Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Ive been really into making salsas these days with fresh grilled veggies. I made this one which ended up using an entire can of pineapple.

Just grill up, blend. Adjust flavor, normally a lot of salt and some cilantro or lime juice to fine tune it.

Easy to make. My first salsa was rick bayless salsa verde. Pretty much what they have at Cruz Blanca brewery in west loop.

Ive kind of been just making my own loosly off this recipe.
20221203_131656.jpeg
20221203_115436.jpeg
20221203_120507.jpeg
20221203_115928.jpeg

Attachments

• 20221203_115436.jpeg
    20221203_115436.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 15

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Beef short ribs. Think this is the most unreal smoke ring ive ever aquired. Weirdly, it was done with a binder (last dab hot sauce) that was put on last night with Kosmos hot cow cover rub. Overnight dry brine. I love love love hot sauce as a binder on beef short ribs. A little heat compliments it so much IMO.

Anyway, most mild of smoke from weber kettle with mesquite and almond wood chunks. Some thin blue smoke here and there, but mostly clear. Also only 3 chunks. Took a very long time to develope the bark i wanted, 6 hrs in. Wrapped and Finished in the oven cranked to 330 degrees to render the fat.
20221210_172102.jpeg
20221210_172104.jpeg
20221210_172058.jpeg
20221210_143026.jpeg
20221210_143036.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Around Christmas every year, the stores down here come out with limit 1 ribeye roast sales. $5.99 Lb. for ribeye. I grabbed a bunch this week and cut them up into steaks. Pulled them out of the freezer for the pic. Also bought the whole ribeye pictured today. I'll probably get a couple more this week. The price is just too tasty to pass up and it gives me 6 months of ribeyes in the freezer. Also doing a 4 bone prime rib for Christmas. I gave a buddy a 3 rib roast for his Christmas present today, too. I used the trimmings to make some beef tallow and gave him a jar of that, too.

oNVMocr.jpg

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Had a bit of a disaster. Low propane, so indirect cooking was below 290. I put the center burners on the lowest setting, monitored it for ten minutes as it held steady at 350. Decided to play a round of COD. About five minutes into the game my thermometer starts beeping. I look out the window and Fuck, the bird was in flames... Grill at 800 degrees ?
Breast meat survived, it was only 76 but the lower part of the bird was absolutely smoked and now in the trash.

20221218_135521.jpg

20221218_141836.jpg

20221218_141648.jpg

20221218_112728.jpg

20221218_135548.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Flyn and Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I decided to Sous Vide Christmas dinner this year. I'm going to sous vide 4 slabs of baby backs for 48 hours at 150* to render out all the fat and make the meat tender and juicy. I have to make them a day early so I will ice bath them and put them in the fridge until Sat. morning. Then I'll smoke them for around 3 hours at low temps of around 150 if it's possible to keep it that low. I want the smoke but not much heat. Just enough to bring them up to eating temps. I have found smoking after sous videing (instead of before) adds more smoke flavor to meats and seems to keep them more juicy, too.

I'm going to sous vide the standing rib roast starting late Friday night at 135* for 12 hours, cool it off same way as the ribs and then put it in the oven at 170* which is the lowest my oven can go. I'll pull it when internal reaches 135 or so and use my flame thrower if it needs any more searing. Our big dinner is going to be Christmas Eve. Christmas will probably be left overs. Maybe rib roast and rib sandwiches or something.

Problem with sous videing stuff is the temps and times are all over the place on the internet. I'm using my past experiences to try to get juicy, rendered meats. Ribs will definitely render well. Roast probably not as much but it should be perfectly medium rare from one end to the other.

Amy put the kibosh on me using anchovies in my rib roast rub so I'm doing a basic salt/pepper/garlic maybe some onion powder. I'm dry brining the roast with the rub for 24 hours to get the salt deep into the meat. Ribs will get rubbed with Sweet Rub O' Mine. I'll rub them before sous videing and then again before I put them on the smoker. Might even touch them up with a 3rd sprinkle just before I sauce them. Sauce will be Blues Hog Champion's Blend. If I have time, I will get some pics.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
how does smoking a chuck roast work as just a chuck roast? Was thinking about it for a while.....
Cook it like a brisket. I’ve done it a few times and it comes out fastastic. I run the pit at 250, season with SPG, run till 165 interal, pull and wrap then run till 195. Rest it for 30 mins.

I pulled today’s early since I just wanted to impart the smoke flavor and it’ll cook in the chili tomorrow.

A7DC9B19-2AAB-4E73-AE71-95D615DCAC9A.jpeg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Cook it like a brisket. I’ve done it a few times and it comes out fastastic. I run the pit at 250, season with SPG, run till 165 interal, pull and wrap then run till 195. Rest it for 30 mins.

I pulled today’s early since I just wanted to impart the smoke flavor and it’ll cook in the chili tomorrow.

View attachment 144511
Jesus..

Unwrapped? Or do you wrap for stall

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I'm begging you to help me with my meat. The only thing I can't differ from is in using a pellet smoker with hickory pellets. Anything else you suggest I can do
Ah dang just seen this. Kinda rapid fire here:

I recommend dry brining the day before the cook. (Salt or bbq rub that has salt in it on elevated grate in fridge). Trim before doing this.

Definitely recommend a few things on trim;
Save tallow and trimmings to render down during the cook, use to smother during wrap and again before resting in cooler.
If you dont do brisket frequently, id recommend not trimming fat cap too aggressively. Meat side, get rid of silver skin and fat there. Thats what will inhibit bark development. Harry soo has an excellent brisket trim video on the tewbz.
If you want perfect presentation, aggressively trim the flat so its got uniform thickness. Really skinny flat areas will either dry out or overcook.

I recommend cooking fat cap toward the fire source.

Timing is kind of dependent on your cooler or oven. Looking to keep it above 140 during the rest. My Coleman cooler will normally keep a 170* IT 13 lbs brisket above 140 for about 7 hours. Longest ive ever rested a brisket has been 10 hours, there really isnt any penalty to it. I prolonged by sticking it back in the oven and kept it away from going above 170 IT. My oven will do about 170. A lot of bbq restaurants like Franklin rest them for a longer time than that.

I normally wrap with butcher paper, but on a pellet grill i get worried about a fire. Especially if you wrap with tallow. This actually happened to Harry Soo. I would do foil. I think something like the "foil boat method" is something id try to get the best of both worlds.

Id do an overnight cook if you have a reliable alarm or MEATER, and aim for done time around early or mid morning.

Before resting it in cooler, let the brisket IT get somewhere near 170. In my past experiences, if you rest at 190+ you'll get pulled beef and bark will deteriorate. Also, i recommend another round of tallow to be put on.

Ive adopted smoking at 250 and cranking to 300 after wrapping. I think higher temp helps render fat.

I wrap when bark is developed, not at a given internal temp. Ive had them go as high as 180 before ive wrapped. If you drag your finger on it and rub comes off, bark isnt set yet.

I start checking for doneness at 190 IT, I've had them done then but also high as 207. Should have resistance like a prob going through peanut butter.

Hickory is an excellent choice for brisket.

Definitely cut across grain. I like to start by cutting in half. Juiciest and best parts are the slices with point and flat, especially if the vein of fat between is fully rendered down.

Sorry if i threw in some super obvious ones in there.

Thread Info