Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Looks fantastic! Real wagyu is something special. Sorry to hear crooks wasn't as good.

I made some Shrimpy for a buddy's B Day and added a tri tip for a surf and turf. No pics because I was in the middle of a party and you have seen both of them before. The shrimp were as big as small lobster tails. Argentinian shrimp FTW!

Reactions: torquelover

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Grocery store had 8 ounce ribeyes on sale for $5. Tried a “Texas Roadhouse” copycat rub on them, not a lot of time so threw them on the cast irons and nuked some green beans from a box. Came out tasty.

B92E2449-E775-4F32-AA5E-1E012E578678.jpeg

47CFB249-4E91-4238-BEBA-B74C169427B0.jpeg

759D9AD7-9837-4000-8E53-DF24263CA823.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Not grilling but I am going to pull out the crock pot tomorrow and slow cook some chicken breasts in some of the turkey stock I made from the Christmas turkey carcasses. Homemade stock is so much more flavorful than store bought. Should be good served over rice.

I need to get up on my roof tomorrow and trim my oak tree branches before they install the new roof. Amy is going to the beach so the crock pot is a good way to get a tasty meal without much effort. I can set up the cook, take care of the branches, do some work and then toss some rice in the Instant Pot. Easy.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I got one from them this time last year. I was really disappointed in the quality. Mine wasnt marbled more then a prime brisket.
Did your have the bms score on it anywhere?
I've order real waygu ribeye from costco before and it looked WAY better then the brisket did.
+1 with crooks. No pics, i was hosting an event. Busy day other than just bbq. Received a lot of very wonderful compliments. Was an excellent brisket, I'm proud of it. And it was very well received. This brisket was incredibly moist, probably juiciest ive ever done. My regulars and i agreed, only decernable difference over a prime is how juicy it was.

I'm more than familiar with Wagyu beef. Ive had a lot of steaks and roasts. Purebred and also cross bred with black angus. To me, there's a distinct buttery beef flavor and very delicate tenderness to them.Those unique flavors and texture didnt shine through here.

I did some digging, and to my research this was purebred wagyu from New Zealand. Not cross bred with black angus like Snake river farms (BTW zero knock on them, i think their steaks are excellent) kind of disappointing to me.

My conclusions with this is to go with a high graded Wagyu, if at all. Prime is wonderful. And if you're Sams or Costco member, at
Purely my take here.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I haven't had a dry aged wagyu steak yet. Want to try that to see if it's as fantastic as people say.

That choice steak in my pic above was marbled nearly as well as most prime and was just as juicy as most. The cap portion was tender enough to cut with a fork. IMO, grading works to a point but it's not a sure thing that a prime or even wagyu will be way superior unless it's a really high grade like an A5.

Reactions: MEATeorite

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Prison Meat Loaf by Chef John. Double the bread crumbs which are soaked in milk to give the loaf a lot of filler (hence, Prison Meat loaf). The milk gives more moisture to keep the loaf juicy. I added some tomatoes from my garden and a tomato sauce glaze and then Amy made gravy from the juices. The combo of gravy and tomato sauce is 2nd level tasty. Gravy by itself would be too much fat and tomato sauce would be too sharp but they work great together when I layered them. I'm trying to learn how to layer flavors from Michelin chef videos to step up my game.

BaWPBgt.jpg

qXSWB6t.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Slacking on the after pics these days. Pork butt was dry brined with kosher salt and Kosmos honey chipotle and also Volcanic pepper's Thor's hammer as slather. Beef short ribs were Kosmos Q hot cow cover and Puckerbutt Miso ghost reaper.

Butt was sweet, short ribs were very umami and savory. Both had a nice bite of heat.

Lately ive been using extemely hot hot sauces midway in my dry brine, and have been rewarded with spectrum of good flavors. The "unusably hot" hot sauces lose heat potency over the cook, but give a nice bite to it. Audience was all about a nice bite of heat.

No science to back this up. But i think dry brine makes a weaker smoke ring. I dont have anything to support this other than my experience. If it is collateral damage for dry brine flavor, im okay with that. #1 is always taste.

Overnight cook on WSM. I like to add an ice cream scoop of tallow on my cooks before bed.
20220115_160605.jpeg
IMG_20220116_234425_413.jpeg
20220115_205846.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Shawn1112 Shawn1112

When you grill chicken wings how long is the cook?

In the past I been goin way too long, drying them out 35-40 min.

Tomorrow my plan, 450 degrees, maybe 2-3 min a side, then roll it down to 400
Wings off the Q, 15 min total cook time (I'll check internal temp of course)

Its exciting
On gas grill I always grill them as close to 450 degrees as possible. 5 min a side maybe, pull at 165ish. Simmer for about 5 minutes in franks and butter if doing hot wings.

Reactions: Spivitz

Thread Info