teach me to LS motor [truck edition]

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
my pickemup truck has 185k on the 4.8, which, it might last another 7 years, or it might grenade next week.

either way, there is a part of me wanting to build a something for it... 5.3/6.0/6.2/boosted 4.8... dunno.

the biggest thing i want to retain is reliability.

next concern is $$$ into it, and finally, power & efficiency.

do i build an iron block 5.3? an aluminum one?

do i build anything at all? do i just throw a 6.0 in it and call it good and not "build" anything?

or do i say fuggitall and just buy a new truck (don't really care to do this... my truck is MINT body-wise... not a spec of rust anywhere)

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
which 6.0 though? out of another pickemup truck? what years to shoot for and which to stay away from? do i not replace anything before i put it in- or do i do some halfway decent heads & a cam?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Stock bottom end on anything is plenty strong enough for any sort of power level I'd want to drive around at daily and call reliable and tolerable in all conditions.

whatever the best deal is, go with that. The bigger displacement motors open up options to different heads. Like a 6.0 with L92/LS3 heads and a blower that I may have for sale would be a pretty cheap combo and make tons of reliable pah

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION] i see you creepin! i know we talked before about this haha

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Reaction score
Has the trans ever been rebuilt? I don't think you can add any power and not budget for a rebuild.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Stock bottom end on anything is plenty strong enough for any sort of power level I'd want to drive around at and call reliable and tolerable in all conditions.

whatever the best deal is, go with that. The bigger displacement motors open up options to different heads. Like a 6.0 with L92/LS3 heads and a blower that I may have for sale would be a pretty cheap combo and make tons of reliable pah
do you know all the steps or things needed to make the accessory drive on my truck, line up perfectly with that stuff?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Has the trans ever been rebuilt? I don't think you can add any power and not budget for a rebuild.
it has not, but that is of course in the back of my mind for sure and will most definitely be addressed as well.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
do you know all the steps or things needed to make the accessory drive on my truck, line up perfectly with that stuff?
$475 laser cut bracket. It's that place I was talking to you about. You'll be piecing together the intercooler system which should be no problem, you're familiar with that from the gee tee pee stuff

Great White Drake

Reaction score
I had an lq4 built with l92 heads and mild custom spec'd cam. I used thinner head gaskets to give a bump in compression to like 9.9. Carb intake though. Sold it before I ran it, but it runs high 9's in a 3200lb car.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
9.9 compression still able to run 87 or no?

Great White Drake

Reaction score
LQ9 was 01-05 pickemup trucks and suvs it seems right?

how do you tell an lq4 from an lq9
LQ4 has dished pistons, lq9 had flat tops iirc. I've forgotten a bunch of stuff, but pretty sure they made them newer than that. One year, maybe 09?, they changed to a floating wrist pin.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
$475 laser cut bracket. It's that place I was talking to you about. You'll be piecing together the intercooler system which should be no problem, you're familiar with that from the gee tee pee stuff
ls conversion brackets-LSSimpleV-1 2,3, 7 Vortec Supercharger bracket kit stand alone extension no belt

got it.

intercooler is built into that supercharger you have of course right? so plumbing/pump/reservoir/radiator would be the necessary portions ?

LQ4 has dished pistons, lq9 had flat tops iirc. I've forgotten a bunch of stuff, but pretty sure they made them newer than that. One year, maybe 09?, they changed to a floating wrist pin.
got it.

any need to stay away from DOD engines or no?

Great White Drake

Reaction score
9.9 compression still able to run 87 or no?
Yes. Also, take note of the flywheel. Some use a flat one with spacer behind it, others use a dished with spacer outside of plate. Like I said, I can't remember which is exactly which anymore.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
oh right right, so the truck accessories stay how they are, and the bracket adds an additional belt like a gtp has or does it all run off one belt?

intercooler system- plumbing/resevoir/pump/heat exchanger done?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
ls conversion brackets-LSSimpleV-1 2,3, 7 Vortec Supercharger bracket kit stand alone extension no belt

got it.

intercooler is built into that supercharger you have of course right? so plumbing/pump/reservoir/radiator would be the necessary portions ?

got it.

any need to stay away from DOD engines or no?
intercooler is part of the lid and included. need the front mount hx,pump, reservoir, plumbing. TB , some misc bolts and gaskets, and an LSA fuel rail are all that's left to complete it.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i didn't realize i quoted you up there.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Reaction score
I might be picking up a gen 3 5.3 next week, I'll let you know if I pass on it.

Plus one on the Trans btw, I'd advise snooping around for an 80e while you're at it.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
what's tough is, do i do $1500-2500 worth of engine stuff, a 2-3k in trans stuff bill, and then still have to address the "weak" rear end...

be in 4-8k on a truck worth less than 10k.

or just buy something like this.

Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 Lt 2500 | eBay

6L80e/12 bolt/6.0 and be done for 18k with a leather interior, 4x4 and comfiness.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
Rebuild the 4.8 that's already in there, rebuild transmission or swap to an 80E, and do a JY/Chinese turbo setup on it with mild boost. Depending on what your stock injectors are (EV1, EV6, EV14) buy a set of used takeoff Cobra 39's, LSA, etc injectors for <$150 and throw a Walbro or Aeromotive fuel pump in the back for $100-$150. Let her eat and enjoy the boost in fuel mileage too! It shouldn't be that expensive and if tuned well can run for a long time. If you somehow manage to blow the 4.8 then swap another in or step up to something bigger that will still be dirt cheap. I suggest trying to avoid DoD if possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom