Teach me about boats.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I have pretty much no boating experience haha. I have a couple friends out here with boats so I'm using them to shorten my learning curve a bit.

Prefer trailerable. It'd be too expensive to store it at the lake over winter. Once I put it in the lake, it won't leave until October/ November though.
Prefer power boat over sailboat but either is fine.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
25' is going to be very cramped to live on full time. I wouldn't touch anything less than 30'.

Take a look at what winter storage costs are, docking costs, plan to spend $1000 minimum on maintenance every year if youre DIY, at least double if you're not, realize anything that isn't a sailboat that size gets sub 2mpg. There are a TON of hidden costs. All the stuff you are eating and drinking because boat, driving To/from the lake.

Not to dissuade you but most people's experience with boats is grandpas fishing boat and uncle dicks ski boat you took out twice a summer. Both sat on a trailer in their driveways.

Fuel, docking, and storage alone on my last boat for one season in chicago: $7700

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
25' is going to be very cramped to live on full time. I wouldn't touch anything less than 30'.

Take a look at what winter storage costs are, docking costs, plan to spend $1000 minimum on maintenance every year if youre DIY, at least double if you're not, realize anything that isn't a sailboat that size gets sub 2mpg. There are a TON of hidden costs. All the stuff you are eating and drinking because boat, driving To/from the lake.

Not to dissuade you but most people's experience with boats is grandpas fishing boat and uncle dicks ski boat you took out twice a summer. Both sat on a trailer in their driveways.

Fuel, docking, and storage alone on my last boat for one season in chicago: $7700

However that my equate to conventional living expenses.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

Yeah I did an estimate on the expenses, and I'd say it about costs roughly the same/ a little bit more to live on the boat than if I were to rent a house. Fuel would be expensive but I don't plan on sailing around every day. The only thing is the extra time driving to/from Reno when I do work. I work and travel a lot anyway so I'm not too worried about living spaces, I equate it to a small hotel room with a better view.

Overall it could be an amazing summer experience or a terrible one :rollpicard: But you only live once and it's just for the summer anyway,

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
well sailboats typically if you can live on it, won't be trailerable. so you're probably going to want to cut that from your search.

where are you going to keep it? what are slip costs like there? what are you going to tow it with?

Slips are about 2k for the season which isn't bad. (Way cheaper than renting a room) One of my friends that gave me the idea also works for the local pd and harbor master was actually giving me some intel on where to anchor it offshore and just use my kayak whenever I need to come to shore. So that was something I was considering as well. Everyone I know has a truck and a couple people already agreed to tow it to the lake for me if I do get one.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
so in my brief hunt, closest things i found that would fit the bill for me for what you're looking for would be these.

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/6142912188.html

00b0b_isR28AgMRfn_1200x900.jpg

https://visalia.craigslist.org/boa/6145380770.html
00a0a_gDDf8BC3br1_1200x900.jpg

and just cuz i stumbled across this i have to post it because it's badass, and wouldn't work for your goals whatsoever :rofl:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6142120965.html

00606_1tuSs6jMdMK_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_iX4B2Dr8fNw_1200x900.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
worth mentioning as well, you'll have to make sure whatever marina you wind up in, let's you live there fulltime. some don't.

make sure as well, you are getting power & water as some slips won't have that.

you'll also want to inquire about how your sewage tanks getting emptied- like if you have to do it, or if they come and pump, or what...

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
a few quick articles i read said you can't liveaboard in the marinas... how they regulate that... is probably awfully "california" :rofl:

Basically from what I was told by a buddy of mine (the Harbormaster) he said that as long as I move my anchor every 72 hours, and I leave my navigation light on at night, then I'm within code.

I was also going to outfit the boat with solar panels to power the electronics. The panels that he uses aren't terribly big but they power the fridge and the lights/ microwave etc..

Those pontoon boats are pretty nice though and definitely have some potential. One already has a slip if I go that route.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
No more than a grand. ~300-325 for the panel, 150 for the charge controller, ~200-300 for a battery. I may not need to buy a new battery, and I obviously won't be able to run on solar for extended periods of time but it should give me about 1-2 days max probably worth of power just running the normal electronics, (fridge, microwave, lights, etc..) But as I said, it's sunny 99% of time so they'll have no problem charging as needed and I can always run the boat if for some reason I need extra juice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info