đź’¬ OT TCG Musicians, or Guitar gear junkies?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Soo much good stuff!! I tend to buy stuff and never sell except for old parlor guitars. Other than that I’ve had the same guitars for the past 6 or so years. I’ll have to post them up.

I’ve had the same couple Carvin amps since the 90’s except for an orange micro terror that I picked up a few years back and have attached to some scrap wood I made into a pedalboard.

mics I have are some mxr ribbon mic I found at a garage sale for $10 and a couple SM57’s.

man that first picture with the blonde Stella I’m a sucker for those old parlors. Ive bought and sold way too many of them To list. Those cheap parlors changed the way play and looked at music. Good stuff!

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I’m about the same with guitars. It’s so hard to find good ones that I don’t rotate them much . Last guitar I bought was in 2003, my Martin. Had my tele since 1996

46D485E9-4387-4884-8039-29D73D301584.jpeg

8ADEF9A3-0D17-4B4E-BB41-657BDF2F287C.jpeg

C39E41C1-EB67-4625-A24E-ECE9D071A86B.jpeg

A6008E3A-DF1E-4A54-8DEA-555EAA6D21F2.jpeg

E8766CA6-78D5-4E7C-AA6F-17B3B516971E.jpeg

C66B42F6-08D2-4FE0-9C1D-D175799E3D69.jpeg

7418A56B-A73B-4D76-9621-3D87668FC207.jpeg

EC8C9B84-0578-4F17-84DA-F072AACB0417.jpeg

9C4E80DF-0284-4ED8-B2D7-AA1A97627635.jpeg

34B3C6B0-3C7A-4A31-870E-2226869670D0.jpeg

D114B1EB-FBB1-4597-96FA-A62F16055562.jpeg

57DC2256-8E52-4DDE-B851-F3F01F91EC35.jpeg

3E8681B7-DF61-4A65-9059-464C51203950.jpeg

73892C7A-B742-4FB4-BE43-E88663E3562D.jpeg

1C0580EA-E253-4880-8709-EF5993F89C1F.jpeg

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I found that Stella in the garbage believe it or not.
I believe it! I've gotten several old parlors for the cost of shipping. Usually they just need really basic stuff to play again. I've fixed several of them and resold them and or given them away.

Get an AKG c414 or an AT4050. With the SM57 you already have you’ll be covered on mics. Both are at least good on everything and great on some

yeah the AT4050 is one I've been looking at but ill take a peek at the c414 too.

Good stuff! love that Tele. it is very hard to find guitars that are really good. I can go to a Guitar store and play all of them but none of them are just right but damn when I find one that is good I end up with it one way or another.

The one Guitar that I'd save from a fire would be my Bass. its a 1986 Fender MIJ Medium scale p-bass. I bought on a whim one day back in 96 or so being told it was rare. After looking into it I found out it was super rare. Fender Japan made the bass and only made a handfull of them in 85-86 and the vast majority of them were Squire branded ones. The Fender branded ones were only for sale as once off orders only for the Japan Market. funny because it looks just like a standard Fender Precision but slightly off because they scaled the body, pickguard, headsock, to match the scale length so the pickups and tuners look unusually large.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Both the AKG or the AT are good. Get whatever is the best deal for you. If you buy a “broken” AT4050, AT will factory refurbish (new element and circuit board) for $225.

the AT is slightly darker and has more rejection, the AKG is just on the other side of neutral, and sensitive.

another good choice is a Shure KSM32, but doesn’t give you pattern selection. The Shure KSM44 gives you the pattern selection, but it’s more of a dedicated vocal mic, and a lot brighter.

seriously pick my brain on this stuff before you consider the gear. I’ve tried a lot of stuff!

but (sorry) don’t forget to treat your room!

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I've been waffling on picking up a V-drum set. Been looking at the Roland TD-17KVX. As much as I'd love to have kept my dad's Yamaha Stage Custom, it's just too noisy for me and now having a kid but I want to play and constantly am air drumming all day. :rofl: That setup and a nice pair of headphones and I'll play all day if I want to.
Do it. I really regret selling my kit. I’m in line for a promotion at work...already got the green light to buy a new set of it happens

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I've been in music since grade school, still have my original saxophone collecting dust in the closet, I had a few different brass and wind instruments till high school where I switched to bass guitars. I used to have quite a few bass guitars and amp collections but when my band broke up I made an emotional decision to be done with all of it and sold all my gear. Some of the stuff I remember was a fender p bass, a fret less Ibanez and a 5 string Ibanez as well as a few others I can't remember. I had a number of small amps for practice and my giant 6 ft cabinet with a 1000 watt head unit for gigs. I was never a gear junky I picked up gear as I needed it, I was tired of lugging my practice amps to and from where our band practiced so I bought one to store there, kept one at home and only used the monstrosity for actual gigs. The guitars were so I could get different sounds and play different styles, the band I was in was a mix of heavy metal and punk. I also side giggd with a few jazz style bands so different styles were needed.

A few years ago I bought a SDGR Ibanez just to have something to play around with and it's collected more dust than I care to admit. It's still sitting next to my desk as I type this.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I've been waffling on picking up a V-drum set. Been looking at the Roland TD-17KVX. As much as I'd love to have kept my dad's Yamaha Stage Custom, it's just too noisy for me now having a kid but I want to play and am constantly air drumming all day. :rofl: That setup and a nice pair of headphones and I'll play all god damn day.

I tried to go headphone amps for my wife’s and the pets sanity for the guitar and bass but I just can’t do it. It doesn’t feel right without moving air when I hit a note. Lately I lug my pedalboard and a small cab into a bedroom or the garage.

You may want to get a small pa or keyboard amp for the v drum kit so you can control the volume and still have that satisfying feeling of moving air on those occasions when you can get some volume.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I got a cheap sat/sub computer combo for my drums to practice with. Although I used my DAW to monitor it more...I didn’t like the v drum samples as much as ezdrummer.

Im getting better, but I’m a pretty sloppy drummer. I’ll get a take that’s pretty close, then quantanize, then remove all the errant hits. Love playing them, but definitely more of a guitar player!

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
a few pictures of my junk.. testing out a used lense that I bought in a lot of like 10 years ago.

One of a few amps I currently have. Dusting this one off as I may sell it. Its a VOX Brian May Recording AMP. I rarely ever use it.

PCP_5496.jpg

Alvarez 12 fret Parlor. It was an instrument only sold at Guitar Centers. I traded a 70's Guild Dreadnought and $500 for this some years back. I love the small size and sound you get from a full scale 12 fret acoustic and has some Martin 12's on it.
PCP_5506.jpg

Godin 5th Avenue Archtop. I bought this at a garage sale about 8 or so years back. I didn't like it at first as they all come with thin gauge round wound strings and acoustically it has no volume and electric is just sounded strange. I then put some 13ga Flatwounds on it and love it!
PCP_5514.jpg

My #1. Had it since I bought it new in 1994. Epiphone Les Paul Its been through a lot. It used to be bright blue and over the years has faded to greenish. It has some seymour duncan pickups on it of some kind. Yes one is backwards. When I installed the pickups years ago I didn't know what direction to install them so I looked at the cover of Guitar world and copied Slashes pickups. Little did I know his are installed backwards too.. lol. Also one of the tuners took a hit at a gig. I didn't have money to fix it but I had a welder and a washer. I removed the tuner and a quick Zap and done! one rigged up tuner. Its been the same ever since. also I always take the pickguards off and rarely ever put the truss rod cover back on on most of my guitars.
PCP_5520.jpg

Last one for now.. My current home pedal board. I used to keep the pedals all loose at home but a couple years back I started to buy more pedals and experiment and decided to rig up a board. Its just scrap pieces of wood all haphazardly screwed together. Usually I don't have the old Line6 Uber Metal pedal on there but added it back to show the Nephew the different sounds from pedals. I also have a 90's Wah pedal, DOD Vibro Thang, a BBE Fuzz, and a DOD Classic Fuzz that occasionally make their way onto the board. Top left is an Orange Micro Terror amp. I took the top and feet off and velcro it right to the board. Then took the handle form the top and installed it on the remaining case to protect the tube a bit and had to hand write the labels back on. I really like having a mini amp on the board directly. Just plug in a Speaker and play.
PCP_5495.jpg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Some nice stuff. My oldest is in band playing the flute, but has branched out to the guitar and started doing drums on an electric set we got her for christmas. Which then transfered to band since they dont have many percussion players so she did 2 flute songs and a percussion on the last at the last concert they played in.

Ive always wanted to try guitar but looking at my daughters sheet music, and watching her still kinda struggle with the guitar, I dont know if I can do a damn thing besides sound like an idiot. LOL.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
So I bought an Orange Tiny terror amp years ago and mounted it to my pedalboard by taking the feet off it. since then I removed the top off it to be lower profile. Orange just released the exact setup I've wanted for years. Basically a Tiny terror black in pedal form with an FX loop and cab sim to play with headphones or output to a board.

Time to sell an amp and get this anyone interested in a Brian May Signature Vox Recording Amp? It is really good at recording a very good Brian May of Queen tone.

Picture of the amp.
Info on it:

These are rare and usually sell on Reverb for around $250-$300. I'll sell it on TCG for $220. it works great and is in good shape except for the bright white covering has yellowed over the years. If not it will be on Reverb next week. Its just never been my kind of sound.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
more show and tell..

my Key based stuff. A cheap old MAudio Electric Piano. bought this at a garage sale when I bought my house. It doesn't get much use these days because in 2010 I got an old Spinet upright piano for free that I will not post a picture of because its covered is stuff... lol. On the right is a Roland JX-305 Groovesynth. This this thing is soo Damn much fun to play with. It has a ton of Synth sounds and all the Roland classic drum machine sounds and a sequencer all built in. Its strange but its considered a vintage Synth at this point.

PCP_5525.jpg

couple more amps. On the Left is an ancient Carvin Solid state amp from the mid 80's. I bought it for $100 forever ago and they are worth less than that now.. lol. It has a great super clean sound with tons of reverb and is great with Fuzz pedals for the super hard square tone electronic sound. Terrible everywhere else.. lol. The amp on the right is a 90's Carvin ProBass 150. 10" speaker and 150watts A/B amp power and this thing with an Extension cab is a beast. The Cab above them that is cutoff is an old Carvin British series guitar speaker in a terrible car stereo cabinet.. lol. someday I'll build or buy a decent cab for it but I tend to use that with the Tiny Terror that is on the Pedalboard.

PCP_5531.jpg

My stuff is tucked all over the house. the wife and I are paying off bills and later this year will be getting a house and will have a space for me to setup a Music recording room and a space for my Kimbal Grand piano that is still at my parents house. I started off playing Classical piano and that was the piano I played for many years. I can't wait!

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
So one of my employees said he has an Ibanez guitar in his closet and wanted me to look it over to be sure it was ok because he was thinking of selling it. He said he stared to learn how to play years ago but lost interest. The guitar was given to him from his mom. I said bring it on into work and figured it was some cheap beginner instrument. Well he brought it in today and It was no run of the mill fucking Ibanez. It is a mint condition Steve Vai Ibanez JEM777VDY from the late 80’s and this fucker is signed by Steve Vai. Inside the case was a picture of the guitar with Steve Vai and his mom along with all then original tags and all. He didnt even know there was a compartment in the case. LOL. Turns out his mom handled logistics for Steve Vai back whe he started to get big then and was given the guitar as a present. I told him it’s worth probably $2000 or more as it’s definitely very early model JEM and signed with a photo and has the history to back it up. Crazy lucky he didn’t sell to for a couple hundred bucks.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I don't play guitar. Found this one when one of the guys moved out from my rental house last year. Not sure if its worth anything

View attachment 50423

View attachment 50424

View attachment 50425

looks like a mid 70’s Harmony acoustic. if the neck is straight and is playable with no issues it may be worth $300 or so. Harmony guitars were sold in department stores and sears catalogs back in the day so they don’t fetch much.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
During the “lawsuit” era, guitars from Japan were of decent quality with decent wood. Nothing exceptional, but decent. As the 80’s started they were big time junk from overseas. Last couple of years lawsuit era guitars have picked up in value.

Lawsuit guitars were Japan copies of big name brands...kind of like China now. Mid to late 70’s until courts ended it. Some lawsuit companies (like Ibanez) survived and went on to make their own designs.

I had a lawsuit telecaster copy in high school. Was actually a pretty good instrument, and back when I bought it they could still be had for peanuts

Thread Info