TD ben's Twin Engine "nascar" runs low 8s ! shooting for 7s next time

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

7s will take everything the car will give me with the current setup but on great pass it will do it. Bigger wider slicks would make it easier. THe front slicks spin a lot till the 1/8 mile.

we were having front end traction issues with the original 3100. the original harry spun the front nearly the whole track if "gentleman" joe didnt pedal it.

its nice to see my theory's proved out. Wally thought we were nuts that it could have the potential for 7's

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
we were having front end traction issues with the original 3100. the original harry spun the front nearly the whole track if "gentleman" joe didnt pedal it.

its nice to see my theory's proved out. Wally thought we were nuts that it could have the potential for 7's

I"m leaving so much on the table it's not even funny.
I'm at least 400 lbs overweight and with more budget could shed another 400lbs with all aluminum motors, lightweight batteries (X2) no coolant, filled block, water to air etc...

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014

What's the best pass ever for the Hairy Olds ?

I think I have the world record for a twin engine AWD car no ?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
What's the best pass ever for the Hairy Olds ?

I think I have the world record for a twin engine AWD car no ?

it regularly ran low 11's smoking all 4 tires the whole 1320 but the fastest Hairy ever ticked off was 8.20 at 182 (from what ive heard this pass was one of the cars last -2 major wrecks and 2-3 minor incidents with the car in the year it lived before being dismantled permanently after the new york wreck. harry was widely reputed to make 1200hp at each engine, and putting it to the track with 4 9.5" slicks-its entirely possible it was inflated somewhat but the blown olds dragsters running similar setups were fast enough to say they at least pumped out 1k+ each.

tommy ivo had far more luck running "showboat" back before hairy and with the wagon master body well after. -huge ivo fan

major difference being that showboat was able to use differential reaction forces far more controllable.

I don't know if youd be the fastest or the quickest as I believe there's a twin engine Toyota in Oz and several others that would give you a run.

back in 95 there was a twin engine pikes peak car, was two 450hp turbo 4's in a 1800lb car, the twin engine Tiburon ran some nice times but I don't know if that's still campaigned....

Olympic was working on his SHOpaz...hell he's a canukian too iirc

I know there's supposedly a twin engine vw sirocco on the northeast coast, I believe there's a twin engine geo metro here in IL still (last I heard it was getting a 403), I recall that there's a twin engine eclipse around the Midwest as well.

hell ive seen some lunatic build a twin engine 2wd motorcycle!
I read a while back that they are starting to do multiple powerplant builds over in the sandbox...but they have cubic dollars so there's no telling what they've got over there

not many people seem to follow through or get a following so maybe youll draw a few out of the woodwork.

you very well could be top dog with transaxles, but highly unlikely without that distinction from a conventional powertrain with two engines.

we'll try to take ya down a peg when we get around to it :s00ls:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I"m leaving so much on the table it's not even funny.
I'm at least 400 lbs overweight and with more budget could shed another 400lbs with all aluminum motors, lightweight batteries (X2) no coolant, filled block, water to air etc...

yeah no kiddin.

i figured on dropping weight as much as i could but moreso for putting all of it i can in the bottom of the chassis and getting it to hook up better from the line.

im sure youll roll us for a bit. im still a bit away from the final knuckles though i finally have a mockup piece from welded plate for wally to fab with.
measurements show we may be able to stuff more than a 12" slick in front and back so that with the traction bars should help us avoid any loose tire funtime.

if you went ecotec youd be far better off to get a retired GM cavalier chassis and start out with a passenger cabin cert'd for ya

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
That twin engine DSM around here was quick but I don't think it was an 8 second car.

never ran an official time he claimed high 10s but it was an 11 second car on video. Don't know if he ever did a better pass.
I'd be curious to know. It had potential.

a twin engine DSM could be a force to be reckon with. MUCH lighter drivetrain easy 1000WHP potential with automatic for each combo.

I was very close to doing it with two DSM setups but the rarety of the parts scared me away and it's an even older platform.

The Tiburon ran high 10s.
There is a guy who copied my setup a few hours from my shop, he went with two S/C but higher boost and methanol injection. Ran low 11s he claims on street tires.

James, let me doubt that 8.2 if it wasn't on video. You don't go from 11s to low 8s. I could put the shittiest all season radial tire and still hit 9s at this point.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
yeah no kiddin.

i figured on dropping weight as much as i could but moreso for putting all of it i can in the bottom of the chassis and getting it to hook up better from the line.

im sure youll roll us for a bit. im still a bit away from the final knuckles though i finally have a mockup piece from welded plate for wally to fab with.
measurements show we may be able to stuff more than a 12" slick in front and back so that with the traction bars should help us avoid any loose tire funtime.

if you went ecotec youd be far better off to get a retired GM cavalier chassis and start out with a passenger cabin cert'd for ya

People have to remember I never wanted a drag car. I want a car to go around a road course and have some fun at the strip. Now that's it that quick, it will get me in trouble as far as the cage certification is concerned.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
from what i understand the Hairy hurst olds only made 30-odd passes at 8 events in the year it lived it was wrecked twice.

ive only found two video's of the car, one of it smoking the tires and getting squirrely (at the REolds museum) and the one on youtube of it wrecking at newyork

the 8.2 at 182 is from "gentleman" Joe Schubeck (driver) and doc Watson's accounts. the hurst/olds club has a lot of documentation of the hurst exhibition cars.

ive built for two ~400whp sc setups and fully intend to spray the hell out of it
here's hoping it rides like a slingshot

we also intend for it to last a bit longer than old hairy did lol

the dsm stuff is pretty cheap but i don't know about up there...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
People have to remember I never wanted a drag car. I want a car to go around a road course and have some fun at the strip. Now that's it that quick, it will get me in trouble as far as the cage certification is concerned.

tis the reason im going overboard on the knuckles....we'll have no problems as far as suspension goes for either.

your probably not that many tubes off from being legal to 750

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
uploadfromtaptalk1433123831573.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433123838448.jpeg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That's awesome man. And it came at a time when everyone's saying the 3800 is a dead platform. Turns out that, if you're a wizard, there is quite a bit of potential that can be squeezed out yet!

Looking forward to 7 second passes..

The 3800 platform is dead. This isn't a 3800 platform though. I don't think anyone disputes how awesome the engine is for what it is.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Engines have huge potential the transmission attached cant handle the power. So as a combo yeah it's somewhat limited.

Two 4g63t auto would ultimately be quicker if i build two similar cars. And 2 ecotecs as well.

The v6 produce too much torque for a FWD transmission in turbo form

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info