Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
How did the brisket turn out? Definitely a nice smoke ring and doesnt look dry.
Smoke flavor non existent but I'm used to that now with a pellet smoker.

I did not follow your write to a T but I have it saved and will next time.

My butcher paper didn't come up so I had to fool and it ruined the bark.

It was just OK..

Pork was better cause I never wrapped it.

11 lbs brisket took like 6 hours at 225

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I think I mentioned, I gave my old pit barrel to my nephew as he likes to cook. He did a big ass turkey for Thanksgiving and he said it came out very good.
He texts me Friday night asking for tips on doing a brisket. I ask how big, he tells me 18lbs and that he is smoking it for 10-12 people (Christmas dinner).
Gave him some tips and told him he better have a backup plan as I wouldnt recommend trying a brisket that big for his first time especially being for Christmas dinner. He started it at midnight and it was done at noon. Wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler for 4hrs. He said part of it was juicy and good but the other part was dry and kinda shitty. I'm assuming he meant the flat and the point.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Here are some late Christmas pics. Sous vide and then smoked ribs were a big hit. Prime rib leftovers ended up being used for stroganoff the next day. Damned good stroganoff. LOL

h3vtetw.jpg

37ivo54.jpg

B4vd9nn.jpg

7KIMnvM.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
My impressions using WSM with no water pan:

Reason here was chasing pit barrel cooker flavor (drippings to hit coals, burning fat creates desireable flavor).

Used a stick of applewood as barrier to bank coals. For cooking i used a chunk of mesquite and chunk of Almond wood. Maintained 250 dome temp, rotating grate every half hour. No wrap. Lots of damper adjustments and high maintenance. Sauced both sides last 20 min. Pic 3 is post sauced.

I really liked the texture of the bark. There was a crunch, like an unwrapped pork butt. Reminds me of backyard rib done over a weber kettle, by an unattentive and drunk uncle, but much better. Myself at fault here, but doneness was kind of a mess, crunchy bark but fat not rendered as much as i normally nail on WSM with waterpan. Doesnt taste like it was delicately cooked.

Very flavorful. I wouldnt have guessed it was a sauced rib while eating it. I didnt get any "grill" flavor by not using a water pan, but it was competing with a lot of flavors. I still think if grilled flavor were there, i didnt pick it up. I think the real difference here was texture, which was a neutral to negative to me vs. With a waterpan. I liked the crust, but the fat render wasnt as good. It was done at 4.5 hrs, so i dont think they got done in any kind of more expedient way than with a water pan. Maybe a rest wouldve helped.

Different, not bad, but not better IMO.

A PSA here, but Mesquite on pork is awesome. On WSM i only use one chunk, but i really love flavor.
20221231_133626.jpeg
20221231_131657.jpeg
20221231_133036.jpeg
20221231_130919.jpeg
20221231_130236.jpeg
20221231_124533.jpeg
20221231_084712.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Do you always use liquid in your pan. I only did while cooking brisket.
This cook above was with no water tray in place at all. Directly over coals. Only indirect was offset the banked coals.

Normally, same as you. Filled water pan just for brisket on WSM. WSM is really easy, stable, and predictable with temp control. I sometimes dont add water if a brisket is north of 13 lbs.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I used the rest of the prime rib in a Shepherd's Pie tonight. Diced the prime rib and put it in the bottom of the baking dish. Made a thickened beef gravy and poured that over the meat. I made some mashed potatoes and mixed saute'ed onions and carrots in them along with some aged cheddar, chives and sour cream. It's in the fridge resting now. I'll be baking it at 400* for around half an hour or until it's hot and toasty. I also had some leftover bacon in the fridge so I chopped that up to put over it along with some more of the cheddar cheese. Should make a good, late dinner tonight when Amy gets home.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
These are pretty cool, not cool enough for me to buy one at $400 when there is nothing wrong with mine lol

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
These are pretty cool, not cool enough for me to buy one at $400 when there is nothing wrong with mine lol

you know the economy is fucked when weber is discounting a special edition something

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
you know the economy is fucked when weber is discounting a special edition something
They are still claiming made in America as well. Didnt Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang mention a couple of years ago that someone he knew said they were going to start building them in another country? Or am I thinking of someone else mentioning that

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Reactions: Shawn1112

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
They are still claiming made in America as well. Didnt Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang mention a couple of years ago that someone he knew said they were going to start building them in another country? Or am I thinking of someone else mentioning that

Yeah, buddy of mine is an engineer there. Said most models are now made in China, and they're using more and more shitty parts from China.

I still use Weber as I assume nearly all brands are Chinese junk at this point.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Soon...

Man, this is a nice brisket. Thick flat and plenty of marbling for Choice. I used Lawry's seasoning salt and added FGP after the pic.

sUlh0Pw.jpg

Using the snake method. I ended up adding more hickory than this.

8o5djTK.jpg

I love the Spider Grills temp and fan control I added to the Weber. Set it at 200* and it hangs out at 200. During this cook I will be moving the temp up to 225 after a few hours and then 250 to render the fat.

5NLpwlo.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

EDIT: I'm about 6 hours into the cook. I also have some wagyu beef tallow smoking to pour on it before I wrap it.

MksWaBf.jpg

Thread Info