• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical TCG Know-it-all’s step in. 2.3 Duratec Valve Tick.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
My 2003 Ranger has a very annoying ticking noise. Sounds like top end to me. More noticeable around 2500 RPM especially on coast or decel.

2003 MY
2.3 Duratec DOHC
76,000 miles

Has anyone dealt with this in the past? From what I’m reading it’s a solid lifter engine that would require shims. Also read something about flapper valves in intake and timing chain guides. Ranger Facebook group is useless. One guy told me to replace the lifters because it worked on his 1988 V6 ranger, another said motor honey.

K

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah if I recall on those the tappets our machine to varying thicknesses and they mix and match them to get the proper clearances. I'm going to guess some are worn out more than others and you're going to replace a bunch of s*** or live with a tick

I’ll probably end up pulling valve cover and measuring clearance on them. If there’s any obviously out I’ll probably try and shim or replace. I’m too fucking anal to live with a tick.

Truck is too nice and has no miles, I plan on driving it for the summer at minimum and when I go to sell it someone will probably notice the tick and I’ll be listing it at a premium.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Nevermind. Found it. The small line between the intake runners. As soon as I pulled it the noise stopped. Plugged it back in and it stayed silent. Shut truck off and restarted and noise back.

So that’s the problem. What is the remedy? Can that just be capped and send it or what?

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Found an awesome write up on ranger forum.

Truck has the failure prone IMRC manifold. There’s individual butterfly valves in the runners and one of them must have loosened or failed. Looks like the fix is to replace the intake. Most of the info I see states they fail right around every 80k, so that’s spot on.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Nevermind. Found it. The small line between the intake runners. As soon as I pulled it the noise stopped. Plugged it back in and it stayed silent. Shut truck off and restarted and noise back.

So that’s the problem. What is the remedy? Can that just be capped and send it or what?

Sorry was in the garage last night and didn't see your reply. Yeah, those intake flaps crap out on pretty much anything from that era: Ford, Nissan, Toyota, etc. When you pull the intake take a peek at the flaps and see if anything broke off and potentially made it further down the line. It for sure needs to be replaced. Hillbilly option is delete it from the existing intake but that requires a lot of epoxy lol.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Sorry was in the garage last night and didn't see your reply. Yeah, those intake flaps crap out on pretty much anything from that era: Ford, Nissan, Toyota, etc. When you pull the intake take a peek at the flaps and see if anything broke off and potentially made it further down the line. It for sure needs to be replaced. Hillbilly option is delete it from the existing intake but that requires a lot of epoxy lol.

I’m definitely going to replace the intake.

Can I run it unplugged for the time being and just get a vacuum cap and a golf tee? I’d assume it’s better to have it hung open than clattering around like that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info