Teach me how to SUV

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Welp, sad to admit but the Cadillac I bought was a shitbox. Mornings would have one long crank. Cadillac mechanic told me it was a fuel pump and wound be $1k to repair PLUS the car was running lean. I sold it but lost some money.

Now, back to square one...

I've been looking at Tahoes, expeditions and Explorers mainly in the 2000's...

Should I be scared of trucks with 150k+? I've found a few with 100k but they want an outrageous amount of money.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Welp, sad to admit but the Cadillac I bought was a shitbox. Mornings would have one long crank. Cadillac mechanic told me it was a fuel pump and wound be $1k to repair PLUS the car was running lean. I sold it but lost some money.

Now, back to square one...

I've been looking at Tahoes, expeditions and Explorers mainly...

Should I be scared of trucks with 150k+? I've found a few with 100k but they want an outrageous amount of money.

how far are you willing to go to buy something, what's your price limit? is 4wd a MUST or can you survive with just 2wd/rwd?

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I'd survive without 4WD, but would like it and am looking in the range of about $4k and willing to drive a good distance if it's worth it.

My parents live in Arizona and I was actually looking for trucks out there and willing to drive it back. Those, however, mostly have 200k + mileage.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd survive without 4WD, but would like it and am looking in the range of about $4k and willing to drive a good distance if it's worth it.

My parents live in Arizona and I was actually looking for trucks out there and willing to drive it back. Those, however, mostly have 200k + mileage.

$4k is going to be tough, imo i'd skip 4wd to get more for your money and go south, driving something back from arizona is going to cost you almost 1/10th of your budget in fuel alone.

that's far.

in my freak-out c-list searches this week, i found that around atlanta-ish is basically a honey pot for nice used gm suvs... don't let the miles bug you and you could snag something for 4k.

flights to ATL are cheap AF and it's a long day drive home but it's doable.

Reactions: 99PONTIACGP

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
im not submitting these... but... MINTY.

$4k is going to be tough, imo i'd skip 4wd to get more for your money and go south, driving something back from arizona is going to cost you almost 1/10th of your budget in fuel alone.

that's far.

in my freak-out c-list searches this week, i found that around atlanta-ish is basically a honey pot for nice used gm suvs... don't let the miles bug you and you could snag something for 4k.

flights to ATL are cheap AF and it's a long day drive home but it's doable.

the ones in the post above seems to be mainly above your budget but im moreover showing what's out there... ill dig some more.

this is how i got my old 2wd sierra... i flew to huntsville alabama with a stack of cash, dude picked me up at the airport, we drove to his house, i boogied home.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
fucccck there's so much minty shit down there.

id ask for a video of it starting from cold, i'd ask for every pic ever, id go down with a cashiers check for 3/4 the agreed on price, or whatever pay type they agree on and a stack of cash to negotiate onsite when you get there if you find something you don't love.

wooood.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

seriously, fuck rust in the midwest.

1579184730258.png

1579184759179.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

seats are likely fucked under the covers but... yeah.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
this would be my front runner for sure, owned since 12k miles, photos have a date on them like ma and pa just took em with their nikon, has a ruger license plate on the front so he likes guns, actually spent the money on good shocks and tires, took the time to take a LOT of pics... this thing was cared for.

1579185050909.png

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I would 100% fly south and drive a truck back. To me at least id prefer cleanliness over miles. Its the rust that will kill the truck around here before anything major mechanically most likely. Rust also costs more to fix and likely a bigger hit to resale, and obviously can also cause mechanical issues. Type of mileage also matters. A 150K truck that gets driven from Schaumburg to Rockford daily on I90 is likely to be in better shape than something that gets driven 10 miles a day, parked on city streets and only has 30K on it. Your paying a premium for miles really. I can't speak for the Fords but Chevy trucks are reliable and cheap to fix. You also should consider other areas. You don't need to drive to the South West to find clean cars. Like KJ said Atlanta area has cheap flights. I've seen them as low as $40 each way. I was also out in Rapid City South Dakota over the summer and was surprised how clean the cars were out there also. Flights not has cheap but you also can get home in a LONG days ride.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Spirit flights are usually $65-120 one way to here fyi

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My dad also has had a 2WD 2003 Tahoe forever. He is fine in the winter. He said if he can't get to work because he does not have 4WD he probably shouldn't be out on the roads anyway.

the times i "needed" 4wd in my suburban were far less than in my current pickup truck, id assume because of the added weight over the ass end a burban has.

and even then, my 2wd truck on it's snow tires was a tank in the snow as i always preach.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Spirit flights are usually $65-120 one way to here fyi
that colors the best also for a dd because it looks the same fucking filthy or just washed. :rofl:

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
My 2wd Silverado was awesome in the snow. We took it to Moab and on the way back they had closed vail pass due to snow. Once it was reopened right back at it while people were flying off in to ditches :rofl:

It’s all about tires and how you drive. Rocking a 2wd vehicle as a winter beater now. Blazer hasn’t seen snow this year.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info