TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Went up to Rhinelander this weekend to help the Hodag Snowmobile Club in some preseason trail prep work. We worked on a section of a trail that had a ton of downed trees south east of Rhinelander near Pelican Lake. I couldnt believe all the trees down in the area but a F0 tornado did go through Pelican Lake/Elcho in July. We brushed/cleared a few mile section of trail in about 4 hours. But probably would have took days if we didn't have the tractor to help. I try to participate in all the work days I can but this weekend was a new appreciation on how much work goes into getting trails ready for people to ride. We also need more younger people involved in snowmobile clubs. The regulars that participate in work days are well.....old. I did most of the back breaking work in my group while the older guys worked the chain saws. This is going to be a rough start to the season with all the downed trees and water.

20191019_100039.jpeg
20191019_102605.jpeg
FB_IMG_1571519813359.jpeg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Been meaning to head up one of these days/years and do some trail work.

Side note from johndee :run:

NEWS & EVENTS
October 16, 2019- I plan to be releasing my seasonal outlook next week. I have been very busy trying to get the BarnDeeMinimum suitable for living in before the weather turns to crappy and we all go crazy from living in the camper too long! Hang in there!

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Aaaaaaaand another outlook released today. Still waiting on JD's.

• Plenty of potential for a severe winter.
  • East will have to overcome early warmth.
  • SST analogs are amazingly close to a blend of 2013-14 and 2014-15.
  • Warm northeastern Pacific and cooler Nino1+2 usually a great cold signal.
  • Snowfall should be generous.

View attachment 44542
The Verdict

The conditions in the oceans around the U.S. are ripe for major arctic outbreaks, but the early season, as has been the habit of late, is likely to start warm in the East. The worst-case scenario is a brutally cold old-fashioned winter. Precipitation should be plentiful again in the East given, the natural fight between the cold air to the west and the warm oceans to the east.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Where at? I have a 2003 Yamaha Kodak with some aggressive tires that’d work well off road in the snow. I believe they’re Executioners, can’t recall the exact style.
Pretty much all over WI. There are actually more winter ATV trails than summer. Kettle Moraine has a winter only trail, Douglas and Iron Co. have a ton of winter trails too and the tri-county trails in Monroe are open all year.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Pretty much all over WI. There are actually more winter ATV trails than summer. Kettle Moraine has a winter only trail, Douglas and Iron Co. have a ton of winter trails too and the tri-county trails in Monroe are open all year.
Any stickers or trail passes required like with sleds? What’s nice for me is I can just load the Kodiak in the back of my truck and go.

Also, any recommendations on websites or apps for the trails? I’ve been wanting to go for a few years now. Instead I tote the ATV back and forth to my dads in southeastern Kentucky and ride the fire trails in the mountains. Down there you can go for miles without seeing anyone or even crossing a road. Low gear with locking diffs is a must in some places.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Any stickers or trail passes required like with sleds? What’s nice for me is I can just load the Kodiak in the back of my truck and go.

Also, any recommendations on websites or apps for the trails? I’ve been wanting to go for a few years now. Instead I tote the ATV back and forth to my dads in southeastern Kentucky and ride the fire trails in the mountains. Down there you can go for miles without seeing anyone or even crossing a road. Low gear with locking diffs is a must in some places.
You would need a non-resident trail sticker. You can get them at any Walmart around the trials or online. They are good for a year, I think till March.

The problem is every County has a website. Here's a couple.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thread Info