TCG, help me buy a home audio/video tv receiver!

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
The setup in my den/family room is a wall mounted TV, cords going through the wall, dropping down 5 feet and out the front of the wall into the back of my entertainment center. My TV only has 2 HDMI outputs.

I have a PS4, PS3, DVR box, google chromecast and Laptop that I use almost daily.. problem is, I am always switching out cables to run the other items. Every since putting my entertainment center in, its very hard to access these cables on a daily basis.

I am looking at a receiver that has at least 4 to 5 HDMI slots so I can just hit an input and change to that device. Still up in the air if I'm going to do surround sound... may just do a nice sound bar.

So i ask, without getting stupid expensive, what is a nice receiver to run all my items and looks decent :rofl:

Thanks in advance :nutz:

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Didnt you make this same thread a month ago? :rofl:

OP
syP

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
did i? :rofl:

i guess this time im looking for DEFINITIVE ANSWERs

"you there, buy this! here is the link"

^^^ kind of thing.

CuzzinOlaf

Hero of the stupid!!
Reaction score

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Its 2014...I would suggest at least getting a 7.1 unit even if youre only gonna use 5.1. Dont handicap yourself unless you're just buying something to tide you over for now.

TonzKnock-G

Donating Member
Reaction score
Its 2014...I would suggest at least getting a 7.1 unit even if youre only gonna use 5.1. Dont handicap yourself unless you're just buying something to tide you over for now.
True, but ive heard some amazing 5.1 setups. Either way I get your point.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, 5.1 is still "the standard" for most everything. Just saying to futureproof yourself if youre gonna invest in a nice receiver.

Mine is a 7.1 but when I moved into my new place, I went back to 5.1 b/c of how my living room is laid out.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I feel like 7.1 is somewhat overkill... and I mean it has been around now for probably at least 10 years and doesn't seem to have become the norm just yet.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
7.1 is used in bluray, ps3, ps4, xbox one (maybe 360?), PC output, home theater pc setups, etc etc.

For the average consumer, 5.1 is just fine....but 7.1 is definitely not overkill anymore. The only reason, imo, 5.1 is still the standard is b/c cable companies still use it as the norm.

I wouldnt say 7.1 sounds THAT much better than 5.1 tho. Its just some extra ambient shit. Having something beyond 5.1 would be good tho if you want to run dual subs, which I eventually plan on doing. I dunno if 5.1 units have dual sub outputs. I havent looked in a long time.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
It really boils down to what kind of consumer you are.

In syps case, a 7.1 would serve him well.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
7.1 is used in bluray, ps3, ps4, xbox one (maybe 360?), PC output, home theater pc setups, etc etc.

For the average consumer, 5.1 is just fine....but 7.1 is definitely not overkill anymore. The only reason, imo, 5.1 is still the standard is b/c cable companies still use it as the norm.

I wouldnt say 7.1 sounds THAT much better than 5.1 tho. Its just some extra ambient shit. Having something beyond 5.1 would be good tho if you want to run dual subs, which I eventually plan on doing. I dunno if 5.1 units have dual sub outputs. I havent looked in a long time.
for me, i won't go 7.1 until i have a straight up dedicated movie theater setup basically.

for now my logitech z5500 (which I think [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] had at one point too) will just keep on thump thump thumpin' :rofl:

OP
syP

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
for me, i won't go 7.1 until i have a straight up dedicated movie theater setup basically.

for now my logitech z5500 (which I think [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] had at one point too) will just keep on thump thump thumpin' :rofl:
That's what i was thinking about using in the corners of my walls :rofl:

they arent that "Attractive" though to be used in a family room by todays standards (in my opinion) I honesty just think Ill do a nice sound bar until I buy my next place, move soundbar into the bedroom :trollface: then buy a nice 7.2 setup for the main room / and/or basement entertainment area

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
that logitech setup seriously blows away most <500 actual home theater systems i have ever heard.

OP
syP

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
mine is in the closet collecting dust :wtc:

I dont game like I used to.. hell my PC speaker output it through the stock shitty speaker built into the samsung monitor :bowrofl:... and this is right after i just built a sweet gaming rig.

:jg:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
mine is in the closet collecting dust :wtc:

I dont game like I used to.. hell my PC speaker output it through the stock shitty speaker built into the samsung monitor :bowrofl:... and this is right after i just built a sweet gaming rig.

:jg:
i have the fiber optic out on my tv going right into the "receiver" on the logitech dealio and it works well.

maybe for the time being just get a hdmi "switch"

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
ordered.

(for now) til i do more research
what's kind of cool too, is it typically switches automatically for me- if i turn something on- for instance- if my ps3 is off, and i turn it on, it immediately goes to that input once it is turned on.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
I have two Yamaha receivers and love them. Pioneer Elite is very good along with Onkyo. Hit up some of your Best Buy stores and look in the clearance table because I have seen some $600 "display models" for about half price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom