OmF Man

Make It Rain Money GIF by yvngswag

20230114_184254.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I finished the brisket around 4 AM. Put it in a faux cambrio to rest and slept for 5 hours. Got up and checked the temp. Still food safe. I put it in the fridge and pulled it out an hour before dinner. Used my sous vide at 145* to heat it up again.

SjptdAi.jpg

I cut some of the flat off for burnt ends. Put them on the Weber for an hour. Didn't want to use any point on them I made a TexMex BBQ sauce that people liked. The star of the show was the point. The fat was completely rendered and the meat was easy to cut and pull apart tender. One of the best I have done. I made two types of cole slaw and some Pinto beans in the One Pot.

04F1Iug.jpg

Closer pic...

u9ShIKj.jpg

My friends stole some of it for a midnight snack and I have the rest saved for tomorrow.

jLAFdM4.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
That’s going to be my dinner. Got some 85/15 from Costco the other day. Just need to grab some fresh buns and maybe some different cheeses.

Instead of making four patties out of a pack (1.3lbs), I’m thinking about making eight, but as double burgers with the cheese in between as they cook.

Saw it on a cooking show, looked good.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
That’s going to be my dinner. Got some 85/15 from Costco the other day. Just need to grab some fresh buns and maybe some different cheeses.

Instead of making four patties out of a pack (1.3lbs), I’m thinking about making eight, but as double burgers with the cheese in between as they cook.

Saw it on a cooking show, looked good.
Bacon and cheese between

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My buddy was over for dinner last night. He went with me to Austin TX to Franklin's BBQ. He said my brisket was better than Franklin's and offered, again, to finance me if I want to open a restaurant. I don't want a big life change now but it was flattering to hear.

I just want to get a real smoker and see what I can do with it.

Reactions: MEATeorite

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I did burgers in the oven last night. So no pics because lazy oven cooking....Any way I saw to put the finished burger on the bun, rolling it in foil and stick it back in the oven for 3-5 minutes. Was a good choice to do. The buns got steamed and picked up a lot of juices that would have gone on a plate.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm trying to update my freezer meats and going through it to find older meats to cook before they get to be too old. Found some chicken thighs.

Dijon mustard, tarragon, lemon, garlic and salt paste. Indirect cook for around 45 mins until they were in the 180s. Then I moved them to direct to crisp up the skins. The flavor profile is different from BBQ but it was really good.

RZKrpkq.jpg

4Lep78n.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
My buddy was over for dinner last night. He went with me to Austin TX to Franklin's BBQ. He said my brisket was better than Franklin's and offered, again, to finance me if I want to open a restaurant. I don't want a big life change now but it was flattering to hear.

I just want to get a real smoker and see what I can do with it.
HARSH OPINIONS on this subject matter, man.

Skip the cheapos. Smokin dad bbq (youtewbz) and Meathead will back it up. I bet whatever you're doing on a kettle will outperform what you'd do on an oklahoma joe or other cheap offset. Also spend way way more time trying to keep a clean fire without nutty temp fluctuations.

I passed on a Franklin pit. Waited over year on the list. Laser cut door warps and doesnt shut after a few cooks. No damper on the stack, and 20 inch diameter vs 24 fatstack or workhorse pits.

I could have easily ended up with a workhorse pit. They're 3/8 steel throughout. Look like great build quality. But, ive seen two now that on a review have it on jackstand to tilt the pooling grease away from firebox. As far as i could tell, looks like a 30 dollar ball valve would solve this. I can tell you, id install a ball valve before doing a youtube review, but people are weird i guess.

I know it's already out there. I got a preorder for Fatstack FS120. I dont regret it. I dont see any deficiencies with their smokers, but we'll see. Wait time has sucked, but I have a lot of confidence with them. Ive seen their smokers in person before, and Eric seems like a very stand up guy. Been a lot of updates on the move for them and a lot of future purchase discounts. Not a small move for them, theyre going from competition and restaurant smokers into backyard smokers as well, along with relocating from LA to Houston. Im also getting a pretty sizeable discount for putting money down and waiting.

It'll definitely be a post when i get this thing in my backyard.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Yeah, I'll be looking for a good, used smoker when I decide to buy one. Plenty of info on youtube and sites like Amazing Ribs about all the smokers. Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping to find one where the father passed away and the kids have no idea what they have.
No prob. I think in FL you'll stumble across a good offset tenfold than out here. Also smokerbox insulation and smoker thickness is prob half the worry as it is here. Zero digs, nice things to not worry about.

Id be going same route as you considering climate. Anything millscale, fatstack, Franklin isnt cheap.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I mean, not technically a grill or smoker thing here. But got recipe from ATBBQ youtube channel for bananas foster Crem Brulé. Mrs. MEATEORITE thought rum and toasted coconut variant would be even better. She was correct. My new favorite dessert ever.

Maybe moderate difficulty to make. Just need to be attentive and seperate yolks from whites really well, otherwise turns out a bit cottage cheesy, not bad, just overshoots texture.
20230122_170401.jpeg
20230122_170640.jpeg
20230122_170442.jpeg
20230122_170339.jpeg
20230121_172538.jpeg
20230121_181720.jpeg
20230121_150204.jpeg

Thread Info