• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

teach me to LS motor [truck edition]

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
what's tough is, do i do $1500-2500 worth of engine stuff, a 2-3k in trans stuff bill, and then still have to address the "weak" rear end...

be in 4-8k on a truck worth less than 10k.

Ain't no 4-8k about it homeslice. My (solid) 80e from a wrecked '00s Savannah, with 90k on the clock, cost me a whopping single Benjamin. Thar be deals to be had if you're quick. You don't even want to know how cheap I'd go with your engine. :rofl:

One thought I had, you do use your truck for truck shit a bit IIRC. The torque and powerband of a drop-in 6l would be a bit more intuitive to this than a low-boost 4.8/5.3... You'll get better MPGz with the 4.8 though as long as you can stay out of the throttle most the time. :hsughcool:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Freshen up 4.8 as suggested, Get that there oil less turbo and remote mount it off the flange on the y pipe tread stone intercooler core and an eBay pipe kit, build a little rock guard around the turbo, let it rip

Perhaps I am not aware of the new offerings, but when I checked into becoming a dealer for an oil-less turbo manufacturer (Aerocharger) the prices just weren't competitive enough compared to conventional turbos. Mind you this was over 5 years ago, and they were variable vane as well, but does another place have an offering that's reliable and cost effective now?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ain't no 4-8k about it homeslice. My (solid) 80e from a wrecked '00s Savannah, with 90k on the clock, cost me a whopping single Benjamin. Thar be deals to be had if you're quick. You don't even want to know how cheap I'd go with your engine. :rofl:

One thought I had, you do use your truck for truck shit a bit IIRC. The torque and powerband of a drop-in 6l would be a bit more intuitive to this than a low-boost 4.8/5.3... You'll get better MPGz with the 4.8 though as long as you can stay out of the throttle most the time. :hsughcool:

but even the infallible 4L80e can be broked... who knows if the 4L80e i get was neutral dropped all of it's life, or used in a plow truck or whatever... i don't know if i'd trust a drop in trans immediately to drive 20k+ per year

my truck does do some tiny truck things occasionally- but anything i do will be much better than what it is now. i've gotten by like it is for 3 years pulling ~5k lb boat/trailer setups and stuff so im not all too worried- but it is a good point you bring up.

i wonder how a turbo 4.8 setup tows...

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I bet it tows just like a not turbo 4.8 until the boost hits, main thing will be keeping the under hood temps down while towing, I think remote mounting a turbo would keep it closest to stock as far as towing reliability and under hood temps, if you mount the turbo under the hood you may have some heat issues, the only real issues with remote mounting is intercooler plumbing and it really shouldnt be a huge issue just alittle more pipe to get the air up that way, I would have someone tig most of the pipe together so your not under there tightening t bolt clamps all the time, buy 4l80 buy rebuild kit bribe and pay offshore drilling to freshen it up for you, Id probably leave the motor mostly stock maybe a mild gm cam like an ls9 something that will still tow ok but help with boost and be cheap, head studs and run that bitch

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL

At cruise it would be about the same as N/A, but get better gas mileage. When accelerating, the considerably better midrange torque will help pull the heavy rig with much more ease.

I bet it tows just like a not turbo 4.8 until the boost hits, main thing will be keeping the under hood temps down while towing, I think remote mounting a turbo would keep it closest to stock as far as towing reliability and under hood temps, if you mount the turbo under the hood you may have some heat issues, the only real issues with remote mounting is intercooler plumbing and it really shouldnt be a huge issue just alittle more pipe to get the air up that way, I would have someone tig most of the pipe together so your not under there tightening t bolt clamps all the time, buy 4l80 buy rebuild kit bribe and pay offshore drilling to freshen it up for you, Id probably leave the motor mostly stock maybe a mild gm cam like an ls9 something that will still tow ok but help with boost and be cheap, head studs and run that bitch

Given the load that the additional weight will be placing upon the turbo, KJ wouldn't be waiting long for the boost to kick in while towing.

I have built a few remote mounted turbo systems from scratch and the cold side plumbing for them is not that bad; even without TIG welding all of the bends together. The t-bolt clamps never needed to be retightened at all. The charge pipe will be longer than a conventional, but if the turbo is mounted somewhere low near the middle/front of the truck, then there won't be a significant difference in length.

Formula_LS1

Addict
Sep 27, 2008
I haven't done a ton of research on the oil-less turbos, but I remember a reading about a few people on LS1Tech having issues with them. I would just ditch the 4.8 and pick up a junkyard gen 4 5.3 (05+...stronger rods and pistons) and go with a turbo like mine or something like a TC78 if you're on more of a budget. It will make good power, spool instantly, and be reliable to 600+ hp. Can even try going Chinese turbo if you're really budget oriented

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
tur-00chevy4x41f.jpg

#BOOM DONE.

:rofl:

:fy:

:fyws:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
but even the infallible 4L80e can be broked... who knows if the 4L80e i get was neutral dropped all of it's life, or used in a plow truck or whatever... i don't know if i'd trust a drop in trans immediately to drive 20k+ per year

my truck does do some tiny truck things occasionally- but anything i do will be much better than what it is now. i've gotten by like it is for 3 years pulling ~5k lb boat/trailer setups and stuff so im not all too worried- but it is a good point you bring up.

That's the beauty of 'em. They're fucking everywhere and near bulletproof, so not only can you nab 'em cheap, you can even feel 'em run before getting pulled sometimes. Just saw one still in-truck on milwaukee cl the other day listed for $350. Find a decent runner that doesn't look too beat and burnt, toss a shift kit at it and let'r eat. You'd even be able to rock the GM converter, it going into a fat-assed truck. :D

You know how badly I misuse, abuse and whoop on my little dangah rangah, I can relate.

Turbo and cam sizing would be critical, but it'd be easy enough to figure out given the amount of times this exact build has been done. Fuck, you could probably come up with five off-the-shelf build lists with a two second google search, complete with dyno charts.

I can't remember what year KJ's truck is, but the ls9 cam wouldn't be worth it if he has to swap timing cover, cps, and all the other junk to use it on stock pcm. A used LS6 or aftermarket bump-stick wouldn't be hard to find though.

Gosh, fuck you @KJ. You're making me itch like a motherfucker to get going on the poopra again. Goddamn priorities... :fu:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That's the beauty of 'em. They're fucking everywhere and near bulletproof, so not only can you nab 'em cheap, you can even feel 'em run before getting pulled sometimes. Just saw one still in-truck on milwaukee cl the other day listed for $350. Find a decent runner that doesn't look too beat and burnt, toss a shift kit at it and let'r eat. You'd even be able to rock the GM converter, it going into a fat-assed truck. :D

You know how badly I misuse, abuse and whoop on my little dangah rangah, I can relate.

Turbo and cam sizing would be critical, but it'd be easy enough to figure out given the amount of times this exact build has been done. Fuck, you could probably come up with five off-the-shelf build lists with a two second google search, complete with dyno charts.

I can't remember what year KJ's truck is, but the ls9 cam wouldn't be worth it if he has to swap timing cover, cps, and all the other junk to use it on stock pcm. A used LS6 or aftermarket bump-stick wouldn't be hard to find though.

Gosh, fuck you @KJ. You're making me itch like a motherfucker to get going on the poopra again. Goddamn priorities... :fu:

my truck is an 07 fwiw.

i have looked pretty hard for truck build setups like i want to do... but seems like most truck build guys have stacks on deck and put 408 ci beast motors in with whipples or two 72's...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info