TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Are crossover/mountain sleds contributing to the closure of trails? MAYBE. I only say that because the people that buy those sleds have interest in riding deep(er) snow such as found off trail. But at the same time snowmobiles are evolving to have longer and longer tracks. So you can't really blame the snowmobile you can only blame the owner for not staying on the trails. Its like blaming a gun for murder.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Are crossover/mountain sleds contributing to the closure of trails? MAYBE. I only say that because the people that buy those sleds have interest in riding deep(er) snow such as found off trail. But at the same time snowmobiles are evolving to have longer and longer tracks. So you can't really blame the snowmobile you can only blame the owner for not staying on the trails. Its like blaming a gun for murder.

Agree... but this is more specific in the WI trail system than say, MI or other western riding locations.

The UP allows for off trail on public land and generally does have places where its viable to ride off trail... do you agree [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION]?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Agree... but this is more specific in the WI trail system than say, MI or other western riding locations.

The UP allows for off trail on public land and generally does have places where its viable to ride off trail... do you agree [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION]?

Trails get closed everywhere because people don't stay on them. Wisconsin has off trail locations also. I hear they are in Iron County but I don't know where they are. Just like I don't know where all the off-trail locations are in the UP. I feel that is part of the problem. People think the UP is a giant off trail playground and just ride wherever they see tracks.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
But that’s what I’m saying. The sport is clearly evolving but the trail system/DNR who run the whole fucking thing are not. As well as sending mixed signals where DNR official says “no offtrail” and the cops enforcing it say “come out to the pow, it’s a riot” and support it.

And I’m also not disagreeing with anything you guys have said either. There is an issue with retards thinking if there’s tracks, it’s free reign.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
But that’s what I’m saying. The sport is clearly evolving but the trail system/DNR who run the whole fucking thing are not. As well as sending mixed signals where DNR official says “no offtrail” and the cops enforcing it say “come out to the pow, it’s a riot” and support it.

And I’m also not disagreeing with anything you guys have said either. There is an issue with retards thinking if there’s tracks, it’s free reign.

Maps showing legal off-trail locations would be cool but it also brings up a legality. I am not a lawyer so don't quote me but I believe clubs/DNR/state have some liability in regards to safety on the trails. Everyone now is sue happy, who they going to go after if Steve crashes into a stump with his Midwest mountain sled, and gets killed? Probably the individual/group who said it was safe to ride in that area. Yes you ride everywhere at your own risk. But not really...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The season is officially over. I'd say it was rather successful... Although I did have my first ever "accident" with a good amount of damage. That actually reminds me that I need to bring in my sled to have the repairs finished....

Anyway.... I got a call last Wednesday, telling me that my "backwoods" crew was going on a final trip in the Yoop. So what do I do? I scoured the interwebs for a Summit that I could buy to take on the trip for the weekend. I found a sweet deal on a slightly used 2019 Summit SP 850 154” 2.5 lug with shot, that had only 352mi. It's already got the belly pan and a mountain can on it too...

My trail crew all got a small taste of playing off trail this year and ALL sold their trail sled(s) to order/acquire long track cross over sleds. Of course I needed to go one step further and go to a full "mountain sled" - as [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] would say.

I can't believe how much fun this sled is! It's going to be a complete riot in the powder. The snow conditions this weekend were pretty crappy - hard as rock in the morning, only softening up in the afternoons. So I really didn't get the full effect... But the torque and snappiness the 850 has geared for the longer tracks is just crazy. Wheelies for DAYS! The amount of traction on hill climbs is nuts. The way it will jump into the air and still be easy to guide (thanks to the T-motion) is almost hard to get used to... And awesome all at the same time.

The first time I yanked over the handle bars with the same force I use on my BCX resulted in me tipping completely over and off the sled... While stationary. [emoji1787]

Anyway... Here's a few pics.
047b2e1e937138e171ef07fa47d86564.jpg

dd315a4179567f799ba88ed51e886db9.jpg

00d719a0907391e98429d98388ea1bd8.jpg

8c6b7401e13b69471de5925b54e5e420.jpg

3c3b9a5a44532736c5a74e84561f06b6.jpg

655d69c9e457e0b44ba753e9291f6008.jpg

1d567c4ee5248fbfcc69b5615746bbcd.jpg

44992049827925cbf9c8f3055dc32589.jpg

dbe324471671ffdbfbaa17d727bf59dd.jpg

Thread Info