• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

teach me to LS motor [truck edition]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Rebuild the 4.8 that's already in there, rebuild transmission or swap to an 80E, and do a JY/Chinese turbo setup on it with mild boost. Depending on what your stock injectors are (EV1, EV6, EV14) buy a set of used takeoff Cobra 39's, LSA, etc injectors for <$150 and throw a Walbro or Aeromotive fuel pump in the back for $100-$150. Let her eat and enjoy the boost in fuel mileage too! It shouldn't be that expensive and if tuned well can run for a long time. If you somehow manage to blow the 4.8 then swap another in or step up to something bigger that will still be dirt cheap. I suggest trying to avoid DoD if possible.

with rebuilding the 4.8 that is in here, what steps to rebuild? all new gaskets? get it bored at all? do anything to the heads? head studs... run the same intake manifold?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
what's tough is, do i do $1500-2500 worth of engine stuff, a 2-3k in trans stuff bill, and then still have to address the "weak" rear end...

be in 4-8k on a truck worth less than 10k.

or just buy something like this.

Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 Lt 2500 | eBay

6L80e/12 bolt/6.0 and be done for 18k with a leather interior, 4x4 and comfiness.

dude, i'm glad someone else goes through the same questions.

i feel your pain. :hs:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what's tough is, do i do $1500-2500 worth of engine stuff, a 2-3k in trans stuff bill, and then still have to address the "weak" rear end...

be in 4-8k on a truck worth less than 10k.

or just buy something like this.

Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 Lt 2500 | eBay

6L80e/12 bolt/6.0 and be done for 18k with a leather interior, 4x4 and comfiness.

2500 Burbans drive like apartment complexes, Noticeably worse than 1500's IMO.

*edit*

You ever consider narrowing your search to 1500HD Trucks? There was a black on black 4 door 2wd one forsale just recently in addision for sub 8k recently.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
2500 Burbans drive like apartment complexes, Noticeably worse than 1500's IMO.

Side Note, There is a 4 door, 2 wheel drive Black on Black 1500HD in Addision right now for sub $8k that I was eyeballing. Its at some generic dealer, but it has all the ingredients you're after for a fraction of the cost.

the 2007+ ones drive awesome... and the 00-06 ones aren't thaaaaaaaaat bad to begin with.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
the 2007+ ones drive awesome... and the 00-06 ones aren't thaaaaaaaaat bad to begin with.

I drive my Father In-laws 2013 with some regularity for running errands, and it feels like a schoolbus even after driving their chevy express van.

I don't mean 'bad' as in Rough, I mean as in 'Numb', as in it feels like the steering input is a suggestion. I know this is in part because its so freaking big/heavy, but is scary if you are trying to hustle it somewhere.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
with rebuilding the 4.8 that is in here, what steps to rebuild? all new gaskets? get it bored at all? do anything to the heads? head studs... run the same intake manifold?

All new gaskets/seals, new bearings wouldn't be bad either, new rings which also means re-honing the bores, ARP hardware including head studs or bolts, clean up the cylinder head decks. Don't bother boring out or swapping major hardware unless it is broken. The boost will make up for this and a small universal intercooler kit from CXRacing or the like will keep IAT's in check.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
A gasket kit was around 1k when I bought one 3-4 years ago. If you really want a budget build, compression check and let it ride.

Wait, what??? Did that include bearings, rings, etc? That's freaking expensive! The gaskets shouldn't cost that much.

EDIT: I just looked online and found full gasket, rings, bearings, etc kits for like $460.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
ain't nothin' not wrong with it right meow homie. :iorofl:

mr-t-lol.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info