Teach me .357 mag revolvers

Turtle

Reaction score
Never owned/fired one. Well I have with a .38 in it. Some s&w $800ish one

I'm looking to add to my collection for range fun. I'm on a budget for this one, $600 high. But lower the better.

What should I be looking? Recommend or ones to stay away from. Eaa windacator seems to be a popular budget.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=6359]N20GT[/MENTION] [MENTION=7289]IZZy[/MENTION]

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a Ruger GP100 with a 6'' barrel .357. Its a great gun to shoot, quite heavy but easy to use. I paid 580 cash price from GAT guns brand new.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Taurus, but I've been told they make decent .357 revolvers under that price range.

IZZy

Powered by ES
Reaction score
S&W or bust!

586 or 686 can be had for around $500-600

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Taurus, but I've been told they make decent .357 revolvers under that price range.
It's true. I have a Taurus 608 which has a 6 inch barrel and an 8 round capacity. It has a ported barrel which makes recoil / muzzle flip non-existent and came with a nice rubber grip. I have about 1500 rounds through it with no issues.

It's my most fun handgun to shoot and it's very accurate.

.357's are a blast to shoot. They are very loud with a concussion you can feel and big flames shoot out of them. What's not to like!

Turtle

Reaction score
I'll look into the 586/686.

I assume 4 in would be ideal for a range toy or should the 6 be my target

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
If it's a range toy, get the 6.

A bit better accuracy, plus it looks cool AF.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd stick to a ruger or s&w resale will be a lot better if you ever decide to sell, just pick one up and feel it compared to a cheap revolver and you can see where the extra money went

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
I also chose the Ruger GP100 (6 in) over the S&W.

It is personal preference. Check them both out.

bnr32

Reaction score
My friend has an older Colt Python he bought new, and i love it. So saying s&w or bust isn't really true. I have a ruger .357 c.c. pistol that I like, but isn't not the most fun to shoot as a range gun. I use it mostly to carry in the woods

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
My friend has an older Colt Python he bought new, and i love it. So saying s&w or bust isn't really true. I have a ruger .357 c.c. pistol that I like, but isn't not the most fun to shoot as a range gun. I use it mostly to carry in the woods
If you can get a Python for $600 I'm there all day every day.

That said, I love the "K" frame S&Ws and own 2 model 66es with a 2.5" and 3" barrel. They're awesome guns, supposedly you shouldn't feed them a lot of hot 125gr .357 magnum though. The "L" frame (586/686) were built to fix this issue. I'd go with either, and I've picked both of mine up from buddies for $300 or less (being VERY patient and looking for a good deal.) Mods on mine are the trigger return spring was changed.

The GP100s are nice, I have a buddy with one he did some slicking over on. Great shooter, awesome trigger.

If you're looking for something different, another direction I could point you would be a blackhawk. They are an SAA style gun, and can take some real heavy loads depending on which one you get.

I would stay away from a J-frame, especially air weight. Wouldn't be good for a range toy IMO unless you have small hands or something. An all steel one may be okay but not as much so probably.

Lastly, if you do .357 reload. It increases the versatility and decreases the cost. Home cats for me is $4-5 a box. You'll pay a good bit more for even .38 Specials. It's not shooting 9mm, although I've seen the prices go down quite a bit for basic ammo the last year or so.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
I have a Taurus I'm looking to get rid of. It's basically a rip off of the S&W 686 back when Taurus was stealing their design. It's not a bad gun, it feels nice. I want an R8 in the worst way other wise I would keep it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a Taurus I'm looking to get rid of. It's basically a rip off of the S&W 686 back when Taurus was stealing their design. It's not a bad gun, it feels nice. I want an R8 in the worst way other wise I would keep it.
You and I both.

bnr32

Reaction score
If you can get a Python for $600 I'm there all day every day.

That said, I love the "K" frame S&Ws and own 2 model 66es with a 2.5" and 3" barrel. They're awesome guns, supposedly you shouldn't feed them a lot of hot 125gr .357 magnum though. The "L" frame (586/686) were built to fix this issue. I'd go with either, and I've picked both of mine up from buddies for $300 or less (being VERY patient and looking for a good deal.) Mods on mine are the trigger return spring was changed.

The GP100s are nice, I have a buddy with one he did some slicking over on. Great shooter, awesome trigger.

If you're looking for something different, another direction I could point you would be a blackhawk. They are an SAA style gun, and can take some real heavy loads depending on which one you get.

I would stay away from a J-frame, especially air weight. Wouldn't be good for a range toy IMO unless you have small hands or something. An all steel one may be okay but not as much so probably.

Lastly, if you do .357 reload. It increases the versatility and decreases the cost. Home cats for me is $4-5 a box. You'll pay a good bit more for even .38 Specials. It's not shooting 9mm, although I've seen the prices go down quite a bit for basic ammo the last year or so.
just find an old guy who was a Starchy and Hutch nerd and tell him to sell it ;) p.s. i didn't see the 600 dollar budget on the post.

IZZy