products are often better but the Apple product has the software and at the end of the day that's the only thing that matters.

IMO, right now as far as tablets go, iPad is it.

Plus, Mr Mook, you like racing and shit. There's this game called Real Racing for the iPad right... If you have an Apple TV you can wirelessly stream the game to your TV in 1080P and use your iPad as your dashboard/ steering wheel. In short, this is fucking awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GaT9EGsLrk

agreed, but its only a matter of time before it becomes less fragmented. plus if you think about it, its not that big of a problem. you only have to write code once for it to work with any device that uses that hardware. then its just copy and paste. the problem is the hardware is changing faster then the software, so developers are constantly in a losing battle

BUT thats also the point of android/linux... open source so an almost unlimited amount of developers to work on it, and usually for free. a majority of the android community has been improved by forums more then developers

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
I love my Blackberry Playbook. It bridges with my phone (blackberry) so I get internet without paying for a tethering fee. I like the 7" design bc it's much more portable than the bigger ones.

It has completely replaced my laptop for web browsing around the house as it supports flash and has great battery life.

If you are using your laptop just for browsing, a tablet will replace it right away.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Hard choices. The galaxy, xoom, and the iPad 2. I looked at them and they all have their strengths and weaknesses like mentioned previously. In all honesty, I think it'd be a nice thing to get (getting a tablet), especially while you are on the go. Bigger screen compared to your phone, lighter/thinner than a laptop...ect. I say go for it.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I would take a look at a wi-fi only xoom. I was thinking about buying one, but I think I'm going to wait for the ipad 3 and whatever motorola releases for an upgrade to the xoom to come out. Rumor is that the ipad 2 was just a quick thing so they could get something new out there to compete, and the ipad 3 is going to have a serious feature set and actually be a new product, which of course the android tablets will have to compete with. No point in getting 3g IMO, if I'm using something that big there's most likely wifi around. If I were to buy a tablet now though I'd probably spend the extra $50 (iirc) on the xoom.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
iPad 3 coming out soon FTW.... Who can even keep those android tablets straight? Not even the manufacturers since they can't even reliable produce a damn software update on a regular basis. Did they SELL 100k xooms yet? I know they shipped that many but most were being returned by the stores before even being sold. What do you figure the hardware support or software support is going to be like for 20 different "xoom" like tablets? Sure you can root it and hack it up but at that point it just becomes another pain in your ass to monitor like your phone to make sure everything is working ok and not chewing up battery life. Plus getting files on and off is a cumbersome and involved process requiring apps and user intervention. With the iPad and iCloud all your filesmove around seamlessly without you even having to intervene. I mean honestly with ios5, what does android really have over iOS? I've used those tablets side by side and not even looking at specs or what brand anything was I can say 100% that the iPad ran everything much smoother than any other tablet. The only reason I don't have one is because I want to wait for the upgraded screen on the iPad 3 because I'm completely spoiled by the ip4 screen

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info