• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Issue with Axle and Differential on BMW E39 Wagon

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Ok gents this is a short post as I am on my phone. Picked up a total jelopy bmw e39 wagon. But it’s rare and a project car I wanted to save. Anyhow , kid I bought it from said diff was welded . I was like why would any one do that. But it drove like absolute shit unless In straight line so figured he was correct. Just took it down what a pain had to lower subframe to get to bolts. Also took half the rear suspension apart as I will be replacing . I don’t do much axel/diff work but when I pulled axels drivers side seems like it’s in pieces. I am assuming this is toast and need new one? I’m sure the answer will be you have gone this far just replace .

D0A057BE-B15B-499F-B6D4-651F1A9DBD46.jpeg

2A5366AA-B30D-4696-828A-44D76AB5FF61.jpeg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Welded would be done for open differential that’s stock, by welding it would makes it cheap way for a posi style differential.

And that axel look gone, time for new ones.
I sort of get the why. But it drove absolutely like horseshit. Barely driveable when turning. Maybe he wanted to make it a drift car ?

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
At least the welds look nice :rofl:

I've had those BMW axles come apart like that. The bolts that go through the axle housing and into the diff hold the entire assembly together. As long as the boot isn't ripped, slap it back together and send it.
bikrboy128 bikrboy128 Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc just high temp silicon seal for putting cover on ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info