TCG, help me buy a home audio/video tv receiver!

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
The setup in my den/family room is a wall mounted TV, cords going through the wall, dropping down 5 feet and out the front of the wall into the back of my entertainment center. My TV only has 2 HDMI outputs.

I have a PS4, PS3, DVR box, google chromecast and Laptop that I use almost daily.. problem is, I am always switching out cables to run the other items. Every since putting my entertainment center in, its very hard to access these cables on a daily basis.

I am looking at a receiver that has at least 4 to 5 HDMI slots so I can just hit an input and change to that device. Still up in the air if I'm going to do surround sound... may just do a nice sound bar.

So i ask, without getting stupid expensive, what is a nice receiver to run all my items and looks decent :rofl:

Thanks in advance :nutz:

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Dont get me wrong, 5.1 is still "the standard" for most everything. Just saying to futureproof yourself if youre gonna invest in a nice receiver.

Mine is a 7.1 but when I moved into my new place, I went back to 5.1 b/c of how my living room is laid out.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
7.1 is used in bluray, ps3, ps4, xbox one (maybe 360?), PC output, home theater pc setups, etc etc.

For the average consumer, 5.1 is just fine....but 7.1 is definitely not overkill anymore. The only reason, imo, 5.1 is still the standard is b/c cable companies still use it as the norm.

I wouldnt say 7.1 sounds THAT much better than 5.1 tho. Its just some extra ambient shit. Having something beyond 5.1 would be good tho if you want to run dual subs, which I eventually plan on doing. I dunno if 5.1 units have dual sub outputs. I havent looked in a long time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
post-18879-Jon-Hamm-Yeah-Ok-gif-1dnC.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
7.1 is used in bluray, ps3, ps4, xbox one (maybe 360?), PC output, home theater pc setups, etc etc.

For the average consumer, 5.1 is just fine....but 7.1 is definitely not overkill anymore. The only reason, imo, 5.1 is still the standard is b/c cable companies still use it as the norm.

I wouldnt say 7.1 sounds THAT much better than 5.1 tho. Its just some extra ambient shit. Having something beyond 5.1 would be good tho if you want to run dual subs, which I eventually plan on doing. I dunno if 5.1 units have dual sub outputs. I havent looked in a long time.

for me, i won't go 7.1 until i have a straight up dedicated movie theater setup basically.

for now my logitech z5500 (which I think [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] had at one point too) will just keep on thump thump thumpin' :rofl:

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
for me, i won't go 7.1 until i have a straight up dedicated movie theater setup basically.

for now my logitech z5500 (which I think [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] had at one point too) will just keep on thump thump thumpin' :rofl:

That's what i was thinking about using in the corners of my walls :rofl:

they arent that "Attractive" though to be used in a family room by todays standards (in my opinion) I honesty just think Ill do a nice sound bar until I buy my next place, move soundbar into the bedroom :trollface: then buy a nice 7.2 setup for the main room / and/or basement entertainment area

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
mine is in the closet collecting dust :wtc:

I dont game like I used to.. hell my PC speaker output it through the stock shitty speaker built into the samsung monitor :bowrofl:... and this is right after i just built a sweet gaming rig.

:jg:

i have the fiber optic out on my tv going right into the "receiver" on the logitech dealio and it works well.

maybe for the time being just get a hdmi "switch"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info