• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

teach me to LS motor [truck edition]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
my pickemup truck has 185k on the 4.8, which, it might last another 7 years, or it might grenade next week.

either way, there is a part of me wanting to build a something for it... 5.3/6.0/6.2/boosted 4.8... dunno.

the biggest thing i want to retain is reliability.

next concern is $$$ into it, and finally, power & efficiency.

do i build an iron block 5.3? an aluminum one?

do i build anything at all? do i just throw a 6.0 in it and call it good and not "build" anything?

or do i say fuggitall and just buy a new truck (don't really care to do this... my truck is MINT body-wise... not a spec of rust anywhere)

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Stock bottom end on anything is plenty strong enough for any sort of power level I'd want to drive around at daily and call reliable and tolerable in all conditions.

whatever the best deal is, go with that. The bigger displacement motors open up options to different heads. Like a 6.0 with L92/LS3 heads and a blower that I may have for sale would be a pretty cheap combo and make tons of reliable pah

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Stock bottom end on anything is plenty strong enough for any sort of power level I'd want to drive around at and call reliable and tolerable in all conditions.

whatever the best deal is, go with that. The bigger displacement motors open up options to different heads. Like a 6.0 with L92/LS3 heads and a blower that I may have for sale would be a pretty cheap combo and make tons of reliable pah

do you know all the steps or things needed to make the accessory drive on my truck, line up perfectly with that stuff?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
do you know all the steps or things needed to make the accessory drive on my truck, line up perfectly with that stuff?

$475 laser cut bracket. It's that place I was talking to you about. You'll be piecing together the intercooler system which should be no problem, you're familiar with that from the gee tee pee stuff

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
$475 laser cut bracket. It's that place I was talking to you about. You'll be piecing together the intercooler system which should be no problem, you're familiar with that from the gee tee pee stuff

ls conversion brackets-LSSimpleV-1 2,3, 7 Vortec Supercharger bracket kit stand alone extension no belt

got it.

intercooler is built into that supercharger you have of course right? so plumbing/pump/reservoir/radiator would be the necessary portions ?

LQ4 has dished pistons, lq9 had flat tops iirc. I've forgotten a bunch of stuff, but pretty sure they made them newer than that. One year, maybe 09?, they changed to a floating wrist pin.

got it.

any need to stay away from DOD engines or no?

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

oh right right, so the truck accessories stay how they are, and the bracket adds an additional belt like a gtp has or does it all run off one belt?

intercooler system- plumbing/resevoir/pump/heat exchanger done?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
ls conversion brackets-LSSimpleV-1 2,3, 7 Vortec Supercharger bracket kit stand alone extension no belt

got it.

intercooler is built into that supercharger you have of course right? so plumbing/pump/reservoir/radiator would be the necessary portions ?

got it.

any need to stay away from DOD engines or no?

intercooler is part of the lid and included. need the front mount hx,pump, reservoir, plumbing. TB , some misc bolts and gaskets, and an LSA fuel rail are all that's left to complete it.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Rebuild the 4.8 that's already in there, rebuild transmission or swap to an 80E, and do a JY/Chinese turbo setup on it with mild boost. Depending on what your stock injectors are (EV1, EV6, EV14) buy a set of used takeoff Cobra 39's, LSA, etc injectors for <$150 and throw a Walbro or Aeromotive fuel pump in the back for $100-$150. Let her eat and enjoy the boost in fuel mileage too! It shouldn't be that expensive and if tuned well can run for a long time. If you somehow manage to blow the 4.8 then swap another in or step up to something bigger that will still be dirt cheap. I suggest trying to avoid DoD if possible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info