TCG Snowmobiling Discussion

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
BdLchBi.png

this map hasn't looked this solid in quite a few years.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I think whats awesome is that you could ride from Northern IL to the UP at some times this season and really could choose from more than a few routes. Id love to-do that. Even a short weekend "backpacking" trip. My neighbor and I talked about leaving from his farm just east of Westfield and doing a overnight in Rhinelander and coming back over a weekend. Never got around to it.

Sadly sounds like warmer weather is coming mid March.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
In most cases more snow does not equal better trails. Right now dare I say the northwoods has too much snow?

Clubs are still trying to clean up the trails after this storm. Many trees down and drifting is a major problem. Non-tracked groomers unable to operate and other groomers going out without the drag just to pack down the trails before they can groom. Heard many reports of groomers and sleds being stuck. Should be back to normal by the weekend but sounds like trails were a disaster after the last storm.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

If you have a midwest mountain sled and enjoy powder off trail riding in the UP its one thing. But It does not take much to have excellent smooth trails if you have a good base. A solid 8-12 inches can be amazing. Bigger snow = bigger bumps. Thats why places like the Keweenaw can groom 24/7 with the best equipment and you can still be riding home at the end of the day blasting 2ft moguls. I have been in the northwoods nearly every weekend this month and let me tell you its not all fun and games. They got a ton of snow and nowhere to put it. Not to mention most northwoods towns are not equipped to handle snow like this. They got almost an entire season of snow in the month of February. The towns of Eagle River and Rhinelander declared an emergency. Roofs are collapsing, people are getting stranded. Lets not forget when all this melts and everything is flooded and ATV season opening is delayed. Snowmobile riders probably think its great but think about all the local people that actually volunteer to maintain the trails. Can't wait to see how much time was logged for this season and submitted to the state. Like I said, sleds getting stuck, groomers getting stuck, many trees down. Clubs are having a hard time keeping up with it all. Signs covered, road crossings extremely hazards. Then you got all these fucktards that have to ride off trail because all the snow on the trail isn't enough for them and trails are being closed because of it. I am disgusted with all the tracks I see off trail on private property lately. So much snow in so little time. I'm not mad or anything but it doesn't take this much to have amazing trails.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Panda brings up a good point about the whole offtrail and not going where you're supposed to that I read earlier this week and someone had a very astute response to it. Was on Dootalk/HCS.

Are crossover sleds (owners) actually ruining trails/access and possibly the sport?

Best response and the first sentence is all you really need to know but I'll include the whole post including mixed signals by the people supposedly in charge of the fucking MIDNR:

Like anything else the sport is evolving. But no one is supporting the evolving of the sport, instead they demonize it.

Are the manufacturers working with The Snowmobile Association, Clubs or DNR's help consumers use these off-trail sleds in our states? No probably not. You think they would to ensure future sales of their product in Midwest an East Coast. If we cant ride them why buy them.

There is thousands of posts asking on Facebook asking where it is legal to off trail in Michigan. There is only a handful of answers to that question.
#1 We dont give our spots out.
#2 State/Forest land.
#3 Get VVmapping it will show you.
#4 Off-Trail riding is illegal in Michigan. Quoting "DNR'

With VVmapping it does show you State/forest land. But it isnt 100% accurate, You can easily trespass on to private property. It will show you that your in a Green zone but will have houses or cabins in that area. An it doesnt show you the wilderness areas, tree nursing areas or bald eagle Nesting area. The National Forest pages provides little info of where you canan cant go in those areas only up to a certain date an call them zones. But doesnt provide a map with these zones.

Why would the DNR post miss info? This is a false statement I cannot find a law or rule verifying this.
FB_IMG_15468182785251.jpg

Then you have the Sheriffs Department posting this

edited-image.png
Screenshot_20190126-235013_Facebook1.jpg

You have the Sheriff promoting

Off-Trail an the DNR calling it Illegal :blink::dunno:

So my point is why is it difficult to help the sport. Why isnt the Clubs, Snowmobile Associations an DNRs embracing the change. Why cant they incorporate Off-Trail areas on the trail maps showing were they can ride an be legal. They already have the plot lines an zones, just need more ink on the map.
Instead, it is being kept a gray area an no one wants to address it. All anyone wants to do is point fingers an say you cant do that or tell them they should know. Well that isnt working out so well now is it. I believe these maps would help the issue more so then pointing fingers an bitching on social media.

Just my thoughts.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
What is getting trails closed is the retards that want to ride the "powder" alongside a trail, want to cut corners, etc. You see it all the time.. Rather than riding on the trail along the edge of a farm field some people blast right across. Trails are getting closed because people are not staying ON the trail. Take Rhinelander for example because I ride there alot. A trail runs along the powerlines. Rather than staying ON the trail seems alot of people this season want to play in the powder alongside it. Zig zagging and riding wherever they please. Now the average person probably would think this is county/state land or even owned by the power company it is not. The power company has a easement (just like the snowmobile club) to run the powerlines through someones property. Any one of those property owners could close the trail of they are unhappy about people not staying on the trail. Years ago very nice trail was closed that was a vital route to get outside of town easily. The club setup a reroute that pretty much ran alongside a road. That trail was closed after a year because sleds were riding on cemetery property that was along the trail despite no trespassing signs all over. If people don't stay on the trails we all will be riding alongside roads in the future.

While it is also trespassing trails are not being closed because some bros rode a fire road deep into the woods to farmer bobs property that has a sick hill they can climb. While they can be ticketed (unlikely) farmer bob does not have a trail going through his property so its not like he can revoke the clubs easement at any time.

Thread Info