TCG Tour 21 Feedback Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Thanks again everyone for the most part I think the Tour went as planned. My thoughts below...

Positives:

- I think the group really loved the route. I tried to make it as diverse as I could to not offend anyone. We had a little bit of everything.
- The group for the most part stayed together.
- I feel like on this tour we didn't have difficulty passing people. Pervious tours I remember passing in no passing zones and going past 4 cars at once 100+
- Stops and overnights were at great locations for breaks and to end the day.
- Red Wing Holiday Inn was nothing special but it was brand new that year.
- Ashland Best Western had awesome views and staying in a historic/haunted hotel was cool.
- Amenities at both hotels were sufficient for TCG.
- Scenic overlooks were a hit.
- With the exception of some construction traffic. I feel traffic was light even going through towns.
- Dinner at or walking distance from the hotel is always good.
- Weather. A little rain on Friday night but otherwise the weather was great.
- We stuck to the itinerary for the most part.
- Great stops and scenery
- The group left on time (within 15 min) every morning.
- No breakdowns
- No extensive delays
- Most of us in the same hotels
- I didn't attend all the late night shenanigan's but I think everyone had fun.
- GroupME worked out well again when we were not driving. +Memes

Negatives:

- Some lunch and dinner spots didn't go-to plan. I can really only blame poor planning on that.
- Hotels were "expensive". Nothing really I could do about that. Peak summer season after a year of no one traveling or planning events.
- I planned the route and was leading almost the entire time but its not my job to babysit and make sure everyone is together before we leave a stop. I cannot keep track of 20 people.
- Running into cars that would not pull over for us to pass.
- I tried to keep the hikes short but the 5 mile hike to the Sea Caves was a bit much for some.
- Google maps while initially seemed to work well. If you closed it and opened it from anywhere but the start it would re route. It also didnt work if you didnt head exactly over a waypoint.
- Walkie talkies were necessary but didn't work the best at distance or with windows down.
- Groups that broke off for different lunch places near Duluth. (Poor planning)
- I don't think I kept a fast enough pace for this group.
- stolen cheese curds

Next year:

TCG goes International, Lake Superiors circle tour would be awesome. We have always talked about going down to the Dragon. If we can pick a official centralized hotel and have everyone on their own for arrival and departure I think we can make it happen for a 4 day trip. Black Hills of South Dakota isnt much further and has amazing roads. All 3 of these options would better be a 4 day trip because of the initial drive.
The route diversity was very good, and you having first-hand knowledge of some of the areas and roads was a huge benefit. The hotel situation, yeah, that can be aggravating to organize so thank you for doing the leg work on that, along with planning the routes on how to get to them.

The lunch spots, nothing could have been done about that near Duluth, I wouldn't call that poor planning at all. First day worked out great (at Potosi) as planned. Second day needed to call an audible based on a changing situation that we all agreed wouldn't work for us. Third worked out great as well. For dinner, if you're referring to the second night at the hotel, that's not on you, or us. IIRC someone said there was a call placed ahead of time, and we were told we'd be accommodated, then they changed that upon our arrival. We weren't all at the same table, but at least everyone was within food-fight distances.

Running into the slow cars on those single lanes roads did start to get old on the last day. Nothing could be done about it from our side. I feel that some of them were going ridiculously slow with intention, then speeding up in the passing zones. Really hard for just one or two cars to make a pass, let alone 12-15. Risk/reward, a roll of the dice, nothing more. The roads that we didn't encounter traffic, we dominated.

The caves hike was a bit more than "beginner", but not sure everyone would have been able to properly prepare with without their own firsthand knowledge or experience. But the ones on Day 3 were really short and took almost no time at all, so it balanced out nicely in the end, and the views were quite rewarding for the effort.

Google Maps, yeah, WTF? That was quite annoying, and even if you downloaded the maps offline if you had no cell service you couldn't look up the next place (if you didn't keep the route running). That's a shortcoming on Google's behalf. I don't recall it doing that in past years. I used it offline going through Canada and was able to look up places and get navigation with just GPS. They need to be able to make it easier to "ignore" or "skip" a missed way point and have it redirect you to the next one. And do that without having to dig through menus or re-order the list.

Walkie Talkies, that's just the limitation of low-powered FRS radios with tiny antennas. I was massively disappointed in their limited range in remote areas. GMRS would be better, as you can run up to 50w of power (instead of 2w on FRS), but you have to have a license ($70), and the hardware, which is way more expensive than what most people are willing to spend when they're being used 2-3x a year, if that.

As for the "babysitting", I wouldn't look at it that way. Think of it more as a tour guide/host. Possible solution, radio check/roll call before putting cars into gear, especially if there is no cell signal. Everyone gets a number at the start of the tour, call it out sequentially. Would only take a few seconds, so minimal delay, and everyone will know if someone is missing or not ready. Did this in the past and it worked out great when someone sprained their ankle and didn't respond. Everyone knew right away who was missing and who to look for. That was with a group of 25 persons. I'd be happy to bring a couple extra radios/spares in the event someone's stops working or gets lost. No person(s) should get left behind unless they actively choose to deviate, and have let the leader(s) or three other parties know.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
First tour, short version….. every TCGer should do it at least once and was a great time!

Lots of good roads, great convos, fun driving, and just plain fun.
Google maps was a dick and that was annoying when there was no service. Being my first tour I was trying hard to keep track of it all in case I got separated or something and that was a little nerve racking because I’m a weirdo.
The route was full of fantastic roads and sights, just how it should be.
The hiking was great, but the lady couldn’t handle most of them with some heart conditions she has, but I appreciated what we could do and see.
Staying together as a group can be difficult during lunch/gas stops. Maybe next time just do a quick roll call over radio to make sure we got everyone before we take off? Or when we stop say “leaving in 30” so everyone has a time reference to get their shit done?
But basically my only complaints are with myself and my car. I’d be more prepared and do different things next time so I could enjoy it more. Like not having drag radials out back at 20 psi so I don’t feel like I’m floating around corners. Also was babying the trans because of the issues I’ve been having. Don’t think I actually floored the car once the whole trip and maybe only saw 10 psi max.
I look forward to getting ready for the next one.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
First tour, short version….. every TCGer should do it at least once and was a great time!

Google maps was a dick and that was annoying when there was no service. Being my first tour I was trying hard to keep track of it all in case I got separated or something and that was a little nerve racking because I’m a weirdo.
The hiking was great, but the lady couldn’t handle most of them with some heart conditions she has, but I appreciated what we could do and see.
Staying together as a group can be difficult during lunch/gas stops. Maybe next time just do a quick roll call over radio to make sure we got everyone before we take off? Or when we stop say “leaving in 30” so everyone has a time reference to get their shit done?
But basically my only complaints are with myself and my car. I’d be more prepared and do different things next time so I could enjoy it more. Like not having drag radials out back at 20 psi so I don’t feel like I’m floating around corners. Also was babying the trans because of the issues I’ve been having. Don’t think I actually floored the car once the whole trip and maybe only saw 10 psi max.
Your car was rocking. When we hit the on ramp leaving the park in Duluth I heard your boost build and watched the ass step out predictably. Was quite entertaining.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

I with you on the DR’s. I don’t mind having them, but will probably have them aired more appropriately for the corners.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
You guys were fun to drive behind at times, especially if the road was sandy and you had an arm out the window ?.

Also I need more horsepower.

giphy.gif

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
As I have said in the past TCG Tour is the best part of TCG and everyone played a part in making it an amazing weekend that I have missed the last few years.

PANDA PANDA and Lead Pipe Lead Pipe thank you for planning… Great route, great times and as always nice talking to you both.

Mook Mook and Jack Jack thanks for making TCG happen day in and day out.

Nccstud Nccstud Go sleep, I love your Crank… And thanks for bullying the hostess Saturday Night.

utryd2 utryd2 I’ll follow you around on every tour for the rest of time… Don’t listen to the others, the cancer is worth it.

Drago Drago We have established that an LS swapped Turd Gen that you complete right before tour is the way to get Tour MVP because you are the MVP. Thank your Aunt for her hospitality!

DEEZUZ DEEZUZ Great time this weekend, you can ride co pilot anytime, but I recommend installing AC and driving your own car next year as it is much more fun.

IceCreamAssassin IceCreamAssassin I enjoyed the Holden parade we had going for a while… And I am still not sure I understand how your car only sounds like its cammed from the back.

greasy greasy always great to see you and your car is awesome. Give your GF a great birthday! Thanks for stepping up and doing the shirts and the stickers.

And my favorite quotes from the weekend…

At the beginning: “Its only 180 hp so it should be easy to keep up”

At the end: “I don’t think you understand how slow this car is”

And finally, if anyone wants to clean my car, come on over… I’ll even provide the sandy beach towels.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
With qr codes so people can rate us as we pass them at 129mph

I told wifey the story of my car alerting me that I had crossed the 125mph barrier and she goes... Say that again... So I did and then I look over and I knew I should have kept that story to myself. :ROFLMAO:

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think I need more grip first, through those twisties on day 3 I could feel the weight of the car pushing on my tires... That became borderline disconcerting. :eek:

There was one point in the twisties where I was about to go full throttle, but the road was starting to get bumpy and then a half second later the car probably got air. The suspension completely unloaded :oops: Had I been in the throttle, we would have been in the forest!

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
There was one point in the twisties where I was about to go full throttle, but the road was starting to get bumpy and then a half second later the car probably got air. The suspension completely unloaded :oops: Had I been in the throttle, we would have been in the forest!

For sure! I hit that and went "oh fuck...a goddamn boat is following me". There was no chance of getting to my radio fast enough to let you know either

• Haha
Reactions: EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

I figured out how your rear tires don't rub. You have about 2" of up and down travel so I could see that happening.

Speaking of bumps. I think PANDA PANDA was fucking with us. He brings a stock suspension 5 series on 16" tires and sends us down all these bumpy roads, a gravel road, and then off roads it after tour. :ROFLMAO:

Thread Info